New Member And My Blue Springs Lake Fishing Report

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Blade4130, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Hi Everybody:big_smile:

I am so glad I stumbled upon this site. Hopefully I will meet up with some of you guys on the water in the future. I was born and grew up in Richmond Missouri as a kid. Besides a short stent in Atlanta a couple of years ago I have lived in Independence since I was seven. My fishing year basically starts out going spoonbilling on the 15th with a little cattin until that season ends. Then I am down to business on catching catfish the rest of the year. Off course some days are spent catching crappie, all species of bass, and I love going for the occasional big carp. I haven't been going fishing much at all the past three years. I don't want to give a big sob story, but basically lost a great job due to a severe knee injury that happened on the job. I am finally going to get a full knee replacement next month "as it wasn't my fault" and <lol> yes I did pass the drug test. I hate drugs and I rarely drink. Long story, but anyway at the time I had to make some great sacrafices. I had to sell both boats and my place at Truman Lake. The past couple of months knowing that my surgury is about to come, being able to start school this fall, being able to work full time again and start a new direction in life as far as occupation the light is very near. Even though I don't have a boat and I can't walk for a great distance my urge for fishing is back. I will have to miss some of August, all of September and maybe October after surgury, but I am doing all I can now. So on with my little fishing report.

I have been fishing Blue Springs Lake. Reasons are for it's only five minutes away from my house and I have one spot that is not a long walk. So many don't realize it's there and those that do must be to lazy. The past two weeks I have been fishing the spot is open when there are many people at the lake. Anyway, I have been killing it with the exeption of last Saturday night at Blue Springs with channels in the three to ten pound range. Occasional accidental small flathead on nightcrawlers. Still, even Saturday night I manage to catch five channels with the biggest going seven pounds. I will take that anynight, but compared to what I have been doing that was my worst night. My little spot has a drop off into 20ft water about 50ft from shore with shallows ranging with 2 - 5ft with tree's on one side. I have been doing best there. My other pole is set out on the point in the middle in maybe five to seven foot of muddy/rocky bottom water. I have been doing very well there, but second best. The right side of it rarely gets hit at all lately with the third pole. That water is about 15ft deep with a very solid gravely bottom. I don't have to cast out very far at all.The best bait has been nightcrawlers and fresh cut bluegill. Fresh shad may be better, but I am not spending the time looking and throwing out for any. Shad guts, chicken liver, etc, bought from 40 woods bait shop hasn't done much at all. Nightcrawlers and fresh cut bluegill has been whats working for me. If you go there fish late. Rarely has anything been happening until after ten o'clock when the boat traffic is gone. That lake can get very busy during the day especially on the weekends. The hits have been coming in runs all throughout the night. Some catfisherman have start their cattin on boats putting in after midnight at the marina and have been doing well. Talking to them and their success has been is spots like mine. Deep water to a good shallow flat near points.

I opted not to fish all night and in stead try the early morning bite this time. It's 4:46am and I am about to head out. I will give a report on how well I do. Has anybody been fishing crooked river at all this year near from Harden Mo to the mouth into the Missouri River? I am going there Thursday night and will be fishing at my dads place at Pomme De Terre Lake this weekend.

I am glad to find this site. Hello to everybody and <lol> my next posts won't be so long to read.

Don

2. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Welcome to the BOC from Arkansas.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC from N.E. KY!!!:wink::big_smile:

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Don. I live in Independence also in the Fort Osage district. I fish Jacomo mostly for a local lake. Been thinking about trying Blue Springs at night but haven't yet. Don't know the lake very well. Maybe we can get together sometime.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Don!
    I have relation that live in Richmond. There farm is along the crooked river. Dont know about the mouth of it but the locals get some channel cats off there property up there. Good luck out there.....

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Welcom to the BOC Don. I live in Camden. I used to put in at buffalo bridge all the time. Havent fished there for a couple of years though. I alway ran down to the Mo. river to fish it. Used to do decent on eating size channels there. Good luck with the knee and fishing for the rest of the year.

