New member Introduction and a question

Discussion in 'LOCAL MARYLAND TALK' started by Amigo108, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    I posted this before but it seems to have gotten lost in space, so if this double posts I apologize...

Hey guys,

I found this site as I searched for information on Catfishing in Maryland and I'm really glad I did. I'm an intermediate fisherman and I wanted to start going after Catfish. I was hoping to find a club or organization so I could 1. learn the proper techniques and good spots from some seasoned veterans and 2. Have some fun and maybe make some new fishing buddies. One thing I hate is that I never have anyone to fish with and though I almost always fish alone, I MUCH prefer company.

Let me give you all a brief introduction, My name is David Riggin, 39, father of 4 girls (they're not into fishing for more thatn an hour or so at a time). I'm a General Contractor out of Columbia Maryland. I currently have no boat but my financial situatin may be improving soon and I might have one next spring. (BTW, for anyone with a boat that wants to go out with me, I'll happily pay all gas and expenses plus if you like bring some extra home cooked food prepared by my wife as a way of showing my great appreciation.

Anyone wishing to contact me can email me - HomePro (at) Comcast.net

Finally, although I see an abundance of information on baits/rigs/tactics for getting the bigguns on this site and elsewhere on the net, I was wondering if any of you had any tips on where to start looking for information to teach myself how to be better at this hobby (in case I have no takers on my request/offer to have somone more knowlegeable take me under their wing). Also, my largest Catfish to date is a 7 pounder out of the Potomac caught by luck on a plastic worm and a Texas rig. After seeing the pics of the size of some of these monsters that could grab your line, I realize that I hopefully will need a beefier rod/reel combo (the 7 pounder felt like a log coming up with my light action rod) any advice on a good all around setup is also appreciated.

2. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    Good to have you aboard new brother. As far as information goes this is the place to find it. Unfortunately that is too far for me to hike with my boat or I would go fishin with ya. As far as get togethers there is a national get together then each state usually has a get together once a year, from what I have seen I have not been able to attend one of these get togethers, but I am hoping to go to the next one Illinois has.

3. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC! You will enjoy the people and info.

4. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC David!!

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    A warm welcome is sent from across the river. Reps to you to get you started!

6. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    David welcome to the B.O.C.David you can click on the members map to see who's in your area.You're gonna like this site.

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Welcome to the BOC! If you want info check the library link out! Great stuff! Have any questions just ask!

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi David! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you! Glad to see you jumping in with both feet, nice introduction of yourself. You'll have info coming out your ears before long! :big_smile:

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    hi david and welcome to the boc , i wont tell you wrong if your serious about a rod and reel , i use a 7000 abu and 7' ugly stick with 30# big game line the reel sells for $99. the rod $27. the line $6 a spool all at walmart i use 7 or some times 8/0 hooks i also use 5oz bank sinkers i fish alot of current on the ohio river iv caught alot of nice fish some due in part from info iv picked up from this site , i would highly recommend spending time on here reading learning and taking notes , as far as the offer to pay for gas heck yeah come on down il take you out in my boat we'll split the gas and skip lunch buy dews and chips instead lol good luck

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    welcome to the Hood:big_smile:

11. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC David. The one thing I would like to tell you is to take your time. There is more information here than you might ever need and you can't even think about reading it all in a "Month of Sundays". Most of it is great information but there will be some you might not need or want to know. As for learning how to catfish, the only way to learn is practice, practice and more practice. I've been fishing on and off for 45 yrs and I still learn something almost daily. As far as equipment goes, figure out the type of equipment you like to fish with. For instance, some people think that baitcasters are the only thing made that will catch a catfish, while I personally prefer to fish with spinning reels. It's just a matter of preference and what you are comfortable with. Again take your time, figure out what you want and buy good eq. the first time. I have been through buying the cheaper stuff to get by then have to buy a little better eq. later. Hope this helps. Have fun and catch a lot of fish.

Tony

12. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Dave Welcome to the BOC i see you live in maryland and are looking for infomation about catfish. You will fine everything you need here in the brotherhood and I am alway more then happy to help in anyway i can. I am the president of the maryland chapter of American catfish anglers tournament series (ACATS). We hold tournaments all over maryland and we had a monthly magazine about catfish lots of great info to be had in there.

I also run a guide service on the potomac river for catfish so i can help get you start on the right path. Take some time and check out my website and drop me a email and we can see about putting you on some big cats and finding you a fishing buddy i have some member down your way and they are also members here i know bryan and johnny will jump in here soon to help out as well

check out my site and the maryland acats page there i think you will fine we are just what your looking for a great group of guys who love to catfish.

13. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    hey brother you going to like here. man i just love it here, there are just not a better bunch of guys to meet. you might have a couple of guys that might not agree with what ever you say but over all it a great place. you will find some one to fish with here. and also find alot of advice on here. the BOC has for sure made me a better fisherman.

14. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    ho shoot i forgot to welcome you. enjoy your stay and post often.

15. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.

16. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys (and gal)! I'm really looking forward to knowing you and hopefully learning a thing or two while I'm at it. Got the Avatar working, the little one is my youngest, she just turned one. She could be a future Cat hunter, you never know!

Tim, I'll send you an email from your site.

17. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    welcome to the boc david this is an awsome site tou will learn alot here. good luck to ya.

18. ayokay005

ayokay005 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    big maryland welcome david!
    this site is pretty cool huh? Well im up here in northern harford county on a great river , but ive fished all over the state when i was growing up. love catfishin !!! Again welcome aboard!

19. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome to BOC David :)

20. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC. Most of what I have learn about catfishing as been throu good ole guys that were willing to teach their tricks, but you've came to the right spot for a truely knowledgable group of good people to learn from. Good Luck and enjoy your reading