New Jon Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by CJSCASTER, Mar 8, 2006.

1. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Hey guys, I just bought a 14 foot jon boat and a 9.9 hp motor. The boat has three seats (including the one at the front). I'm hoping for suggestions from you guys about what things I can do to make the boat more user friendly, ie. rod holders, anchor systems, decks etc....any suggestions would be great. I read about T-bones boat and got a lot of good ideas from him. Thanks to all.

Paul

2. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    What kinda water are you play on taking your new toy on? i have a 14 foot jon with a 7.5 horse on it, i put a depth finder on it, added some homemade pvc rod holders,trolling moter,its a perfect boat for small rivers.

3. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Small rivers and some lake fishing, no big water stuff. I would like to set it up primarily for catfishing...

4. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i am working on the same thing right now...i have a 14' v-bottom..just put the rod holders on..i made me a little console for my fishfinder light switches and my livewell switches..getting ready to cut out the center bench to make a 120qt livewell..it's not the biggest boat out there but it will be totally functional and i will get to some great spots most others can't..good luck with your boat

5. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    my uncle has a 18 foot jon boat, and he put a pully on the very front corner, and about half way down the edge of the boat, and then a thing to tie off the rope next to the engine (or wherever your sitting when driving the boat). he just ran the anchor rope through the pullies and tied them off and lets the anchor hang off the front of the boat so he doesn't even have to get up, and he has to do it untie it and let it catch, then ties it back up.

just thought it might help if you're planning on fishing alone!

6. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Monsterkat11,

Great idea, that's the kinds of stuff i'm looking for. Thanks. Any ideas on how to attach the pulleys, bolts, screws etc...?

7. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Damian Storm,

I'm

8. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Damian Storm,

I'm with you, I want to get to those spots no one else can reach. Let me know how the console works out, I'd like to install one myself but have no idea how to go about it....thanks.

Paul

9. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i say console but, i don't wanna mislead ya..there is no steering wheel or anything like that..all i did was cut some wood to fit the contour of the boat and it's just big enough for the fishfinder and switches..best of all i doesn't get in the way

10. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Paul. Not to lead ya away from the BOC, but ya might try searching for jon boat customs on a search engine. I found alot of info by typing in : custom jon boat or customizing a jon boat. Lots of good pictures out there on the web.
    I plan to work on my jon this weekend, so check my thread I'll try and post some pics of what I get done.
    Good luck on your project.