new lake advice

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by rcbbracing, Jun 1, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Okay just curious what you all thought about a new spot i just found...I am kinda new to flatheading, i just caught i first last saturday (39lbs 10oz)...I know most flats are either spawning or close to spawning right now. I caught my flat in three and a half foot of water under a float set three foot deep. The spot i found is on pleasant hill lake. This lake gets forty feet deep at the dam but gets amazingly shallow at the western end. The spot i found has road access and few people knows it exists. The odnr map has it listed as marshland and less than five feet deep but when i went you would never know by looking. The only giveaway is the water is kinda dirty looking unfortunately. My only reason for thinking about fishing here is there is plenty of cover, downed trees and what not. And the river dumps into the lake less than two hundred yards from the bank opening...I thought the flats might by up in the river to spawn in undercut banks and stuff and the ones who werent would still be shoppin around for good spawning grounds possibly in the nearby river...does this sound like a halfway decent spot for flats this time of year? Like i said im new and dont fully understand some of their habits yet. I am hoping to try this spot out later this week or this weekend but thought i would inquire as to what you all thought first....THANKS!:big_smile:

2. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I dont' know .. but 39 lbs is one hell of a first flat. Congrats. What you describe sounds good for any time.

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I agree with chris,,heck of a first flathead,,,and the spot sounds to be HOT IMHO:big_smile::wink:

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Sounds like a good spot for spring,summer,or fall.I think after this post,you might get some company up there.Wacking a 39er for your first fish is really gonna spoil you.LOL.CONGRATULATIONS on a GREAT 1st fish!:wink:

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i agree try it 3 times in a row then move to another area if you get nothing

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Your on the right track David. Those are ideal areas to target flats in a lake. They won't move far after they spawn in lake areas but they might move up in your river area. If it were me I would give each spot about an hour or so then move to the next cause they will get real active after the spawn given a little time.

7. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for the congrats guys...i appreciate your input! Ill give it a try this week and let ya know....thanks again!