New Johnsonville skipjack

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by jonnnyboy, Jan 24, 2007.

1. jonnnyboy

jonnnyboy New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey guys, it was about this time last year that I heard the skipjack were running at New Johnsonville. Has anyone tried them yet this year? Was thinking about slipping off from work one day and putting a few in the freezer for this spring. Those channels love them things. Just a little skippy juice in the morning and we're eating catfish for supper.!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

2. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    I haven't been out there myself in a while, but buddies tell me that they're biting pretty well in the discharge now.

And don't forget to check out the whole enclosure while you're there. The channels and blues school up this time of year in an attempt to chase the schools of skippies and shad there in the cofferdam. If you can position yourself on top of a group of them you can pretty well fill the boat in 30 minutes. Just keep checking your screen for schooling baitfish, the cats will be both behind and below them.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have been wondering the same thing. But have not seen any reports on here.
    May have to make a trip in a few weeks.
    Catwagon we may have to get together and fish when I get up that way. I plan on dragging the boat up with me.
    Pete

4. jonnnyboy

jonnnyboy New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Pete, are you ready to go? I know that big boat has at least three seats. We can all go!!!!

j

5. dickieboy

dickieboy New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove, TN
    I went to J'ville Saturday for a few hours. Took some left over cut skipjack and put jugs out in middle of coal harbor. Went to discharges and cast various rigs for half an hour. There were two flowing and I fished all aspects of them. No luck. Picked up/moved jugs with no bait lost. Went back to discharges and fished for maybe 45 mins. No skipjack but the big head carp were jumping good. Seen a couple over 2' long. Thought of cast netting but didn't want to get damp. Picked up jugs and went into main river. Marked fish in several areas and tried but no bites.

First time on river with boat since July 4th of last year. Ran real good but steering was REAL stiff. Got on water at 12:30 off at 4:00. Talked to several who were fishing for everything. Some people reported catching some bass and one guy had 10 keeper crappie that were ALL over 15". But he said he may have caught 5 more fish and they were shorties. He said they fished all day. There were two other boats fishing jugs in the harbor but I didn't see anyone pull any into the boat.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Would like to get out on the water. but its been almost 2 months. And about to kill me. Guess It will be a few weeks if I can get up that way..

DickeyBoy sounds like my kind of luck... Don't know about you. but looking forward to spring time and Pickwick..
    Are you going to make it to the Pickwick gathering?
    Pete

7. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    I fished the Kingston Steamplant warm water discharge this Saturday. No skips, cats, bass or any fish whatsoever. I desperately need skips to fill the freezer. Good luck guys.

8. dickieboy

dickieboy New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove, TN
    Pete,

THATS A BIG 10-4 ON READY FOR SPRING AT PICKWICK! I am going to try to make the gathering, at least for a little while. Not sure about camping, got a fraternity brother lives in Adamsville. Real handy, beats driving back an forth from Cedar Grove (now, moved there from Jackson last summer). Heck if the fish are bitting there then, which they usually are, I will be on the river and can't help but stop and visit with by other brothers.

Good hearing from you.

Jamey

9. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    SR, I'd really enjoy that, but my next five weekends are already spoken for in moving a friends' business down to Savannah. If I could get a raincheck on your kind offer I'd be very pleased to cash it in just as soon as I possibly could. =)

Steve

10. jonnnyboy

jonnnyboy New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey guys, still thinkin' about going! It's gotten colder and has stayed that way for a couple of weeks now. I've just about caught all the crappie I can stand for this winter!:confused2: :confused2: :big_smile: So, I need to make a change. Has anybody heard any news of late? May try to pull the boat down there within the next week or two. Hope y'all are catching fish.

jon

11. suggy183

suggy183 New Member

State:
    NE
    Anybody sale skipjack I would be interested in purchasing 300 0r 400 hundred if the price is right I can be reached by PM. Thanks.