New Member-First Post, Congaree Trip:

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Gamecock, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Gamecock

Gamecock New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    A friend and I dropped in at 601 last night around 9:00 and headed up river to hit a few bends. Not bad, fished for about 3 hours and pulled in a 12lb blue and a 4lb channel. We fished both live and cut bait, but they both hit on cut bream. We also fished with herring with some good bites but nothing would hang on. Our first hole was 20ft. or so deep and we had very little luck. Our second spot was less than 10ft. and we had loads of activity, rods shaking all over the place and two fish to show for it. The third spot was also a deep dud, about 25ft.

It is not usual that my shallow spots will out fish my deeper spots, but this was quite prevalent last night. If this is a trend, take is as my tip of the week. Shallow holes in the middle of the night with cut herring and cut bream.

This seems to be a great board with great people and loads of information. I look forward to reading and posting more.

2. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Welcome aboard. You will not find a better place to get info on all aspects of the catfishing game. Glad to have you with us.

Richard

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!!:cool2::big_smile:

Any night out is a good night and at least you didn't get skunked!!!:wink::big_smile:

4. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Welcome to the BOC Trey and thanks for the report from down around 601. Glad to have you here with us on the BOC.

5. Gamecock

Gamecock New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I appreciate the warm welcome to the board. I live in Cayce, 5 minutes from USC campus, so if there is anyone near who likes to get out and about, just let me know. Most of the time, we drop in at the Old State landing (?-I think it is the Thomas E. Newman Landing-?) but it has been pretty dry as of late and we have fried a few props in the last couple of years there dodging the ever-moving rocky shallows. When we get out, our averages are pretty good, usually at least one 20+ pounder a trip - the last we had a 3lb blue, a 22lb blue, and a 33lb blue all from one hole. Anyhow, I just wanted to express my thanks for the welcoming, Locals...shoot me a message.

6. Gamecock

Gamecock New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I had a message requesting some photos...here are a few:

Attached Files:

7. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    welcome to the BOC. there is no animal any braver than a gamecock.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Trey.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Trey Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

10. turkeyman

turkeyman New Member

State:
    South Carolina, Swansea
    Just wanted to say welcome, and its nice to hear of somebody fishing that strech of river. :big_smile:

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC Trey. Sounds like you had a goodtime.

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Trey! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you! :cool2:

13. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Trey welcome aboard from Bama land. I usually head to SC 2 or 3 times a year but I always fish Santee. My buddy lives in Columbia so next time I'm up that way, we may hit you up to take us out on the river. I'd like to learn it and fish a new spot.

So welcome and oh yeah Roll Tide!!!

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC from Bennettsville. Great report!
    Bill in SC

15. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome aboard Trey.

Thanks for the report - good details and all!

16. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Fished that same area last Friday and had a great night. I've never had nearly the kind of success in that area with any other bait as I've had when using fresh bream. Live or cut, nothing comes close. I wasted enough money on feeding shad and herring to the gar fish to buy a new outboard before I realized you weren't really putting forward your best effort unless you got out and caught some bream to fish with.

I typically fish deep timber in the daytime but move to shallower water at night, especially during the summer months. The beauty of fishing in a river like the Congaree is you can actually spread your lines through a very diverse set of circumstances from a stationary vantage point. We usually move to the top end of a sand bar a couple of hours after dark. I'll anchor down about a third of the way out from the the shallow side, just about casting distance above the top of the deep hole. I set out 8 lines starting 4 with cut bait and 4 with live bait alternated down each side of the boat with the cut bait in front. The front line is kept shorter and the cut bait is easier to keep stationary so that my lines don't get crossed.

There is often a swale in the bottom contour where the water current cuts across from the top of the inside curve to the outside. I like my 2 inside/short lines to follow this track. Fish moving up and down the river tend to follow this same transition accross from inside to out and vice versa. Also this little dip creates a pocket that holds some forage. I like to use a flat weight on these lines as it holds the bottom better and keeps my bait close to where I cast it.

The big fish, especially blues, may hold in the deep water but numerous times during the night they will cruise up onto the sandbar in search of schools of bait. While they may spend more time in the deep water, I feel that any fish in the shallows is probably feeding more agressively. I spread my 4 rear lines over as much of the sand bar as possible, feeding out quite a bit of extra line. This zone is fairly free of debris so I can get away with this and the fish here are moving alot so I don't worry so much about finding them cause they'll find me. I use an egg weight here. While it keeps my bait close to the bottom, a little wiggle can free it to roll around on the sand thus allowing me or my bait to move it around some. These are the rods that catch me the most fish.

A fish holding in deep water is sitting at home relaxing. When it's time to go to work he is cruizing, I count on my outside lines to offer him a trip to the fridge instead of going out to eat. I cast these 2 right to the tip of any downed timber, using a heavy flat weight here and being certain to stop my line as soon as I feel it touch bottom otherwise I'll be fighting more timber bass than catfish.

I use my fish finder alot more during the day just marking areas that hold fish. While I may be able to hit one in the nose with a piece of cutbait and entice him to bite, I know he will be feeding the adjacent shallows once the sun starts to go down. At night I use the screen more as a geographical tool. I know if a deep hole held fish that day and I set up my buffet nearby, when they do decide to grab a bite to eat they won't be able to resist. By setting up the way I do I am constantly offering bait to feeding fish with the key word being 'feeding'. A lot of people suggest moving around more than I do and in larger bodies o water I agree, but I've found that by using this approach, I've done just as well holding in a few areas and watching the bite go from deep water to shallow as I have by bouncing from hole to hole. The terrain on a river the size of the Congaree is fairly easy to read and you can quickly figure out where the transitions are.

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Welcome to the BOC. ><[[[[º>

18. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
  19. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Welcome to the BOC!

The Cayce Landing and fishing the Congaree brings back many, many memories for me.

20. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Welcome to the BOC man you're gonna love it here! Great people to be around.