new member looking for flathead catfish in Rend Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by hock_paul, Jul 5, 2008.

1. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hello, fellow catfish fanatics! I'm a new member here and am very excited to be trading information with a bunch of guys who are as fanatical about catfish as i am. Does anybody fish for flatheads at Rend lake, and if so, where would be a good place to start. I've always had excellent success for channel cats there, but have yet to tangle with a shovelhead on pole and line at this lake. I was thinking the north end would probably be best, possibly fishing the old river channel in the big muddy arm during daylight, then moving to the adjacent flats at night. Any info. would surely be appreciated. THANKS!

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    first of all welcome to the boc and maybe someone from that area can help and good luck in you persute of a big flatie:wink:

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome from Missouri Paul. This is the best outdoors site i've found. Cruze around the library's and i think you will soon agree.

4. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC brother!! Remember to take a look at our member libary.:roll_eyes:

5. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Welcome to the BOC. You can learn a lot on here. Lots of good people with lots of info. Good Luck To You Chasing Them Flatheads and whatever else you may be fishin for!

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Paul Welcome to the BOC. You will love it here. Check out the north end stump fields and the river channel for flats on Rend lake.:0a25::0a25::0a23:

8. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey like Mickey said, the stumps at the north end are a good spot but be very careful up that way. When we say stump fields...we mean stump fields. If you get into the wrong area there will be stumps surrounding you, I recommend going out during the day to get your path and scope it out before trying it at night. Take it from me, I lost a prop and bent another in just a few hours. A member here, Big Muddy fishes that area all the time and might be able to give you a few more pointers.

9. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    welcome to tha B.O.C.good luck on catching that flat at rend.

10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    you need to wait about a week before they will start biting again. the majority of them have been pulled out of waltonville dam and bonnie dam. live shad works better than gills in this lake for some reason. just like you said its a good idea to fish the channel of the big muddy arm and the flats around it. if you head to the waltonville dam, just work from the pumps to the tressle, and you can also find some south of the tressle. just stay in the boat lanes. they are marked this year with bouys.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Welcome to the BOC. ><[[[[º>

12. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Welcome to the BOC

BIGCAT GarryEads:wink:

13. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC. Rend lake has potential record size fish swimming around. Looking forward to seeing you post that big boy on a thread. Good fishing.

14. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well its about time they marked it lol

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    The refuge bouys aren't boat lanes in Rend... I talked to the DNR guys out there. They aren't marked... so drive slow!

16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Paul.