New Length Limits?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Fishgeek, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had the opportunity to talk with several of our state fisheries biologists this weekend at a retirement party. I took advantage of the time & was able to ask a few questions and plug catfish management for us. Our southern biologists, particularly the south region fisheries supervisor, has been doing our catfish right & has been working pretty hard to make some changes.

First, there are new size & bag limit regulations currently proposed & on the table. They feel pretty certain that this regulation, or a close variation of it will be passed...eventually. The proposal (rivers & streams) is a 15" minimum and one fish greater than 32". So, you could keep all the cats you want between 15" and 31.9" and then keep only one catfish over 32". May not be ideal but its a start and its nice to see they realize the value of those bigger cats. This is only a proposal & is still a ways off from being accepted...but I just wanted to let you know that the DNR is working on catfish issues.

Second, in the "Bluegill are gamefish" thread there has been much discussion about what can be captured & kept in a cast net. The guys kinda' shook their heads & acknowledged that that's a confusing mess. The confusion stems from the Indiana Code which spells out which species are technically considered gamefish. Basically, the species listed are the species that had management regulations on them way back when that part of the Indiana Code was written & passed. The fish guys have been trying to get the IC changed but since its a change in the law it takes the state legislature to pass it. And, if its not important, its not even going to get looked at...apparently fish aren't a priority (imagine that!). The biologists at least recognize the inconsistancies & are trying to address them the best they can.

Third, there is still a proposal for changing the shad as live bait regulations. Again, the southern biologists have been working hard to get these regs. loosened a little. FYI, I was told that our best allies in this fight will be the striper fishing guys. So, if these shad regs ever come up for discussion at public meetings, it would be a good idea to coordinate efforts with the striper folks.

2. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    so when u say shad as live bait? do you mean we cant use them live or we can ...

3. kuigy

kuigy New Member

State:
    Newburgh, IN
    Taken from http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3616.htm

Is it illegal to use cast nets to catch game fish?
    Cast nets are not an approved gear for catching game fish in any Indiana waters (312 IAC 9-7-2 and 9-7-16). Cast nets are only legal for taking bait fish, or minnows, in most waters. However, cast nets cannot be used within two hundred (200) yards below any dam on the Ohio River (312 IAC 9-7-16d). Cast nets in most waters cannot be larger than 10 feet in diameter and the mesh stretch is no larger than 3/4 inch. Cast nets used to take minnows from the Ohio River must not exceed nine (9) feet in diameter nor have mesh size larger than three-eighths (3/8) inch bar mesh (312 IAC 9-7-16e4). Minnows taken for bait must not be of any species considered endangered or threatened. Bag limits and size limits for sportfish must be followed regardless of the means of catching fish. Any fish that does not meet these restrictions must be released immediately.

Can game fish be used for bait?
    It is illegal to possess, for any reason, a game fish that does not meet the bag limits or size limits indicated for that species. Any legally-caught fish may be used as bait. However, it is illegal to use live carp or gizzard shad for bait, except at Brookville Reservoir, where live shad are allowed. Live goldfish are legal baitfish. Do not dump bait buckets or move any live fish from one lake or river to another waterway. Introduction of live fish into a waterbody is stocking and requires a permit from the DNR.

Why is it illegal to use live gizzard shad for bait in most waters?
    Live carp and gizzard shad cannot be used as bait, except at Brookville Lake where live shad may be used. The laws do not prevent the use of dead shad as bait in any Indiana water. Gizzard shad are not native to Indiana and have become a nuisance fish in many of our lakes and rivers. When young, these fish provide some forage for predators. However, when they get older and larger, they compete for food with game fish and other species. Live bait that gets loose from the line or bait bucket can invade areas where this problem fish does not currently exist or is not yet too numerous. Gizzard shad are allowed only at Brookville Reservoir to provide a unique angling opportunity to bait the striped bass that are stocked in that lake.

The only mention is that live gizzard shad are prohibited in all Indiana water except Brookville. Threadfin shad I suppose would be OK? And I can't imagine that using a fish that you caught from the water you're fishing could be illegal, but it is Indiana.

Doesn't much matter to me, I cut 'em up and let that sweet smell out. Glad to hear that maybe the catfish will get some sort of protection.

