NEW LAKE WYLIE RECORD!!!

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, May 30, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Moments ago I saw it with my own two eyes!! :eek:oooh:

I did not catch it, but I know who did. I measured it, and I photographed it, and I watched it swim away alive! :wink:

It was a beast of an Arkansas blue catfish. 48" long and 36" in girth. :crazy:

There is more to the story. Sometimes when you are on 'em, YOU ARE ON 'EM!! This angler set a personal best for a blue catfish, then set a personal best for a flathead, and then beat the personal best for the blue catfish again!!! :tounge_out:

Thank God it was NOT a tournament, or everyone would have called him a cheater!! :smile2:

Would the angler please step forward!!! cool2:

2. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    How about some pictures and some weights? Wow was this masked angler?:smile2: Keep us posted!!!

3. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Im sure well see something when he wakes up. Im still sleepy from the phone going off at 3:10am to tell me about it.

4. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    calculater says in the neighborhood of 77 lbs. nice fish

5. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...Im still sleepy from the phone going off at 3:10am to tell me about it...."

That eliminates Billfish76 as the angler. Yes, Cary's record of 64 pound has fallen.

Who could be the King of Wylie???

I will let him tell the story...once he wakes up. He was whooped last night!!! :smile2:

6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    WHO?
    WHAT?
    PICTURES?:confused2:

7. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    yeah what he said:big_smile:

8. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    I WILL BELIVE IT WHEN I SEE IT !!!
    I WANT TO SEE PICS TOOOOO!:big_smile::big_smile:

well sometimes when it is your night it is your night, last night some friends told me they were going out for a little fishing and wanted to know if i wanted to come out with them, there was alot of good people out last night , billfish76, wyliecat and a couple of other i know and now owe alot!!! the bite started pretty good caught a few small blues and had a double hook up and both were around 10lb flatties, i used to live on the mississippi and haven't been able to catch a big flatt since i moved here so that is what i was wanting to catch, bite died so i pulled anchor around 12 and moved to find better water.
    found a nice hump with 20+ water all around, set up and bamm 5 min. after putting the rods in caught a nice 20lb blue, took him off threw him back tossed out the lines again and 5min. later it hit, the rod looked like it was going to break, got it out of the holder fought it for about 15 min. and it was my lake wylie PB 34 lb blue, while i was baiting my hook i heard a sound looked around and the rod on the front was out of sight ,another rod down , i ran to the front got it out of the holder and could not turn the fish it run about 50 yards off, the fight was on, 20min later and alot of praying :big_smile: he was still no were near the boat and had tangled up all 6 rods on the front of my boat , between the 5+mph current and the size of this fish i was getting my butt whooped and i was the only person on the boat.
    this is were higher forces stepped in, i heard a boat going down the lake , i turned it was a friend of mine , i started waving and hollering , he turned to see what i wanted , i told him i needed help, they tied to the back of the toon one jumped in my boat and cut my lines to clear the way and waited around to help me net the fish, it took another 15min. to get him up and in the net , it was my pb flattie almost 44lb:big_smile: after alot of high 5's and hollering we took his pic revived him in my 130 gallon tank and let him go,
    i 'm shaking like a leaf and can't quit smiling, took 10 min just to thank my buds and rest. my friend said they were ready to fish again now so they moved up from me about a 1/2 mile and set up again, i made my calls to billfish76,wylie cat and others, i retied, rebaited and sat down to rest a bit i called the fellows who helped me get the fish in the boat again to thank them caught a few more blues then one rod starts going down real slow then another, i grapped the closest one and he took about 50yards of line instantly , i had another big fish but i didn't think anything of it , it was just alot of pull and in the current it could be any size, my phone started ringing i just opened it and threw it on the console (it was on speaker) i told the person on the other end i was hooked up and couldn't come to the phone, it was the fellows who helped with the flattie telling me they were catching fish and thinking me for the bait, well we talked for what seemed to be an hour while i tried to get the fish to the boat, they asked if i needed help i said no, but after over 20 min i said please come help, i had got the fish to the boat 3 times but everytime i got him up the current took him down before i could get him, they came instead of tieing up i told them to come along i was getting in the boat with them and that way when he came up again we would drift together, the current carried us a 1/4 mile before he came up and my friend got the net under him, OH MY GOD , i could barely stand and my hands were shaking and i couldn't belive my eyes, we took it to my boat put it straight in the tank revived it tried to weigh it, my scales go to 50 :crazy: my friend had a scale and it weighed 67lb 11oz ,without the net, and looking at the fish i would say that was pretty close.
    i owe alot of people for this billfish76, wylie cat, and wayne (the net man) lingerfelt and the captain of the net boat Randy. they pulled there lines in pulled anchor and drove a 1/2 mile to help and Dieter was nice enough to go out of his way at 3:30 in the morn to take pics and measure the fish for me. thanks alot guys, i owe all of you big time. and thanks to the boc and the ccc for this educational tool we have here. (this sounds like victory lane at daytona):big_smile::crazy:
    here are some pics mine are ok i guess , but i know dieters will be better

Attached Files:

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Congrats, Jeff! Heck of a story, there. Thanks for posting. :big_smile:

10. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    awesome night jeff.
    What a great night. congrats on the lake record and the the pb flattie.

11. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Conratulations on your great catchs! Incredible fishing trip! Thanks for sharing the story and pics.

12. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Great story Bowlerman.

We don't get current like that too often in Wylie. The water was ripping last night like I have only seen a few times. It slowed for a bit, but never stopped.

Awesome catch brother. My 55 pound a few years ago was considered big, then Billfish76 topped it by nine pounds last year, and now your fish put the 70 pound mark well within reach on Wylie.

Glad to see a 40+ flattie come from the lake. I think we will be seeing a 50-55 pound flattie out of Wylie this summer.

13. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    thanks dieter, i can't wait to see your pics, and mac said send them to him by email if you get a chance.

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Congrats Jeff on the great night and the PB's! :cool2:

15. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    Wow....................Congrats on the great catches. That is one heck of a story. There are a lot of great people on this site!

16. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Congrats Jeff on the great night and great fish. I didnt think the bite was going to be any good last night when I got on the lake due to the mud and trash in the lake, but that wasnt true.

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Congrats Jeff! That sounds like a dream night of fishing!

18. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Awesome catch Jeff,thats what dreams are made of,YOU ARE THE MAN,Congrats on a GREAT Night:wink:

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That is one incredible night with a great story to go with it!!!! All I can say is WOW:crazy: That's the kind of night most people only dream about, congratulations!!

20. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Congrats! Those are nice cats!