New Member here, question on "bait choice" poll......

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Flatspontoons, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Flatspontoons

Flatspontoons New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi Gents,

have looked over the site for a few days.....looks great with tons of info....just joined today.

Particularly interested in catching big flatheads. I'm 48 and have caught thousands of channel cats over the years, a few blues, but only a couple small flatheads (accidentally) when fishing for channels in a small river when i was in high school. I have been bowhunting and practicing falconry for the last 30 years and have been out of catfishing all that time, but have decided to lay-off the bowhunting for awhile and start trying to land some big flatheads (could never lay-off falconry, which is the sport of training hawks and falcons to hunt wild game....awesome sport!!)

Anyway, I live in Lewisville, Texas (20 miles north of Dallas).....Lake Lewisville is a 29,000 acre reservoir only 5 minutes from my house. World Record flathead was caught in it in 1982 (91 lbs.), then again in 1988 (97 lbs.)......understand that flathead record is now 123 lbs out of Kansas?

So I have a great place (plus a few rivers close by) to fish flatheads.....getting a boat in the next 4-6 weeks.......

I have also bought and watched (about a million times! :smile2: ) all seven of the "In-Fisherman" catfish video's.....my favorite is "Flathead Catfish: A Day on the River" with Doug Stange and Steve Hoffman.....great educational video for flathead-info......

Seems eveyone likes to use bluegills and other sunfish for flathead bait. I wonder if they are their "favorite" live bait for flatties because they are pretty quick and easy to catch? I've heard that 5" -9" bullheads are the "ultimate" flathead bait.....the "experts" say bullheads will generally stay alive and vigorously wiggling on a hook FAR longer than any sunfish and will live much longer in livewells, also.....I have a little "baitpond" where I can funnel-trap 20-25, 5"-8" bullheads day or night in about 30-45 minutes :wink:, so bullheads will likely be my "bait-of-choice" when I hit the lakes and rivers for flatheads!

Nice to join-up with you fella's!

Richard

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    First of all Welcome to the BOC!!!

Bullheads are awesome Flattie bait. So are any type of Bluegill, Shad, Skipjack(Ifyou can get them) Goldfish, Israeli Carp.

Your best bet is any type of bait fish you can get out of the body of water you're fishing. If I could get Bullheads I'd take them every trip, along with large Bluegills and Live Shad & Goldfish. Suckers, small Channel cats, Live Carp, and Shiners are also good.

You should do good on one or more of them.
    Best of Luck to you!!!!!
    Hope this helps you out!!!:wink::big_smile::cool2:

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Richard. Live bluegill here on the Wabash in central Indiana, fished down in the snaggiest holes you can find.

4. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Hi, I am fairly new here myself, have a lot of time on my hands and have read alot of the library and stay current on the posts that interest me. To summarize the best bait.....whatever lives in the water you are fishing. Make sure to size the hook to the bait, and hunt those big flatties down. That is what interested me in flathead fishing. It's more like hunting than fishing. Bigger bait, bigger fish, harder to find. Good luck and let us know how you did.

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Richard welcom to the BOC from Missouri. Around here most people like bluegill and sunfish. Most prefer the sunfish as the stay alive longer and are more lively.

Tom

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the boc, this site is full of great people and information. I'm sure you can learn everything you need right here for free

7. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC brother!! Live gills here in NC and also bigol' gold fish!!!!:big_smile:

8. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    if its legal where u are small crappie or sandbas make hella good flatty bait after those 2 id say live capr 6-8 inches long then live gills of any size

9. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Richard, a big welcome to the BOC from PA. :0a25:Out here bait of choice is bluegills. Suckers work preety good also. As far as how long they live on the hook. I've had gills that were out for a five hour swim and when I was heading home I took them off the hook and they swam away. That was a really slow night of fishing.:angry:

10. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    check out Big George's take on this from catfish talk lol !!!:smile2:

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Richard.

12. Flatspontoons

Flatspontoons New Member

State:
    Texas
    Willcat,

Who's Big George? His "take" on what? My post on this thread?

Where in Texas do you live?

I assume "catfishtalk" is a website, so I'll do a search and see what's up.....

Richard

13. Chris Kimble

Chris Kimble New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Richard,
    Nice to see another falconer/flathead fisherman! Looking forward to hawking in your state this fall.... Good luck catchin them big flats ; )

Chris

14. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Welcome

15. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Welcome to the B.O.C! Glad to have you among us. I own several of the "In Fisherman" Catfish vids myself. They are pretty darn good but you will find things here that are just as useful I promise.
    Being a lifelong Catfisherman but a newbie to Flathead fishing my first thoughts on bait would be this, "Live" bait preferrably something native to the body of water you fish is a must but first thing and a huge challenge for me has been locating them. This summer I've spent lots of dollars on Goldfish and gone through quite a few buckets of bait I caught myself with not one Flathead to show. Just last weekend however I think I began to crack the code. I'm sure if you stick with the pursuit of these awesome gamefish you will find it very rewarding. Best of luck to you in your quest!

16. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    first of all, i think falconry is an intrigueing and kick-ass hobby. second of all, my all-time favorite bait is war-mouth(i dunno what they call them in texas but it is also called rock-bass, goggle eye, etc, but they are a hybrid blue-gill). hope this helps.