New law for boaters

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by river scum, Jun 13, 2007.

1. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    anyone hear about the new life jacket law being brought up. the wife seen it on the news. they are going to pass a law that requires everybody to wear a life jacket all the time in a boat. now who in the shell is thinking this spit up?????? just how ridiculous can things really get ?????????? do you want to RELAX in a boat all day with a pfd on???????

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I dont want to sit in august with a life jacket on. I can maybe see it when you are under power but not while anchored. Is this a national thing or local?

3. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I wouldn't think that would pass....there are too many recreational boaters in the state for that to happen, and there haven't been any headliners about anyone dying recently from lack of a PFD, I wouldn't get too worked up yet, it has to make it past the House first.

4. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
  5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Tim,
    I agree with you in principle but unless they make wearing them mandatory there is absolutely no point in having the law as it is now that says you have to have them in the boat.
    I bet some of this has come from the happenings at Eagle Creek Reservoir. Every year there are drownings; oft times it's people who take out the rental boats. Usually they can't swim, have no boating experience and there is alcohol involved.
    Even if they made it mandatory that those renting boats had to wear PFD's there would have to be exceptions. Imagine having to wear one while driving the house boat you rented?
    The bottom line is laws or not you can't protect stupid people from themselves and maybe they shouldn't try...W

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It probably stems from lobbying by the insurance industry. Too many claims filed by the families of people who has drowned. When the insurance boys start talking, somehow our legislators forget they are there to represent US instead of the various lobby groups. I wonder if I have ever seen, by my definition, an honest elected official.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I dont usually wear one, but i think it is pretty much the same as having to wear a seat belt when your in the car..

8. brakeless1

brakeless1 New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ky.
    Those self inflating life jacket's are pretty comfortable allthough they are a bit expensive.

9. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    i bet ol mitch is behind all this. that boy is retarded let me tell ya. if yall voted for him, ive got a few words for ya! id take the ticket though. id rather be comfortable than rich!!!

10. speeedman

speeedman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I drive a truck and just started wearing a seat belt. Done been ticketed once for no belt in a car. I cant stand wearing them, someday i am going to crash because they are so restrictive. I race stock cars and wouldnt think about racing with out a belt, but for street cars I say let the people wear one if they want, same with life jackets, I make dam sure my 5 yr old duaghter wears one but I am old enough to decide weather I want to or not. Insurance companies all make money anytime a law is passed. I dont see my rates going down for wearing a seat belt. If they save that much on hospital bills we all should have a reduction on car insurance. Problem with boats is there are so many idiots that have no idea what they are doing in a boat. I was fishing and this idiot is doing circles around me wide open on a 10 mph lake. I told the guy to slow down and he started screaming at me, what are you going to do beat my a@@? I said no I am just going to call the cops. The idiot said go ahead her is my phone if you want to use it. After the 8 cops showed up and told him to get out of his boat he was so drunk he couldnt get out of his boat. The 2 in the boat went to jail and the boat was towed. This was a day before memorial day weekend. I bet they had a great holiday lol. Stupid people is why you have so many laws. We all have to suffer to make sure the idiots done hurt themselves. If this passed I see a lot of tickets being written. The Dnr does not have enough time to enforce the laws now!

11. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well said Speedman

12. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'll give it a month & we'll have to wear a helmet to check the mail........just what we need, more rules telling adults how they need to protect themselves.

I too am against "forced" seatbelt usage.....and that crap of "saving taxpayers money" is bull-scat as well. I've lived over 4 years now after getting a royal screwing by Snake Farm, and I haven't seen a penny of any taxpayers money, not even my own.

Smitty

13. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol.......you won''t get any arguments here :big_smile: He must have found some Japs that sell lifejackets...........

Smitty

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

lol i guess my post did look a bit "worked up". i probably was a bit,but i get so sick of hearing about new law this and new law that. it sometimes seams the hole world is out to screw with the way i live my life. i just wish people could mind their own buisness!

the post was to inform you all about yet another infringment of our rights, im sorry i let if my emotions show.

as far as mitch is concerned, he can kiss my bass! :tounge_out:

15. diver268

diver268 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish Tournaments and we have to wear our vests anytime the big motor is running. I dont have a problem with that. But to have to wear it "ALL" the time really sucks. Just like the new law of wearing seat belts in trucks. 2 things that really irk that is the fact I have been in 3 wrecks in my life ( none my fault) and in 2 of them if I had been wearing my belt I would have been killed. The driver side door was crushed in so far it would have killed me. The second thing is that they say they have all this data showing truck fatalities. It wouldnt be that high though if they would give truck plates to just trucks. I have seen truck plates on jeeps, blazers, durangos and ever on soccer moms van. None of those are trucks but they sure have truck plates on them. Sorry for the venting but some things just p*** me off.

16. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I hope it doesnt pass, but I do believe you should wear one when moving.

17. KB8EXF

KB8EXF New Member

State:
    wv
    I agree with bigcat when you under power you should wear it like it or not its a good idea.

18. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    RiverScum, sorry for not getting back to you on this. I forgot to respond to you! Anyway, I checked with the COs & they said they do not know of any rule trying to get passed that would require us to wear PFDs all the time. However, current rules state that anyone on or being towed by a PWC (jet ski, etc.) must always have a PFD on as must anyone water skiing, wake boarding, etc.

19. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    fishgeek I just want to inform you that when I'm pulling RiverScum behind the boat (trolling fer Gator's) I dont put a vest on him. This way he sinks alot better. His body gets down deeper where the big ones lurk.....:tounge_out:

20. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    i will agree one rotten egg ruins it for everyone. i think you should wear one while running your boat but should have the freedom to remove it once anchor and it would be your choice to wear it or not. and again there are so many dumbarses out there on the water now that you have to be on the look out all the time and looking over your shoulder. i had an instance this spring where i happened to look over my shoulder in the boat and here comes a guy with his inboard ski boat down the river and is looking down while driving and headed right for me i sounded out my air horn and he then decided to look up after the third blow of my horn jeez, a lil common sense goes a long way on the water you have to respect the water and now u have to look out for idiots whats next ppl shooting at you while fishing ???????????????????:tounge_out: