NEW LAKE

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by DAREWOOD11, Feb 18, 2008.

1. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    AROUND WHERE I LIVE THERE IS AN 88 ACRE PRIVATE LAKE BEING BUILT AND I AM GONA STOCK IT WITH ALL KINDS OF CATFISH...I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN ANY TIPS FOR THE LAKE...SUCH AS THINGS TO ADD FOR HABITAT AND WHAT FISH TO ADD FOR BAIT...IM GOING TO PUT 2000 BLUEGIL IN THERE ATLEAST...THANKS FOR INFO

2. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    if you have a small pond i wouldn't recommend putting flathead in it at all! They will eat your entire stock of baitfish and make it very hard to get them growing.... I would stick with channel cat for the pond, maybe some albinos for fun. But if its a big enough lake I'd put flatties in it..

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    If it is a private lake wouldn't it be illegal for you to stock it?

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I don't know the laws there, but in Ohio you are allowed to stock private ponds. Of course, it is illegal to catch public fish and stock them in a private pond. Andy never said where he was going to obtain his fish.

5. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    ITS NOT A POND ITS AN 88 ACRE LAKE...IM GOIN TO PURCHASE THE FISH...AND SOME IM GOIN TO GET FROM PONDS...ITS PRIVATE BUT I HAVE PERMISSION TO STOCK IT...IM REALLY GOOD FRIENDS WITH THE GUY...THANKS

6. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree you may want to check your state laws.

7. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    TAKING FISH FROM PRIVATE PONDS IS LEGAL...THE REST OF THE FISH WILL BE FROM A FISH FARM...WHISH IS ALSO LEGAL...IM JUST CURIOUS ABOUT THINGS TO ADD TO THE LAKE SO THE CHANNEL CATS AND FLATHEADS CAN REPRODUCE...I KNOW THE BLUES WONT BUT IM GONA STOCK 100 FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS...THANK YOU

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Some states used to stock new ponds for the land owner then study the fish.

9. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    they want to stock it with a lot of different species if the dnr does it and they want to regulate it...so im going to stock it myself...im goin to catch the sunfish and channels from nearby ponds...the rest im goin to purchase...i need to know what kind of things to put in there for habitat for the catfish to spawn...i know blues wont spawn but flatheads and channels will...its mostly going to be all catfish...its 88 acres and at the dam it will be approximately 50 feet deep...thank you for any help

10. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i don't really know what the area around your lake is like but i would definatley add a good bit a wood, possibly cut down several trees around the lake, this will give your smaller fish a place to hide up in but also a place for flatheads to spawn, i would also look at putting in a gravel bottom section, or adding some kind of rock, i don't know what you are willing to put into it but i would definatley add some large wood structures first, hopefully i gave you some ideas to at least think about.
    Larry

11. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    another thing is you say its going to be mostly catfish, just a heads up, i had a 6 in. channel in an aquarium and he ate over a dozen minnows a week, thats one 6 in. channel, you going to have to stock the lake with ALOT of bait..

12. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    ok, just food for thought here. you are asking questions, but not really listening to the answers, and being kind of harsh toward some of the responses. we are merely trying to figure what would be best for you and the fish. now if you plan on putting channels and flathead in there, you may also want to put some other stuff in there as well, to give it nice ballance. i would suggest bluegill, crappie, largemouth, carp, and bullheads. this will give you cats a little competition as well as plenty of farage so that they dont get used to looking at the same things all of the time. this will also ensure there are plenty of forage for them to feed on and will keep them from getting overpopulated and stunting thier growth. as far as habitat goes, i would definatley put in plenty of wood (like logs and brushpiles) as well as some rock piles. also, go to a junkyard and get a few junk cars. you can proabaly get them for less than 2 hundred buck and usually all of the fluids and chemicals are already drained out of them. what better place for a fish to hide in than an old car body. if you can find an old building or know someone in demolition, you can also use cinder blocks and pile them up. will work well. i would also throw in a couple of old metal barrels and even some appliances. hey they are all cheap and wont degrade as fast as the logs will and they will provide plenty of hiding places for the cats as well as the forage. if they are clear cutting the area, tell them to leave the stumps in the ground. these places are awesome areas for cats as well as forage fish. think about it and let me know what you think. if you have any more questions, please ask, and remember we want to help, but we are also looking out for your best interest as well as for the best interest of the fisheries.

13. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    I GUESS I DIDNT REALISE I WAS BEIN HARSH OR DISRESPECTFUL...THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO...I HAVE ALRADY PUT 250 BULLHEADS IN IT...IM TRAPPING SOMEWHERE AROUND 3 AND 4000 BLUEGIL TO PUT IN THERE AND IT WILL ALSO HAVE CRAPPIE...THE ACTUAL OWNER OF THE LAKE IS GOING TO PURCHASE A LOT OF FATHEAD MINNOWS...THEY DID CLEAR OUT SOME TREES AND LEFT ABOUT 4 FOOT OF STUMP STICKING UP...IT WILL HAVE SOME CONCRETE RIP RAP ON THE POINTS I ALSO THINK I AM GOIN TO BUILD SOME SHELTERS OUT OF TIRES TO ADD FOR COVER...THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THERE HELP!

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Andy, I think I know what you were saying about the DNR, (If they stock it they want it open to the public) But someone there should want to help you in the planning of the lake even if you do it yourself. Just reach out, those guys know what they are doing. You will need to stock all manner of fish in an 88 acre lake to make it productive. Structure wise, you have a great opportunity to customize this lake as you and the owner see fit. I'd look around at pond building on the net, there are lots of guys that specialize in making bass ponds, I'm sure you can use that info to make a 1st class catfish lake. Plastic drain tubes and plastic barrels of different widths for big and small cats set into the banks for spawning. (the DNR guys could advise which areas of the lake would be best). Lots of wood piles from all the cleared land used in making the lake. riprap on the dam for crayfish habitat and hiding places for small fish. Other rocky areas around the lake for the same reason. Shad or whatever type of minnow that will reproduce in the lake. ( DNR again) Keep track of the piles and nesting boxes on a map. In your head or secreted away in a safety deposit box lol. For future fererence. This is a start, you have a lot of reading to do my friend.

15. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i would definately NOT put tires in there. tires have a bad habit of leaching out chemical and will polute the water and you will have 2 headed fish with eight eyeballs. :eek:oooh: thats one thing i forgot to mention, if you use old junk cars remove all of the rubber hoses and tires as well as the weather stripping. and dont worry about being harsh, i dont think you were trying to be, but you have to remember that we arent talking face to face so we cant see your reactions or hear your tone. fathead minnows will be great, and i would defintely look at putting some crappie in there. they can be really fun to catch during the spring around your brush piles. another thing you may want to look into is putting in some floating docks with some brush piles spread around them. they will hold baitfish and will be easy to fish off of. you can make them out of plastic barrels and 2x4's with plywood on top. just a thought. since you have a good lake that you can personally set up for your purposes, then you should definately put in there what you would like to have. thnk about the things that you like to look for whe you go and fish public water and incorporate all of these aspects into your lake. once the lake gets established, put in some lilly pads. will give the baitfish a place to hide in shallower water without having to worry about getting caught up in brush.

16. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    THANK ALL YOU GUYS...THIS IS VERY HELPFUL INFORMATION!

17. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Shiner minnows dont get but about 10 inches long and generally wont crowd out the other species. Its good to anchor some brush piles so cats can get away from predators like river otters. They sometimes get into ponds and lakes and decimate the fish population before they are found. An otter can catch and maim or kill most fish.

18. Menth

Menth New Member

State:
    Kansas
    ALSO IF YOU TYPE IN CAPS IT MAKES YOU SEEM TEN TIMES MORE AGGRESSIVE.

Does to me anyway.

Sounds like a awesome project. I wish you luck. I just started a 29 gallon fish tank and thats hard enough for me lol

Matt