new line on the reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by catman-j, Feb 25, 2009.

1. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Tonight I went to one of my favorite (locally and independently owned) sporting goods stores to get all of my reels loaded up with new line. I requested 20 LB line for the open faced spools and they came and told me that 20 is so thick that they wouldn't be able to fit much on my spools so I wound up getting 15 LB instead. I just wonder if I'll regret that decision come April. And another thing that left me scratching my head is that they had bulk spools of 15 but I wanted a new spool of the same to put in my tacle box for leaders but I had to buy 14. Why can't Berkley put the same size line on those small spools that they put on the bulk spools????:confused2:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It really depends what you are fishing for, you can still catfish with that line, you will just have to be more patient if you get a big one on. It should make things a little more exciting

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like your tackle shop is selling inventory. I am sure Berkley sells their mono in small and bulk spools, but your tackle shop did not happen to have what you wanted in stock. I think I would have purchased a bulk spool of #20 and spooled my own. Good luck.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Sounds like they sold you......:smile2:

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    It depends on if your reel is made for 20# test or not if its a small open face reel it may not hold 20# test but ive seen some huge open face reels that would hold it fine so it really depends on what you got.

6. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    They told me they thought they could only fit about 80 yards of 20 on them.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yeah thats not very much,what kind of reel is that you have?They make bigger ones made for catfishing,is yours more of a bass fishing reel?If so you will have to downsize on line a little,unless you can get some braided line then you could put heavier test line on it,but to be honest i dont know how well braid would work on a open face reel.It may be ok but i really dont know maybe someone on here could give some advice on that part.

8. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I think they tricked you.

I would say buy your own and do it yourself.

My brother uses Spinning reels and has #20 Spiderwire braid on all of them.

9. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I think you need to look a little further for your needs. Big spool or small they have the same line on both. I would order the line you want some place else. I like braid small dia but heavy test more line on the reel. You should get what you ask for not what they want you to have. Just my 2 cents.