New Kel Tec P3AT

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by Old Bill, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    This morning I treated myself and bought a new Kel Tec P3AT, .380 handgun, plus a 50 round box of shells for it. No extra clip because they didn't have any in stock. The rounds are solid nose ones to practice with. Again, they didn't have any hollow-points except in the +P shells and I think those are too hot for such a small handgun. Yeah, I know, lots of people love the +P's!:smile2:

For sure, this is one small light handgun! I really like it!!

When I got home I shot 15 rounds to limber it up a bit. My owner's manual states that 50 to 100 rounds should be shot thru the gun before it can be considered "broke in"! I believe that it would be a wise thing to do because the gun seems to be prone to jamming when it is new.

My gun jammed with the first round I shot...with the second live round jamming in the breach. I had to drop the clip and pull back on the slide to free the jammed round. (I was only loading 5 rounds in the clip.) The rest of the rounds in the first clip fired OK. The second round in the second 5 round clip jammed like the first jammed round. The third clip of 5 rounds fired without jamming. I plan on firing at least 50 rounds thru the gun as soon as possible.

I was very surprised how accurate the little gun was! I first just shot at a 2" x 2" x 13" board and I hit it 2 times out of the first 5 shots. I was about 8 to 10 feet away from the board. The second clip of 5 rounds just kicked up dirt around the board. I then shot at a plastic flower pot with the last 5 rounds and hit it 4 times out of the 5. Pot is about the size of a person's head. Not that I'd ever aim at a person's head. I'd be too busy running and firing back over my shoulder!:roll_eyes:

Attached is a photo of the dead pot and board!

You can see the two holes in the top of the board and in the pot!

Damn...I'm good! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

I'm very pleased with the gun so far. Only negative thing I can say is that clearing jams is not a fast or easy thing to do since the breach doesn't lock back like most autos. But, even it if fires only one round and jams...it"s better than a pocket knife!!

Does any owners of the Kel Tec .32 or .380 have any suggestions on improving this gun? Suggestions that don't cost an arm and leg??:wink:

Attached Files:

2. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Bill,

Visit the www.ktog.org website. It's a forum devoted to the Kel-Tec pistols. There is a forum specific to the P3AT and the other Kel-Tec models. I would recommend searching the forum for "fluff and buff" and that should help speed up the break-in and prevent future jams. I do not own a Kel-Tec, but from what I've read, their customer service is awesome.

I opted for the new Ruger LCP, which is basically a Ruger-made clone of the P3AT. The Ruger had a nicer fit and finish and felt better in my hands. I felt it was worth the extra cash and a bit of a wait to get get it. I just got it and have not had a chance to shoot it.

I wanted to get a gun that I would actually carry if I end up getting a CCW permit and I think the LCP or P3AT would fit the bill nicely. Both were HARD to find locally and online.

So which finish of the P3AT did you get?

3. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've posted a few times on the P3AT. I've carried my current one for a year or two. I did the polish on it. Here is another good site for pocket guns.

http://www.mouseguns.com/

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have one in my pocket right now. i carry mine in a desantos pocket hoster. i fell for the pocket clip that is suposed to make it look like your carrying a knife. in my opinion ray charles could tell you were carrying with the pocket clip. the day i bought mine my dealer told me to shoot 75 rounds thru it before i deamed it reliable for self defense. i took it home and had basically the same problems you describe. after about 50 rounds the jams went away. i burnt another 50 thru it at varying rates of fire with no jams. took it apart and cleaned it gave the rails a few drops hoppies gun oil and it was good to go. i have carried it everyday for a year. i shoot it about once a month and clean it with no problems. i am convinced it will go bang if i need it to. the desantos is holding up very well. the finish on the kel tec is holding up well to in my opinion. mine is the blued slide with green grips. i do not know how the parkerized ones function as far as follow up shot reliability. mine is very acurate from 7 yds in to arms lenght on a b-27 shilohett .

5. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Josh, Rick & Rex, thank you all for the great information!

Your comments make me even more glad that I bought the P3AT. The finish on my gun is parkerized gray. It was a choice of gary or nothing!

There is enough information in the web sites to keep me reading for many hours!

Thanks again,

6. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I believe I mis-spoke about the finish on my P3AT. The parkerized slide is black, with the handle gray.

Most small auto handguns I've owned in the past have been very picky about the make and type of ammunition that could be fired without jams.

So, what kind of ammunition have you had good results with??

Also, how many rounds are you loading into your clip?

By the way, I weigh my High Standard .22 Mag. Derranger (sp?) with 2 rounds, and it weigh 1 oz more then the P3AT with 7 rounds of .380! I like this little handgun more and more!

7. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have feed mine fedral winchester and pmc ammo . it ate them all just fine. i have read about some souped up hollow poijnts for 380 but i just use jacketed round nose. like you said 1 round is better than knife. i carry 1 in the pipe and 6 in the magazine. i had given thought to purchaseing an extra mag but finally deduced that if 7 rounds are not enough till EMS and police arrive i am gonna find an exit.

8. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I ran a couple boxes through mine before I trusted it to shoot every time.
    I carry my Kel-Tec in a pocketholsters.com rig all day every day.
    I was in a gun store yesterday looking at some pistols when a customer asked the clerk what would be a good self defense gun, the clerk told him he had a Kel-Tec in his pocket, I told him I had one in mine and the clerk looked around and said if the truth be known there were 2 or 3 others in the store at that time carrying them also!
    They are a popular carry gun around here.
    I tried to run some hot .380 loads through mine but always had trouble,have now settled on MagTec hollow points. I had some Blaser HP's that fed fine but they must have been discontinued.

9. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Guys for the replies.

I saw some .380 Blaser solid nose anmo yesterday that had aluminum cases, instead of brass.

Would aluminum be OK for the Ket Tec P3AT?

10. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    bill i am old school when it comes to brass. personaly i would stay with the brass. i would definately shoot quite a bit of it and see if there are any feeding or ejection problems before i deamed it reliable for personal protection. this is just my opinion. i am really not in the know when it comes to aluminium cartridges.

11. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Rex, I was a little leery about spending $15.00 for the box of aluminum cased cartridges, and then have problems with them. The aluminum might be as hard as brass, but I don't want to have cartridges that the ejector might leave in the breach.

So I'll will stick with brass for now!

This brings up a new question! Has anyone had a jam whereby the P-3AT ejector fails to remove a cartridge from the breach?

If so, how is the best way to remove the cartridge? Seems like a person would need three hands!!

12. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    When I shoot Buffalo Bore ammo the case sticks in the chamber, I only have to push (hard) the slide forward back over the cartridge rim and it then extracts.
    That ammo is hot.

I've shot a lot of aluminum case rounds through mine without any problems.
    I carry brass cases for everyday use though.

13. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Mark, that's good information to know.

Monday I hope to go to a OKC Gun Range and fire about 75 rounds thru my P3AT. I would do it at my home...I live on 5 acres, but, while my neighbors are nice and overlook a few rounds fired...I don't want to force the issue!:wink:

14. mrowe84

mrowe84 New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    my dad has carried a kel-tec for 5 or 6 years. from what i've seen they're great little guns. shoots better than my ppk. would suggest sticking to round nosed ammo though. has some problems feeding hollow points. i hope you enjoy yours as much as we have ours.

15. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Marty, I believe I will enjoy owning the little gun very much.

Especially after shooting the P3AT at a gun range this morning.

I had already shot 15 Blazer Brass 95 gr FMJ rounds thru the gun before going to the range. At the range, I first shot the rest of that box (45 rounds) with one failure to load with the 5th round and about the 12th round.

From that point on the gun performed faultlessly! The balance of the remaining 33 rounds of Blazer loaded and fired without any problems.

I then fired 50 rounds of Winchester WinClean 95 gr BEB Target/Range thru the gun. No problems at all except these rounds didn't cut as large a hole in the paper target as did the Blazer FMJ rounds. With my eyes I need all the help I can get!:roll_eyes:

With the Winchester rounds I was firing both slow fire and rapid fire.

I then shot 10 rounds of Winchester Ranger 95 gr T-Series since this most likely will be my carry rounds. These rounds were noticeable hotter than the other rounds shot, with my tender hand feeling the difference starting with the 5th round shot!:sad2: I couldn't tell any difference in the accuracy of the different rounds fired.

I wish that I could state that all my shots were closely grouped, but, the truth is somewhat different!:eek:oooh:

Unless I wear my "shooting" glasses, I am unable to clearly see and line up the rear and front sights on any handgun. When I used to have to qualify each year for the Sheriff's Office many years ago, I would wear the shooting glasses!

Since it's highly unlikely that I would be wearing the shooting glasses should I ever need to use the P3AT, I thought it best to forget the special glasses and kind of bore sight the gun.

At 15 feet the little gun is deadly...even with an old guy like me shooting it! Only one or two early rounds wasn't in the kill zone.

I believe this gun is a keeper!!:big_smile:

16. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I think Kel Tek is gonna be around awhile. I got one of the P32's for the wife as she is extremely sensitive to recoil and noise. She does just fine with it. (I stick it in my pocket sometimes when we go to town, LOL.) It took half a dozen guns before I found one she could deal with, with confidence. I also got one for my 74 year old mother. Her arthritis is so severe, she had gun problems also. I have to chamber a round for her, but then she's good to go.
    Small is a lot better than nothing.
    :big_smile:

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i really like my kel-tec, i bought mine 6 or 7 yrs ago, its the p40 i think, it's the 40 cal. i carry mine all the time when fishin(have a carry permit) and its very easy to conceal, i have the belt clip for mine and that works great so i don't need a holster, i heard that kel-tec doesn't make the 40 any more because of the recoil, cause it does kick like a mule

18. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive heard conflicting info about using aluminum cases, some good some bad. I think Ill stick to brass. I just bought a P-11, its rough and ugly but it goes bang and puts a hole where I point it, good enough for me. When I eventually get my CCW it will be what I carry. So far no problems and Ive checked out KTOG and the range, great info on what you can do with/to them. I did have to buy a finger extension and need another one. I just need a lil bigger handle. I plan on getting a belt clip but dont know if itll be a good enough substitute for a regular holster, which would be best? Me and a friend put 40-50 rounds thru it with out a problem using magtech factory reloads, 124g solid nose. I love the size of this gun, the power, the 10+1 capacity and even the accuracy. I had a paper plate size target far beyond what its meant for 20 yards im guessing? Great lil gun for a great lil price.