New Job

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ryang, Oct 24, 2007.

1. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ok all of you guys and gals out there I will be starting a new job and here is what I learned on what is needed. This is for anyone out there that will be looking for a job at anytime. My case was a little different since I given 60 days to find a job within the company or I would have to leave the company. I had about 3 weeks left then I would had to take my severance and try to find a job elsewhere. Some of these will be repetive but they need to be since they help.

1. Get your resumes ready
    2. Have more than one resume - what I mean is have your basic format but have a resume written for each job that you apply for
    3. NETWORKING - What I mean is talk to everyone you never know that someone could be able to help
    4. NETWORKING - With the people that you do know, if you are honest with them they will help if they can. Sometimes it can be as easy as putting in a good word for you.
    5. Informational Interviews - What this is, you contact a manager of a place that you would maybe like to work (your not sure of what the job is or what the duties are). You can do info interviews and find out and that will do is put you in the drivers seat when there is a chance of an interview it will also put your name at the top of the list since they will remember your asking about the job in the first place.
    Most of this is pretty much common sense but some people need to be reminded. So for all of you thank you for your prayers they worked again.

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Congrats on the new job. One thing I would add to your list is persistance pays off!

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Thanks Tony I also wanted to add write a thank you note to who gave you the interview and if there were others there as well. If you know that its going to be more than a week. If you know that it will be a couple of days then email it to them.

And spell check everything, and if you write a thank you or even your resume have a bunch of people look at it for you.

I should also congratulate you Tony I thought I saw where got a new job also.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    congrats Gary, networking is valuable resource. Just recently while working on a Sprint Nextel site, was approached by the Sprint regional Ops manager. He asked me a few questions about my contracting company and how much work they have for me. He then gave me his business card and told me to call if I was ever out of work. Its nice knowing I have a Ace in the pocket.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    onthe new job. Hopefully things will work out long term for you.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You never said.
    Did you stay with the same company or go with another one?

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Same company Mark. And a better fitting job.

8. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Congrats on your new job.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Thats great. Its disappointing to have to start over somewhere else and can the years you've put in with a company.
    That bothered me then anything on my last job change with 7 years of caring invested.
    Turned out it was the best move I ever made 7 years or not.

10. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Congrats on landing a new job Gary!

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Good for you! Now ya can send me the $$$$$ ya owe me. LOL!

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Gary, congratulations on the new job and wish you the best.

You gave some good advice.

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ohhhh I forgot to mention I did get about a 6.5% raise also so I could probably get it to ya :smile2::wink:

14. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Gary,
    Congratulations on your new job. I'm glad you were able to stay where you were so you didn't lose your seniority. Hope this new job works out well for you.

Glenn

15. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the new job!!

I know how tough it is to look now, especially in this local economy... that's one of the reasons I started my own... best move I ever made!

16. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Congrats on the new job Gary. I'm glad you were able to stay with the same company as it makes the transition easier.

The last time I lost my job, I went and spoke with some of my old vendors and they helped me find new work. They did a lot of the work for me since they knew I would bring their companies in wherever I went. It worked out great for both of us. Like you said, don't underestimate networking.

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Congrats on the new job and we wish you well....GOOD LUCK!

18. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Congrats Ryan: By the way you got any openings for a crippled old man? I'll network with ya and see if they got any openings cleaning the john's.

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gary congrats on the new job. I hope it works good for you.

20. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Congratulations, Gary!

Question for ya.

What do the older people do that are not computer literate to get jobs? They can't all be Wally world greeters, and even that takes filling out an application on a computer, in the store, if they don't have a computer, or access to one.

This also leaves out the personal part, 'a foot in the door', so to speak. People have to 'hope' their name is chosen to come in for an interview.

Just in the last few years, employers have realized how they could utilize older workers, because they are more reliable and have a different work ethic than alot of the youth today. Just wondering what y'all think this does to the older laborer that wants to work and needs to work, but hasn't the means to apply.

Things sure have changed and it's kinda scary to see that we all live such fast paced electronic based lives. Perhaps it's not just tobacco that is causing a lot of health related problems?

Just ramblin'. No harm intended to the youth of America today.
    Cheryl