New Member: Looking for Flathead Catfish Tips

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Buckeye Bullhead, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Buckeye Bullhead

Buckeye Bullhead New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey everyone Im new to the board and catfishing. Been fishing over 30 years and always felt catching a cat was a waste of time. Recently took my young son to Mosquito for some crappies and was fishing a leech off a bobber and hit into some cats and "WOW" now Im hooked.

Dont know too much about the species yet but believe they were channel cats all in the 20 - 28 inch range and fought like a wild tiger. Ive read the boards and would really love to tie into a big ol flathead so here is my question.

Everyone says fish live or cut bait, (gills, shad etc.) but fishing with a young one makes it hard to hook up a newly caught panfish on the old catfish rig. Ive been preaching catch and release his whole life.

So will I have any luck using the things I read about on here like shrimp, bacon, liver or should I stay with leeches, a big old clump of crawlers, big shiners, or maybe even crawdads.

Can I mix some old stinky rotten meat with some type of live bait for the best of both worlds ?

Any and all help appreciated. It would make my day to see my son tie into a big ol cat and have the fight of his life.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Hey everyone Im new to the board and catfishing. Been fishing over 30 years and always felt catching a cat was a waste of time. Recently took my young son to Mosquito for some crappies and was fishing a leech off a bobber and hit into some cats and "WOW" now Im hooked.

Welcome to the BOC buddy, always great to have another new member. Especially from Ohio.

Dont know too much about the species yet but believe they were channel cats all in the 20 - 28 inch range and fought like a wild tiger. Ive read the boards and would really love to tie into a big ol flathead so here is my question.

Everyone says fish live or cut bait, (gills, shad etc.) but fishing with a young one makes it hard to hook up a newly caught panfish on the old catfish rig. Ive been preaching catch and release his whole life.

Hmmmmm, this is tricky. My guess is to tell him that sometime you must use fish to catch bigger fish. Just that small fish eat big fish. Whole cycle of life thing. Your best chance of catching big ol flatties is with live bait.

So will I have any luck using the things I read about on here like shrimp, bacon, liver or should I stay with leeches, a big old clump of crawlers, big shiners, or maybe even crawdads.

Can I mix some old stinky rotten meat with some type of live bait for the best of both worlds ?

These kind of baits are great for channels. They love cut bait, stinky bait, leeches, crawlers, shiners, gold fish, crawdads, chicken liver, stinkbait, all will work. If going after larger channels then live bait is great for them also.

Any and all help appreciated. It would make my day to see my son tie into a big ol cat and have the fight of his life.

3. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC.

4. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    i explained to my boys the diferance between bait and fish to release. they know at what size to keep or throw back. and when to stock up on gills for me or to throw them back.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you want any chance at catching a flathead you will have to use live bait of some kind, be it gills ,shad,small carp, or suckers. Maybe you can temper the argument with the fact that gills and shad are the predominant forage species for all predator fish from crappeis and bass, channels, pike, musky, and blues and flatheads..... etc. So if you want to catch them you have to use what they eat day to day. I spent my first 30 yrs using worms,liver, and crawdads to catch catfish and only caught one over 5lbs. The first time I used live gills on the Muskingum river I caught 3 or 4 flatheads and 2 channels. All were under 6lbs or so, but I caught more that night than in the previous 10 years combined. So you have to use the correct baits. Channels will eat the daylights out of cut shad and cut gill. Flats prefer live 80 percent of the time. Cold water being the exception. If you can you gotta fish rivers for a better than average chance at a flathead. I've been catching them the last ten yrs and have yet to catch one in a lake. And I have fished some lakes known for them, like Buckeye, salt fork, dillon, burr oak. I just have better luck in the river. If you want, come down to the river some night this summer and I'll take you out on my slow old boat and give you some pointers on flathead fishing you can take back home and try out.

6. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC Jeff, its good to have you. Your question has already been answered very well but I must say you should really take Skip up on his offer. Its not every day someone will take you out and show you the ropes. Just a thought. If you chose not to there is plenty of information here for you to learn some handy things. Good luck to ya'!

7. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    if s-dude ever invited me to fish w/him i'd jump all over it! :lol: i don't necessarily agree with bait having to be live to catch flats but it should be as FRESH as possible. i have caught more flats on cut shad than live gills, suckers, chubs, carp, and whatever else combined.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome to the BOC. You have had some very sage advice. As for the child, they understand better than you might think. My two, 9 and 10 know that big fish eat little fish and that the difference between a minnow and a 9 inch bluegill is that a 9 inch bluegill gets you a shot at a fish as heavy as your child. They know it and have no problem with it. This is from a man that doesn't carry a stringer or a livewell. My baitwell is just for that bait. I use bluegill, chubs, shad, carp, sucker, crappie, bass, small catfish, etc... Get the thought of liver, hotdog,worm, leech, mealworm, beef liver, out of your head. They are the preferred food of channel cats 3 lb and under. Cut the side of a bluegill that has perished in the heat and put the fillet on a hook. You will be amazed at the difference in size of the channels that respond. Places that you swore only had good numbers of 1/2 to2 lb. cats will yield 5-9 lb fish regularly (except Buckeye Lake). When you hook up with a few 7-8lb cats, you'll sell your bass gear.... or keep them to catch bait!

Welcome to your new addiction and if you are ever in the area call me (numbers in the sponsor section) and we'll be happy to show you the ropes.

Welcome,

Shawn Dostie
    (Coshocton)

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!!

10. bullhead69

bullhead69 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Your best bet for catching a flathead is using live bait, the bigger the better! shrimp and liver will catch alot of channel, cut bait could land you a big blue, but if your targeting flatheads the best is live bait. fish about 20yds off the bank also. They come around the banks at night to eat all the hiding bait. if you got a blue gill on there about 8 to 10 inches long you should let him run quite a ways, always keep your real open so he can take line, dont want to lose a pole! What i like to do is count to about 30 seconds with a big live bait then set the hook, even if he swallows it, at least you dont miss him. I'd use at least 20 lb line also with a 10 inch float, depending on how deep the place is but prime time summer i usually fish about 5 to 7 ft. Another important thing is night time, that is when the big ones usually feed. Hope this helps and good luck.

11. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Welcome to the B.O.C.

12. Brian Wheeler

Brian Wheeler New Member

State:
    ohio
    1st off welcome to the BOC i'm new to the board myself,but not too catfishing.like everybody else live bait first,i have caught flatheads on night crawlers,cut bait . but live gills, goldfish,carp,crappie( can you say bass on here????)suckers.are the best
    BIG BAIT BIG FISH my motto.

13. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC, yer gunna luv it here!!

14. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Welcome to the BOC!!!!!!!

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Leechs are a good cat bait. Any of the other questions you ask on bait can work at different times. Do like the rest of us. When we can't get live or cut bait we experiment with other baits. Also, Welcome to the BOC. Glad to have you on board.:0a25::0a25::0a18:

16. Ms. Whiskers

Ms. Whiskers New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Flatheads love WD40! Spray a little on your live crawler & they will gobble it up! Also, anise from the baking section at the grocery store. Use it the same way as you would the WD40. Also, frozen chicken livers (frozen so they will stay on the hook) & Shad gizzards. Flatheads are my favorite catches & all of the above has brought me luck. Have fun!

17. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    WELCOME TO THE BOC!! CHECK OUT THE LIBRARY FOR SOME REALLY GOOD TIPS ON THE CATS

18. codey72

codey72 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Try wheaty's balls held together by mountain dew. Then kepp that inside some panty-hoes so they don't fall apart.:cool2: A trick my dad taught me:cool2:

19. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the site I'm sure you'll enjoy as I have alot of reading to catch up on my self