Tom

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site if full of good info and great people

8. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    welcome to the BOC don

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Don Welcome to the Brotherhood, from So. Illinois.:0a22::0a25::0a25:

10. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Don great report, and welcome to the BOC.

11. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Welcome to the BOC from texas, dont worry about the long post we like reading them...

12. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    Welcome to the BOC Don!and good luck

13. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Hey Guys, thanks for all your replies. BlueJay I would love to hook up with you to go fishing and anybody else for that matter. After I left early this morning I got my bluegill from the marina docks and my poles were in the water at 5:30. I did good the first hour. Five channels with three missed hits. After that the carp took the spot over. Nothing was taking the bluegill anymore and carp were hitting my nightcrawlers. Still, it ended up being a fun time. Maybe god is giving me a little extra luck for not fishing much the past three years as I have never had a streak this long at Blue Springs. I will continue to hit it hard the next couple of days before heading back to my old stomping grounds around Richmond and then Pomme this weekend. I have never dedicated myself to flatheads at all and am planning an all night trip or two next week on the Missouri. It's time I felt a 20+ flat on the end of my pole. Is anybody doing anything on the Missouri at all? On my way to Richmond and Crooked River this Thursday I am going to make a stop in Orrick to check out a old spot I haven't fished in years. How does this sound to you guys that know a little about Flatheads.

In years past I have cought many blues and channels from this place, but it may hold flatheads as well. On the inside bend of the river there is a long rocky rip-rap along the bank. Much like a rock wing dike, but it doesn't go out into the river. I hope I don't lose you guys with my lame river lingo as I explain this. Anyway, there is a big opening in the middle of it and the water flows into like a small maybe 10 acre lake. In the past I targeted the water flowing in on the lake side for channels and along the fast current rip-rap side I always cought some big blues. In the lake part of it there are a few log jams and lots of shallow snags at the bottom of the levee. It's deep in the middle where the water comes in, but for the most part I would say the water is five to ten foot deep. Surely there would be some flats, but does that sound like great flat water? I don't know much of anything about flats at all let alone the river. All I know is a nice deep hole with big log jams and thats the only place I know of that I can walk to right now. On the other side of the levee is a swimming hole that a few locals go to. I do know you can catch plenty of bullheads there and I have always heard that can be a great bait for flats as well.

Before I go. Any of you local guys need or want a barely used 8ft Berkley E-Cat heavy action #4 pole let me know.

Thanks to everyone welcoming me into the BOC. I will continue to let you all know how I do on my trips and will soon put some pictures up on this site. Oh yea, if anybody wants to check out my spot at Blue Springs it is at the Marina. It's the only Marina on the lake. Take 291 to I believe it's Bolton Rd exit. Turn left when you get on Bolton Rd into the park and that will take you straight to the Marina. I catch my bluegills on the docks and then I walk straight out to the main lake away from the cove. It's not much of a walk, but go until it ends and you will see my three rock piles stacked that I made for my rods. On the way you will see clearings that other people stick to fishing. My spot is so easy to get to, but so many just don't ever think about fishing there so rarely is it ever used no matter how busy it may be. At-least thats how it's been the past two weeks.

Don

14. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    Welcome to the BOC and thanks for the report.

15. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Welcome to the BOC, reps and thanks for the solid report.

16. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Don I would like to see you on the water, trying myself to get use to the river, so would love to pick your brian.

17. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Don, from So. In.

18. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Don! Thanks for the report.

19. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    I tried to send a pm to some of you guys, but it says that I have to have ten posts to do so. I didn't go out last night so I have nothing to report, but damn did I learn a lot more about flats reading everything I could last night. One more time at Blue Srings and then my first time on the river this year will be tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my first 20# flat:big_smile: <lol> don't they know I will return them back to the water.

20. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome Don. I'm in the southwest corner of Missouri. Sounds like ya got some fish cornered in that lake. Good luck with the knee. A man i work with wife just had replacement done a couple months ago. She's fine and said she wish she had done it years ago. Glad ya joined us here at the BOC.