New Kayak Fisherman

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by CsHoSi, Oct 15, 2008.

1. CsHoSi

CsHoSi New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I bought a 9.5' Old Town Rush kayak from Bass Pro, retails $430 there. Added a paddle and kayak-specific fishing PFD, signed up for their credit card and received 10% off the entire purchase. On top of that I found a $10 off coupon in a Kansas Hunting Regulations booklet and received a $15 gift card for test-driving a Tundra at the store. The cashier let me use them all together for a total of $536 with tax.

I chose this kayak so I could do some recreational river floats and mild whitewater as well. It feels awkwardly heavy for 39 lbs, but being solo most times the smaller kayak is easier to portage. I even modified a bicycle kid-trailer as a kayak dolly. I bike or hike it down a rough, mile-long atv road to a cove of the lake by my parents' house.

Fishing from mine for about a month, I have managed quite well in it. Hooked a cheap laundry basket to the stern bungees with carabiners. Using big twist ties to secure two rods to the basket for storage. I have paracord tethering the rods to my PFD when I'm fishing or trolling them. My tackle tote goes in there too. Everything loose is tethered down.

Next, I'm going to sew up a drift sock for it. Thinking about a Harmony Johnny bar to place across the bow with a couple rod holders on it.

It is a bit cramped and I'm particularly small even. After 2-3 hours I'm ready to stand up. I usually shore to urinate and stretch, then get back to it. I'm thinking about bringing a folding chair and switching up with some bank fishing.

I'm mostly a bass fisherman, but the south shore of this cove is teaming with blue cats. I see them surface right by the boat and one even hit the bottom of the boat! I've caught two now on the medium crankbaits I was throwing. The first one was about 18", hit far away from the boat, and was a lot of fun to get in. Not so much to get off. He was hooked right by the whisker, and every time I got the pliers near, he'd sense it and start going crazy.

I bought an auto-gaff for a couple bucks on clearance, it says it's not supposed to injure the fish. Last Monday I was out there again and caught another on a crankbait. He was about 20" and hit right by the boat, hit it hard! My 6' medium action rod was bent over, the bow swung around! I got him in easily, grabbed him with the auto-gaff, and he was not happy! Started making a grunting/groaning sound over and over like a pig oinking maybe, heh! There was a lot of slime left in the teeth of the jaws, and I'm wondering if that fish grabber is even humane. It did make him hold still so I could work on the hook while he was mostly in the water. I might pose this question in another thread.

I'm enjoying this kayak and fishing very much, already thinking about a 14-15' sit-on-top for dedicated warm-weather fishing, like the Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 15. Wow. Maybe when the economy pulls out of the rut.

I like reeling in the cats too. I haven't found any lunker bass in the cove yet, and these cats put up the biggest fight of the day. There's carp back there too, they're not going to take the crankbait like the little blues will though. I'll probably be asking some questions about catfishing-specific gear for the kayak if I can't find my answers here.

Loaded up for the lake:
    [​IMG]

Bicycle kayak trailer:
    [​IMG]

At the cove:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll have to work on getting the camera out of the dry bag to take some pictures of these cats I'm catching.

And figure out why the image posting is so restrictive here. I couldn't attach more than 3 to this post. I tried creating an album but I can't embed those album pictures here with the BB code it gives me. So I linked to my photobucket like I normally do on forums, but you'll have to click them here.

2. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Thanks for the post and welcome to the yak-fishing world!

Don't let the cold weather keep you from a Sit on top! I have fished in 25d weather with 40ish water temps, stayed dry and caught fish:

[​IMG]

Post up some pics of those bit cats and bass that you catch!

3. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Check out the fish grabbing device sold by teamcatfish.com (BOC Sponsor). Their secret 7 bait is the bomb, also. Might solve your auto gaff problems.

What brand is the bicycle trailer, and where did you find it? Looks like a fine idea.

4. CsHoSi

CsHoSi New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Thanks, I might get a fish lipper. Now that I'm wearing gloves I go ahead and lip them with my thumb.

The bicycle trailer had the logo, "Advent On The Go", printed on the fabric enclosure. I got it from a friend of my dad's at work who had it sitting in the garage. It's a cheap one. My uncle has another I'm going to pickup sometime.

The 20" wheels that came on it ejected its bearing from one of the hubs when it tipped over. The joint of my tongue extension keeps bending and rounding the bolt holes. I need to weld it.

My brother gave two 26" front mountain bike wheels I put on it. It certainly gives more ground clearance but makes it more prone to tipping over, being the kayak sits even taller. And the wheels have held up to numerous tip-overs.

Over the winter I'm going to cut the frame in half and widen it so the kayak fits between the wheels. Then I can lower the bottom of the kayak down to the axle line. Probably build a deck out of PVC pipe. Hopefully I can weld the frame back together and the tongue extension.

Once I can lower the center of gravity and not have it tipping over it will be perfect. It's so much easier and faster biking it down there than hiking and pulling it.

Lately I've been strapping my rods to the rear rack of my bicycle and going down to fish from the shore. Using dip bait and catching all medium-small channel cats on the north, shallow side.

Here you can see the bow sitting too low so I have to slide it further back to keep it out of the rear tire:
    BicycleKayakTrailer01.jpg

Ready to leave for the cove:
    BicycleKayakTrailer02.jpg

5. CsHoSi

CsHoSi New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Picture of me and the old setup:
    kayakCove01.jpg

The new kayak rigging:
    kayakCove02.jpg

I have the Johnny Bar that I put a Down East rod holder on. It holds my new ugly stick 6.5' M and Daiwa XiA Regal reel. A smaller laundry basket to hold misc stuff and my bass rod still.

I attach the handles of my new tackle bag to the deck bungees with carabiners. I have a plastics wallet, two crankbait boxes and a smaller terminal tackle box which fits in the zippered pocket of the half-skirt.

Also holds my dip bait, cutting board and fillet knife. I wasn't sure how hard it would be to dig in there while sitting but it's doable. I use the bag when shore fishing too.

6. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Looks good. I will have to keep my eyes open for a "trailer". Looks like your getting a handle on it. When you get it figured out, it will be a nice setup.

7. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Nice rig Corey, What i have found is you always are making decisions what you need and what you can go without, noting beats catching fish out of a kayak! Good Luck!