New Lake

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by wvcatfisherman, Aug 2, 2009.

1. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    When you guys start fishing a lake you have never fished before, how do you locate the fish? I am fishing from the bank so that limits me to so much I can do.

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I fish the bank too.I try and find a lake map if I can.If not I spend some time driving around scouting it and asking around too.I try to find some areas that got some deadfalls on shore going out into the lake,I check out what angle their going into the lake at,gives you a decent idea of whether they,re ending in deeper water or not.I check out any creek mouths entering the lake,I also look for any walls with deeper water nearby.If it,s a bigger lake,I,ll try and find where the first good drop off out from shore is.Try and check on your states fish and game website and see what kind of cats they bring up trapnetting or shocking.Take a gander around at night time and see whose fishing and bullshit with them a little and see what they,re fishing for.:wink:

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Most of the time some locals will be around and i'll ask them. If thats not a possibility in your hole then i guess just mix up the rigs and depths you fish.:wink:

4. catma

catma New Member

State:
    iowa
    i usully try the dam first and then look for sandy or rocky areas and if that dont work try ur coves or fallen tember and if ther are creeks conected to it try fishin the mouths of them hope this helps good luck