New member here from Gaston Lake.

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Katmaster Jr., Oct 22, 2005.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hi, I'm new to this site. I registered on the old site last spring. But never got to get on here much.....Was fishing too much, and still am too.

Are there more people on here that fish Gaston Lake ?

I'm from Gaston Lake, NC. I dont live on the lake but I live close to it and fish there almost everyday of the summer, and almost every weekend of the rest of the year. Im 15 year's old and so far my biggest catfish out of gaston is a 43 pound Blue Cat which I caught off the bank. I've also caught a few big channel cats 10-15 lber's, but I caught them out of the Roanoke River. I fish with my dad, because I cant drive a car yet. And my dad and I really enjoy fishing together. Right now we are on the bank, due to boat problems. But we just got a new motor for our "smaller" boat which is '15 foot. And we plan to be back in a boat by mid-November. And we might have our "big" boat which is '21 foot, on the water by next fall.

We also do alot of saltwater fishing. Mostly for Cobia, Sharks, ect. at the Outer Bank's around Cape Hatteras. And sometimes we go out with my dad's friend that is a saltwater charter boat captain. We mostly go after Marlin and Dolphin when we go out deep. But plan on going this fall for King Mackeral

Anyway, I plan on getting on this website alot more now. And hope to make many more catfishing friend's.

Good "cattin" to ya !!!

2. fishfanatic101

fishfanatic101 New Member

I fish lake Gaston in January and February and sometimes march. I live in Winston Salem so its a pretty good drive for me. I started fishing there to try and catch a walleye. I had mo success with the walleye but did discover a heck of a blue cat fishery. I've got a few forty plus pounders out of that lake. i think Gaston is a fantastic lake to fish, with some big stripers to boot.

3. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

WELCOME TO THE BOC
    15 years old?WOW you have more experience than a lot us old men
    my hat is off to you.You are going to be hard to handle as you get older.
    KIRK :eek:

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey, fishfanatic101, for walleye help, may I suggest you go to this website......www.fishlakegaston.com and find the post "walleye". Theres a guy on that website that gave alot of advice on them and hes got pictures up there of trophys that he's caught. And yes Lake Gaston is a great lake, most people dont know about how good the blue cat fishing is on that lake, and also it is great for trophy striper's.....I got a 27 lb, 35 inch striper a few years ago in there. I catch alot of striper's while catfishing with cut-bait in there.

capt. kirk, dont know if I have as much as experience as you guys do. I'm still learning alot, (aprecciate the kind words though) :D and will always be learning new things about the fine sport of catfishing. I enjoy reading all of yall's post, and learning from them. You all seem like great fisherman and people. :)

good "cattin" to ya !!!

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    These are some pics of some nice cats and a striper that were caught in gaston lake by my dad and I this past weekend. 11 fish total, 8 blues, 2 channels, and 1 striper. The striper was caught by my dad and was 10 pounds. The one picture with me holding up that blue cat was the biggest blue cat of that trip, which was 27 lb......taken on a whole white perch.
    All the rest of the cats were 15 lb and under.

Im going again this weekend, the weathers supposed to be nice too. The cats are really on now here at gaston.

good luck :)

BTW, that picture was taken on halloween night, thats why my dad looks like the "cat in the hat"........LOL :D :D :D