New Lake Record Blue on Lake Tenkiller

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Dirtdobber, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Friday Nick Mahaney and Jason Wright caught a 54 lb Blue on Lake Tenkiller. I haven't found out how it was caught. When I do i will post, or if some one knows they can post it. Lake Tenkiller is getting to be a good lake for Blue cats.

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's awsome! I grew up on that lake and plan to retire there, got the lots ready to put the house on. I remember growing up there that you only got an occasional blue cat, and they weren't any bigger than 10 to 15lbs. I got something to look forward to now. I'm going to be interested in the details, Thanks for the post

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Tenkiller is right in my back yard... and I've not fished it in over three years. Guess I gotta make some plans for the lake! It's a tough one to fish with over 180 feet of water at the dam and the upper Illinois River some 40 miles upstream. That's a lot of water to fish!

4. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    The blue and flatheads are getting better on Tenkiller. You hear of bigger fish each year. We caught several blues last year in the 20-30 lb range. The flatheads have always been good, but seem to be getting better.
    It is a long lake and the fish move a lot. Right now the blues are around Goat Island to Standing Rock. They are just hard to find.

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Well, I fished Tenkiller today... water temp 51, dead shad floating all over the place and fish marked from 30 to 70 feet.
    it would have been a great outing had the wind been a little lighter. As it was, the wind was howling from the south southwest and raising 3 footers in open water.

The wind drug all three anchors and threatened to push the boat into the rocks, so I did what I knew I would do... I put the boat back on the trailer and headed to the house. Fishing the windy point was out for this trip.

I am concerned, though, about the numbers of dead shad floating into the bank. The water surface was littered with shad struggling to stay vertical and the cormorants, gulls and pelicans were having a field day.

I'll have to go back after this front comes through... about two days after if the weather straightens out. I gotta find goat island.

6. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    We alway get a shad kill this time of year. I think it has something to do with the high wind and temps go up.

Goat Island is out from Petit Bay and the fish will be on the East, Southeast side. I just hunt with my locator til I find them and figure out which way they are moving.