New Johnsonville Steam Plant First Trip

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by my4x4awd, Dec 29, 2007.

1. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Went up there last thursday and caught nothing. No skips or cats. I really could not find the warm water outlet. I put in at the TWRA ramp before the bridge, went to river and turned right. So where is the outlet, some guys said it was in the first outlet where the unload coal, but I didnt see anything. Help please?

Craig

2. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    on around the curve a little across from a little island. They do load and unload coal. Water discharges up in corner

3. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Next time go to the Ramp on the other side of the river at New Johnsonville. You can see the steam plant from there. Go toward it and like Roger said its right behind a island, not far at all from the hyw 70 bridge. Stay in the channel it is very shallow around the island at times.

4. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    went to steam plant yesterday. the skip jack was in there pretty heavy. caught 30 or so just playing around. yellow and white curly tail jig. 2inch seemed to work alittle better than 3inch. also caught a few nice channels. biggest about 5 or 6 ilb. it was cold but worth the trip.

5. Squatchy07

Squatchy07 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm heading out to J-ville tomorrow for jacks, I've never catfished there before though, how do you go about it inside the discharge? I've seen several people bumping there but can't say that I 've seen anyone catch anything larger than a pound or there about.

6. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    theres a couple of ways to fish in the steamplant. fish around the edge of the boils. takes alot of weight. fish were they unload the barges. right up aginst the bank, fish around anything that breaks the current. use cut skipjack here. caught some nice channels there. you can also catch a few around the barge tie ofs. another good way a close to the end of the winter is to fish with a float and a minnow about a foot deep. float from one end to the other. catch some nice white cats like this.

7. Squatchy07

Squatchy07 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I ended up and didn't get to go to the steam plant. I may try to go tomorrow if I can get someone else to go. I would like to run around on the river up there some too. I'm not familiar with that section at all, I fish farther South most of the time. I do know that there is a lot of shallow water up there and that makes me nervous, hehe...

8. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    joey where south do you fish. i have a buddy that lives in bath springs. i have fished several times down there with him,mostly around the cliffs. we have had some real good days there in the past. i have had some real good luck floating jugs up aginst the cliffs. caught alot of cats like that.

9. Squatchy07

Squatchy07 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am from Scotts Hill, and grew up in Bath Springs, fishing off the bank at Swallow Bluff. What is your friends name? And we might get together and fish sometime, I'm always looking for someone to go. Ask your friend if he knows a one armed man that fishes that area, If he's been there long I am almost sure he'll know him. That's my Grandfather, and the rest of my family lives in the same general area.

10. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    my buddy's name is lynn chalk

11. Drum

Drum New Member

State:
    McEwen, TN
    The steam plant "area" is where I did 90% of my fishing in 2007. I am a new boat owner and never really got to fish the boils these guys speak of. I do recall going in there and it being crowded as all get out back in late Feb 07, which was about 2 weeks after getting my boat. I did see a buddy in there and he had a couple of blues over 20 lbs each. Losing my anchors and not having a trolling motor til late in the 07 season, I just never went back to try it. I can tell you that my grandfather put me on my river caugh P.B. a few miles up the river at Pebble Isle marina. The Scepter (I think) loading area is right past the Pebble Isle inlet. We bumped bottom there in March 07 and literally wore the whites out. 45 ft with turkey liver.

I do look forward to spring this year. I have a years experience of boating under my belt in this area, a new depth finder, anchors and a trolling motor...

oh yeah, I'm ready to roll baby

:cool2: