New? Lost? Gar questions

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by ggoytia, Aug 10, 2007.

1. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    JUst saw my first Gar in Cabela's.....WEIRD....
    I'm just getting in the swing of things and pretty new fishing fresh water.
    Welll here I am need some basic info on what I need to catch a gar..
    I am completly new to this so bare with me on my dumb questions.

Are a Edible..

15 pound test ok??

What do you catch them on..
    (ROPE LURES DO THEY JUST TANGLE UP)

Are there nose or any part of thier body poisonous..

I will be fishing from a sit on top kayak and think the sled ride would be great now landing the beast is a different story..

Are they agressive such as a Salt water Wahoo/King Mackrel???

Will beating on them on thier head with a billy stick mellow them out??? Due to the Aligator Like Skin.

If I am taking it home to eat?

Once again sorry for the dumb questions I honestly dont know.

If you ever need info on fishing of a yak in the Salt I can advise

ARRRGH!

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Don't really go after gar myself, but I'll try to answer your questions best I can. They're four types of gar that I know of. The smaller ones (yes fifteen lb test is fine): long nose, short nose, and spotted. Then the larger one: Alligator gar. You'll need pretty hefty line if you get ahold of a big one. Yes, they're edible and they'll eat about ANYTHING. Livebait, cutbait, stinkbait...if channels and bullhead eat it, gar eat it. Nothing on them is poisonous, but don't let their teeth get you. 'Cause it'll still hurt..lol As far as aggression goes, I've heard they are. Never had a problem with it myself. Anyway, I hope this has answered your questions. Anymore, just let us know.

-Red

3. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Redd: I appriciate the help will be camping this weekend and there was a report about Gar. This info will be very helpful especially the teeth......
    Will advise if I get a hold of any this weekend and will try to ppost a few pics!
    Once again thanks!

ARRRRGH!

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    As far as eating them, I do know that they are very difficult to clean b/c of their ganoid scales. You have to skin them b/c the scales will not come off. Their teeth will get ya if you're not careful, Douge Stange almost got his face bitten off by a big gator gar on In-Fishermen before. They aren't aggressive like a king or wahoo, but they will hit almost anything. I would go after them with a tandem treble rig, like you would for live baiting kings. Often the stinger hook will get them.

5. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    FATFLATTIE & REDD: No luck last evening only one catfish very small Dink. Thank for the info. As soon as I catch my 1st Gar Ill let you guys know. Once again thanks for the info

6. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I KNOW IN PA THE GARS LIKE TO FEED RIGHT AT THE SURFACE AT NIGHT. I HAVE CAUGHT MINE OFF OF JOINTED RAPALAS BECAUSE THEY SWIM SO CLOSE TO THE SURFACE

7. oakland river rat

oakland river rat New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kansas
    There are plenty of Gar here in Kansas................:eek:oooh:

8. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Plenty of gar here in Iowa too, I hooked on to one a few weeks ago down by Lake Rathbun. From my experience they will eat just about anything especially if it is dead and they love frogs. I would suggest using a smaller hook then what you normally use for catfish. Their long nose and small mouth make them good at just robbing your bait. They are also sneaky. they swim in the shallow waters, usually slow current, and they like warm water (here in Iowa) From my experience, they will grab a hold of your bait and try to slowly swim down the river with it. Best time to set the hook is when you have a steady pull on your line. They don't normally hit like a catfish or a bass. They go slower. So if you are sure you are in gar water and watch your line, they will grab it and let go, but they will come back, they are hard to catch so when you have that steady pull and it feels like they are going to run, you might want to hook the hook. They get baits off very quickly with little trouble. As for eating them, I can't help you with that. I have heard different things from different people, so I guess it is all in what you think. Good luck. They are a challenge to catch, and fun to reel in, they put up a great fight. Oh I would use a steel leader, their teeth are very sharp and can cut your line. Notorise for that right at the bank. You think you have him landed and he snaps your line. Good luck let us all know how it goes.

9. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    They would have to be pretty good size to eat JMO the eggs are poisonous but the rest is edible

10. Techno2000

Techno2000 Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    For Alligator gar I use a small #8 treble hook on a carolina rig with a small piece of shrimp. I let the fish run with the bait, then it will stop, and swallow the treble hook.

11. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Techno, do you catch them by the water pumps behind the peirs going into lake pontchatrain? I know I've seen some big 6 footers in there....also Lafeniere (sp?) Park used to have a TON of gator gar..not sure after the flood.

12. Techno2000

Techno2000 Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    Hi Stu,
    I catch them in Pointe Aux Chenes Wildlife Management Area, off of (Island rd.).
    I have hooked a big one (for me LoL) one night where fitzgerald seafood restaurant use to be(katrina aftermath) in West End. I was trying pull it up over
    the concrete wall there but it broke my #30 power pro, where are these pumps
    you speak of ?

13. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    what makes the eggs poisonous? local fish markets around here buy them !!!

14. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Found a good fishing hole on my local river the other day while out for a bike ride. Went over a bridge and looked down and there was a section where the current was slowed down because of some debris upstream of that point, and it was a gathering point for alot of fish. The shade from the bridge helped too. Anyway, saw some nice gar and bass in there. Never caught a gar, so I'm gonna make my way out there soon and see if I can hook into one. Just to say I've done it.

Forgot to mention, I dropped a piece of gum in there to mark a gar for my girlfriend to see, and the gar ate the gum!

15. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    WOW... Thank you all for the great info will try again this weekend and advise. My wife has some baby shower thing this Sunday. Time for me to make my break to the lake! I will advise how I do by Monday at the latest!