New Maryland Blue catfish record

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by TIM HAGAN, Sep 30, 2006.

1. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I just got off the phone with ACATS member Josh Fitchett who has in his livewell a 65 lb blue cat. He is on the way to have it checkout as a new maryland state record blue cat. The old record was 53 lbs. I will have more info asap The fish was taken at fort washington

2. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    hope he takes the new record i didnt know there were blues in marland.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Yes we have one of the top rivers for blue cats the potomac has been putting 20 to 30 lb cats on just about every trip this year and lots of them some days you can take 4 or 5 fish over 20 lbs easy and starting to see some big flats as well

4. Bunker Dunkers

Bunker Dunkers New Member

State:
    College Park
    It was a "monster", saw him showing it out of the live well in front of Bass Pro today where I think it was going to be put in the tank, (but I could be wrong on that.) Said he caught it practicing for your upcoming tournament, Tim. Congratulations to him on an incredible fish.

Bob

5. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Saw this thread yesterday evening and waited till this morning to reply. I figured there would be more replies,but I guess everyone is busy with other things. Congratulations to Josh Fitchett on the big fish and hopefully it was released. That probably won't be the case, but it would be nice to keep that gene pool active in the Potomac for the chances of producing more of that quality of fish. We've had several fish from that stretch of river that topped 40lbs to this day. We broke one off on Labor Day morning that was definitely a hog. Congatulations again to Josh. I have been targeting 3 days a week starting with Wed, Thurs, and then Tues, in this order according to the weather. Hope to see some of you on the river soon. Later for now---jonnycat

6. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    I hope it beats the old record.

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ok all the new Maryland state record belong to ACATS members Joshua Fitchett of Montpelier Va. This fish was from around the Fort Washington Waters not in his honey hole. Joshua like myself have find some new things in the waters that are holding lots of bigger fish then ever before. The fish was 65 lbs 8 oz and is at this time in the tank at Bass Pro Shop in Hanover Md. They are also a sponsor of the Maryland ACATS tournament Traill. Josh was out running the river looking for new spots for our Oct tournament well maybe he find a good one then. I will post some pic's later tonight Great job Josh if it wasn't me its still a member.

8. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I was raised just 15 minutes from Montpelier, Va but moved here to MD in 1997. I was hoping a transplant like me could get the new record but that is not the case as of now. Those of us who are in the know, are aware that this is a stepping stone for the future of the Potomac. There will be a lot more pressure so maybe I still have a chance after all. Josh is a fishing machine, as many of you are certainly aware, and he will continue to be so. The word is now out, and we are all gonna have to work harder than before, if we are to contend this new record. Congratulations again to Josh Fitchett, it is well deserved. I'll be out there Tuesday and Thursday of this week. Friday may hold a trip to the James below Richmond. I have a friend from Landsdown(sp), Baltimore, who has off till Oct 10. He is a commercial guy, and a recreational man as well, who really wants to feel the tug on the other end of a line. I look forward to seeing more of you on the river soon. It is only gonna get better from now till March. I've once again said too much. Later for now---jonnycat

9. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Congrats on the fish thats a bigun no matter where you are.
    Loop

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Here is some info on the big blue that josh got.
    Time was 10.30 the start of incoming tide. The bait was cut shad and he was taken from around 37 ft of water somewhere around fort washington. I only got the one pic from Josh tonite. But I will be going to Bass Pro Shop Tomorrow and get some of the fish in the tank.

Attached Files:

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Thats one nice fish :)... *sigh* Josh- Congrats on the catch... beat me to breaking that record... I'm gonna come check out that fish though at BPS this week...

12. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Congrats to Josh. I dont know Josh very well but he is a good guy for sure and he is very deserving of that record. Congradulation again Josh.

13. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    That is one big blue. Congrats on the catch and record.

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Awesome pics, congrats on breaking the record. Thanks for sharing Tim.

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    here is a better look at the new record bluecat. The fish is alive and well at bass pro shop but wont be put into the big tank for 30 days.

Attached Files:

16. philg427

philg427 New Member

State:
    Poolesville, Maryland
    congrats Josh, glad the record was broke this still some monsters in that area. The fish are on the move have moved up of the deeper water, glad you got him did you catch any others beside the monster. If the weather is good I plan on fishing the tournamentonly have a 16 foot bass tracker if the wind is up i will not be able to get out on the main river if the waves pick up. Once again Gratz Josh hope you post here!

17. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    The man at the reels and line desk/island told me the fish would be in a 60 day quarantine in the rear of the store. I asked to see it but was denied. The 50lb'er in the showroom tank has put quite a dent in the other fish population(perch/bluegill) in the tank. I'll be on the Potomac tomorrow, the Rappahannock Wed, and the James Fri, so I hope to give a good report after each trip. I once again congratulate Josh Fitchett. Until I see y'all on the river, later for now---jonnycat

18. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    well done josh on a nice blue cat and state record

19. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ya Jonny I talked with Allen At BPS today and I will get some pic later this week of the fish. Allen will show me the fish as he is one of my sponsors and understands what this will do for ACATS and catfishing in Maryland I will post them after I get back from there

20. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Glad to hear you are inside(so to speak) with them at BPS. I'll be back in there in a few days I'm sure. That big one they have in the showroom tank is impressive for sure, but I look forward to the new record fish to be veiwed. Hope to see you on the water soon---jonnycat