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dave, as kuigy pointed out, the regs currently state that Brookville Reservoir is the only place where you are currently allowed to use live shad as bait. The proposal put forward by the DNR biologists is to allow live shad to be used at more locations. I think in our major rivers and the reservoirs (e.g., Upper Wabash {Rousch, Salamonie, Mississinewa}, Monroe, Patoka, etc.) where gizzard shad are already extremely abundant. I honestly don't know the particulars, but I do know they are definitely looking to expand live shad use in the state. Again, its also being pushed pretty hard by the striper crowd.

5. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Iknow there is an abundance at the monroe tailwaters

6. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hell, I use'm anyways!! But boy oh boy and Im I gonna have a sit down with a local CO

7. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah sit down after he makes you pick up more trash:smile2::smile2:

8. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good Post Matt! Sounds like we need to vote some biologists into our public offices to get some thigns done...lol. The size and bag limits on catfish would be a good step towards managing our catfish populations.

Sounds like though they never did give you a straight forward answer on the bluegill thing though. But for now the law stands as its read, and since bluegill are not listed as a gamefish they can be taken by cast net? That would be my take on it.

9. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    OH YEAH but not in this district you have DAVE REESE telling us no ans make you pick up trash

10. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ben, check out the cast net thread I just started. No, I still don't have a straight forward answer about bluegill!!! But, if they're gonna go by the IC, it sure seems pretty clear that BLG are not gamefish...

11. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Great info, thanks for sharing guys.

12. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Good info guys. I still cant see why it would be illegal to use shad live in a place that it was caught? It does not make sense!!!! Besides are there many lakes, rivers or reserviors that doesnt have an abundance of shad in them? Also, dont forget that the ohio river has different rules and regulations.

13. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    But you still have to abide by the laws in which your Fishing Licence is for..

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    No, it's Laziness plain and simple.
    In Indiana, fishing generates more than $800 million each year in retail sales and more than 1.3 billion in ripple effect, as those dollars work their way through the state’s economy.
    Hoosier fishing generates more than $93 million in federal tax revenues, more than $77 million in state and local taxes, and supports more than 14,000 jobs.

And according to statistics
    Catfish are the third most-pursued group of sport fish in Indiana, ranking behind only the old favorites—black bass and panfish—in angler preference.
    And I'm sure that don't count the income from fines people get misinterpeting Indianas poorly written fishing regulations.... Maybe thats why they don't change it... lol

15. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana

Yeah, and the crazy thing is, with all that money that fishing & hunting brings into the state, all the biologists' pay and budgets for fish & wildlife management come from fishing & hunting license sales...which the federal government kicks back about $7.00 per license purchased in Indiana from the federal excise tax on hunting, fishing, & marine sales. That money basically funds all the fish & wildlife management in Indiana. So, contrary to popular belief, the Indiana tax payer does not fund game & fish management. So, the state pretty much gets a free ride...basically very little money put in compared to the return that us anglers & hunters provide! ...I think I'm a little off subject, sorry for the rant. Anywho...

Catfish as a group (i.e, channels, blues, & flatheads) ranked 4th in the last statewide angler survey behind, as you stated DrPepper, bluegill, largemouth and crappie. Channels were ranked 6th overall behind those three species and smallmouth bass & walleye. Blues came in 12th and flathead were 14th (If I remember correctly...report is at the office). http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/FNR-IDNR-102-W.pdf

I always like to point out that all three catfish species ranked ahead of muskie...which the DNR spends a butt-load of $$ managing for...and hardly anyone fishes for in the grand scheme of things.

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well you know how that is... If I was the guy getting to call the shots with all that money, I'd use it to grow the type of fishery that I wanted.
    hmmm... hybred wels cat fish would be cool. A stocking program of blue cats in every reservoir would be awesome too.... If I was the one tossing out the cash and hiring the biologist (that agreed with me) I'd win too. lol

17. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    WOW, Could u imagine?? Blues in every Lake!!! hell yeah!!!!!!!

18. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah, good luck with that!

19. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    It would be sweeeeet:smile2::smile2:

20. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    iMAGINE THAT wow i COULD FINALLY CATH A pb blue my vote is for pepper:smile2: