New member fishing the Congaree River

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by congareecatfisher, Jun 13, 2008.

1. congareecatfisher

congareecatfisher New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fish in the congaree river a good bit and want to catch some of the big blue cats i have been hearing about. What is the best gear and location to do this on the congaree. Is Downtown Columbia good by the Gervais St. Bridge.

2. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC!!:big_smile: You are going to love it here. There is a lot of nice people on this site that will just about do anything for you to help you out. Also refer or go to our member libary for great articles, hints, and advise.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Adam.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Welcome to the BOC. ><[[[[º>

5. johnboy

johnboy New Member

State:
    Columbia SC
    I have never fished for cats that far up....but it is relatively shallow there as you know, and those bigguns are going to be in the deeper holes...however, there are tons of em in the congaree, and I am sure some good cut bait wont sit out there too long before something comes along, maybe even a striper!

6. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC!

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC!!!! Great group of folks here, and GREAT info as well!
    Bill in Bennettsville

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC hope you find all you want here if not just post it and someone will help you out and good luck fishing

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!!:cool2::big_smile:

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Welcome to the BOC. Not sure about near Gervais Street, but maybe you can be the first to report from there. Although there's sure to be some cats there in the rocks, below I-77, things get real interesting, real quick. Don't know if you fish from a boat or not, but if you can get through the shallow areas, it is better once you pass below 77, with numerous deep holes along the outside of curves. Good luck with the fishing!

11. weshossman

weshossman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Welcome to the BOC . Good luck with those big cats!

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When I was in school in Cola I used to fish just below Gervais street quite a bit, for cats and stripers. It was great for small channels and a small blue now and then, but I never saw anything above about 6 pounds there. I have grown up a bit on my catfishing since then, so maybe I could have done better? Personally, though, I'd gop down river a bit and look for the deep water on the bends. A simple carolina rig with enough weight to hold bottom, a short 6 to 14 inch leader, and a piece of fresh cut bait should do the trick. Look for the deep water in the bends, and also fish around any good laydown trees and other cover you can find. You could also fish live baits at night for flatheads, too!

13. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I kept a change of clothes in my car and would go to the bridge between classes at USC to catch white bass when they came up the river. I fished for cats on down river near Olympia. There is still good riverbank fishing for cats at the boat landing at the end of Rosewood Dr.

14. Gamecock

Gamecock New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I talked with a guy in the bait shop yesterday who supposedly pulled 100lbs worth of cats from under the bridge earlier that morning. He said once the sun got bright, they quit biting. Not sure what he was using, but he was buying live herring when I talked with him so I am guessing he was using, well, live herring. Good luck, I may be willing to give it a try one of these days.

15. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    :0a25: to the BOC from arizona!!!!

16. turkeyman

turkeyman New Member

State:
    South Carolina, Swansea
    Welcome to the BOC. Never tried for cats that far up only striper. I would have to guess that a little down river would be better.:big_smile:

17. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Adam! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad you're here! :big_smile: