New line

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Cut bait, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Im thinking of switching to a new line this year probably stay with MONO.
    What are you guys using?
    Is the old stand by BIG GAME still the way to go?

Thinks for everybody answering my other post im just trying to get things straight for this season.

2. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Big game is hard to beat in my opinion, especially now there offering a rebate for every 10 $ spent on Berkley, you can get a lot bigger spool for less bucks. Don't remeber all the details but I got mine thru Catfish Connection

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I switched from Big Game to Ande recently and think it's going to work better than the Big Game. I had a lot of trouble with the Big Game breaking when I would tie a knot and pull it tight (even when I lubricated the line before tightening it) - the line would break at the knots with just a few pounds of pulling pressure. The Ande doesn't seem to have that problem.

I bought a 3 lb spool of Ande "Envy Green" 30 lb from Bass Pro for around $70 and it should last for at least the next year (I've got 8 reels spooled with it currently and change line every month or two).

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Some other lines in mono. to look at. Cajun Red, Suffix,they are good lines.But when my personal Best might be on the other end of the line I will chose Berkley Big Game.:0a26: :confident:

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use premium salt water ande from small diamater up to 50 lb. test. Its strong, abrasion resistant, has low memory and ties strong knots. Weather I'm tournament fishing or recreational fishing it's a line I can count on to get the job done. I run 30 lb. envy green on the reels and 50 lb. clear for leaders.

6. Gunner-Fisherman

Gunner-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just try one spool of Sufix, 20 pound Siege... you will be glad you did!

7. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I'd use ande, or cajun

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I'm trying VIcious line this year from the makers of Mossy Oak line. So far I like it.

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    When I do use strictly just mono, its Ande all the way. I usually rig with Power Pro Braid, and even then I use an Ande mono Shock Leader.

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been using cajun red. No breakage problems. If my hook gets hung up, I will straighten out a 5/0 kahle before the 30# line will break. Seems to have good abrasion resistance too. No problems at all so far with it, and it's cheap.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Haven't spooled it yet, but am going to try Sufix Siege. Like the feel. I'm using Silver Thread co-polymer Saltwater on one reel, like it so far. I've also got Big Game on other reels. Its ok, but want to try others.

12. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I've been using berkley catfish in green on 2 rods and cajun red on 2 rods for cats and both work well. I use 20# berkley and 14 cajun

13. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I have 14# and 20# Cajun Red on 2 of my poles, but on my larger poles I use braided line usually 30-50lbs.

14. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I got some ANDE this week end and it seems that it is a good but different line. What knots do you use to tie onto the barrel swivel with 40lbs line??

15. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    You should be able to use whatever your favorite knot is. I use the improved cinch knot on 50 lb. without any problems just remember to wet it then cinch it down tight.

16. Cut bait

Cut bait New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    What I ment was with that heavy of a line it seemed hard to tie a knot?? just woundering if their was any tricks to tieing knots with heavier line.

17. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    If you are not used to heavy line it just takes practice and getting used to. I know some guys that use 80lb. and say it gets a little stiff but with a little practice you can tie your regular knots. Just remember to wet them with water or spit before you cinch them down.

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    For the money, It's hard to beat Big Game. I have always used 50lb big game, but it does tend to have a lot of memory, (I hate backlashes) so I switched to P-line, but I still use a big game leader. The P-line leaders were breaking when I had good fish on. I don't know if it was the knot or what, even though I don't usually have trouble with my polymer knot. It is very hard to break a p-line/big game leader combo. You almost have to cut the line or use the boat to unsnag you when you get hung up.

19. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Aaron, I always use the PALOMAR knot. It's the easiest I've found to use with stiff line and stiff fingers.:big_smile: