New Maryland Catfish Club Member

Discussion in 'MARYLAND LAKES TALK' started by hodx, Jan 16, 2006.

1. hodx

hodx New Member

State:
    diz
    Names Herman....live in Dundalk,MD...own a 16' tracker...mostly fish Tridelphia,Rocky Gorge,Loch Raven,Prettyboy and Liberty in MD

Use to catch a lot of cats from various lakes...mostly as a by-catch while fishing for other species...like walleyes...caught some nice 15.lb channels at Triadelphia in 2005, never seen a blue cat there.caught some huge channels at piney run lake in eldersburg,MD...still searching for a 30.lb bluecat or flathead...guess I need to hit the Potomac for them.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome aboard Herman, do some reading and browsing lots of good info here.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hodx,

Welcome to the BOC, glad to have you as a member. How is the fishing pressure in your part of Maryland?

Paul

4. WMorio

WMorio New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Hi guys Iam new to the site. Found U guys by mistake, Iam glad I did,great site. Iam a hard core Bass junkie but first love was Cat fishing for Big Flats. Look forward to making new friends and fishing buddys. Semper Fi Bill

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Herman, Bill and all new members

Welcome to the BOC, Herman it's ok about the bass fishing we won't hold it against you LOL. The most important thing is just to fish, We are all crazy about

THE GREAT FISH.

Enjoy

Danny

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Herman, Welcome to the B.O.C. Enjoy the reading. Enjoy the B.O.C. family.

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    hodx-

Welcome to the board... glad to see more MD anglers getting on this board. According to stocking records for atleast rocky gorge, there are blue cats in there but from going through Carolina scientific catalog (scientific supply company) recently they have live baby catfish for sale (looks very much channel cat) and they call them blue Channel Catfish so someone may have made a mistake somewhere w/ them or in records keeping.

I know Centenial Lake in Columbia has Blue cats in it... or atleast has been stocked w/ them... if they are still in there (caught my PB blue from there in 98, 6lbs which i want to increase) or not idk...

Occaquan in VA had an article written up about it being a good Flathead area... and if your willing to make the trip Claytor lake in southern VA is also a great place for flats... including trophy sized ones.

8. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Herman and Bill, Welcome to the BOC!!!

Bill, where at in PA are you from?

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Welcome guys if your into fishing of any kind this is the site. You will not find a better group of outdoors people then here on the BOC. If your looking for that 30 plus cat hit the lower Potomac I have landed over 100 20 plus lb cats in 2005 season. If the tournaments our something that may get you then i would love to see you at the Maryland ACATS chapter's First tournament on the Potomac River.
    Or just come and watch the weigh-in it will start at 2:30 and you will not see a better group of Catfish anywhere in the State then you will see at this tournament. I would say that you need to have 5 fish in the 150 to 200 lb class to win this tournament. And it may be the day that a new state record Blue cat is taken.
    Anything i can do to help you out just ask maybe i can meet you and show you around down there and put you on some good spots for them big blues.
    you can email or call me anytime 301-418-3967. But March 4 at Fort Washington Marina will be a great day for anyone who loves to catch big catfish. I hope to see you their and check out the ACATS chapter it may just be something you would like to be apart of.

10. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Tim,

I'd definitely like to hook up with you sometime. I'd love to catch a few blues considering we don't have any here in the 'Burgh.

11. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well sir you can enter on the site for a free trip it ends today. Or if your just looking to come and fish we can work something out. I do have alot of tournaments the year and starting to book some trips now. Call me sometime if you will be down this way and we can do something.

12. hodx

hodx New Member

State:
    diz
    hi Tim and everybody else:

Thanks for the welcome..if you can see the time I've entered these posts...its because I'm on night work...Wish I could be out on the water now...but I can't due to the many hours and days at work in DC.Tim, never been on the potomac...where are some ramps and can I use a reg prop motor, without getting any rock damage to my prop.Photocat, as soon as I get my boat permit from WSSC, will let you know.

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I use the gravely point ramp and columbia island marina rigth off GWParkway. Faster for me to get on the water thereas for water you have lots anywhere around there thats are DC up there and you need a DC lincens
    or head down below the ww bridge and your in maryland waters again. Right around the ww bridge there are Discontinued spoil area's stay out of that around low tide other then that your are. I can meet you down there sometime run you around and show you some trouble spots to watch best thing is to hit the water at outgoing almost low tide and you will see most trouble spot in the water.
    You get down there for cats you will forget about all them other places. days of 100 plus cats happen on the potomac alot. and big blue fever seems to hit most who fish this part of the river.

14. hodx

hodx New Member

State:
    diz
    Hey Tim:

What about Fort washington launching ramp for a starting point...any good catfishing for blues around this area....as long as there is no bass touraments going on......Herman

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Fort Washinton is great lots of places around there Pisscataway holds some nice blues as well.

16. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    hodx- Sounds like a plan man. Looking forward to it... was actually down there today scouting out different areas and checking their map out to see if i could find anything like a new access point or something for shore fishing when im down there too. Still no way to reach the spot i was talking about from shore unless the water's down a good few feet so if we can get there in the boat thats all the better...

17. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I was looking at this site a couple of years ago right much. Glad I came back to check it out. I live in Crownsville near where Rte 32 & Int 97 merge. What's the procedure for getting in the Md Chapter. I drive to Richmond quite a bit to fish the James, down Rte 301 to the Rappahannock, to the Potomac up and down below Wilson Bridge. Hope to get involved with these tournaments if they are catch and release format. Hope to see some of you March 4th. Anyone looking to fish the Potomac for giant Blue Catfish just shoot me a PM and we'll set something up. I've only been fishing the Potomac since late November with my 13yr old son and me both already boating a 40lb each. I will be looking forward to meeting you all soon. Later for now---jonnycat

18. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey Johnny we would enjoy having you in the Maryland ACATS chapter and look forward to you and your son fishing with us. ACATS is a great group of guys and we are CPR touranments DNR may keep some form time to time. If you haven't join up you can visit the ACATS web site and join there or email me and i will get you the membership info out.

19. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I spell the nickname "jonnycat" with the small case letters so folks know who they are talking with. I go on a couple of other sites as well. I look forward to meeting some of you folks as. I am a dedicated night-time fisherman because of conflicting schedules with the wife. She works in Alexandria on Telegraph Rd next to the Beltway. I'm a stay-home father of 3 teens----16 & 15yr girls, and the13yr boy. He's a fine fisherman and a great partner. My biggest problem here in Md is finding ramps that are open overnight. Any 411 would be highly appreciated. My choice of launch ramps on the Potomac so far is Marshall Hall for distance as well as its free. These hours are from daylight to dark. I'm not familiar and don't want to to be with getting towed at the river. I don't mind paying but why should I, right? I will be heading to Richmond sat early am for some James River giants. I am from Louisa County Va where Lake Anna is located. I built piers there for 15yrs prior to moving to Md. Next week I will be taking a friend to the Potomac for his first target trip for big catfish. I try to fish at least 2 days/nights when its not too cold(below 25degrees) to stand it. See you on the water soon. Later for now---jonnycat

20. Potomusky

Potomusky New Member

State:
    Maryland
    My name is Mike and I must say this blue cat thing has caught my eye. As you can see by my board name I'm a little more than serious about another recent Potomac arrival. The musky. I actually grew up fishing the tidal Potomac and caught plenty of channels ,bullheads and white cats but never a blue. Now they seem to be taking over. This year I plan on putting in the time to learn about the big game cats blues and flatheads. I hope you guys don't mind me asking too many questions.