New Iowa State record flathead catfish? 82 Pound Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by sadam, Apr 13, 2009.

1. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't mean to get everyone excited, but last night I was talking with a friend and he had heard that an 82 pound flathead was caught near Oakland Mills in the Skunk River. Supposedly the Department of Natural Resources was there when he caught it and they did an official weigh and recorded it at 82 pounds which allows it to skim past Joe Baze's record flat from Lake Ellis. I also heard that the angler let the fish go after weighing it. Has anyone else heard of this or is this a tall tale? Hopefully it is true and we can get some pictures posted on this thread of the monster if it exists.

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    true or false the best part is that it was relesed alive to grow and fight another day ,might even break it,s own record someday :wink:

3. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree it made me smile when I heard it was released. I just want to know if this is true. I tried searching the internet and nothing is up about it. I figure if I can find out anywhere it will be here. Thanks for the post

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I heard it from a fisherman down at Oakland.
    He said the guy was snagging carp and hooked the big cat.
    The DNR was right there when he landed it.
    I don't believe it can be a record if it isn't legally hooked.
    But that don't mean it wasn't a hell of a fish.
    Have a good one
    just

5. catmster85

catmster85 New Member

State:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Well crap, I go fishing with my grandfather at Oakland Mills whenever I'm down there. Also used to go with my great uncle Paul Stuekerjuergen a lot before he passed away a couple years ago. He always used to put lines out into the Mississippi and most big timers would probably have run into him at some point in SE Iowa. He always told me there were some big fish around that damn. Gonna have to give it a go this spring.

6. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for clearing that up I figured you would know. And yeah I agree with you on it not being eligble for a state record but its nice to know that the old skunk river has record breaking fish in it!!! If anyone gets the chance to post photos or more information on the story please do so! Thanks Just!

7. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Everyone stay away from Oakland Mills! HE'S MINE! You hear that? HE'S ALL MINE!!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

I really hope that someone hauls in that beast this year, then returns it to fight another day.

Hmmm...wonder where this big cat hangs out?

8. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Trust me! the guy who caught it is camping where he hooked it, along with ten of his buddies all with live bait this time:smile2:

9. Oldbear

Oldbear Member

State:
    Iowa
    That would be like pulling in a submarine, one heck of a fish. Too bad on the snag part and hope the same guy can get him right in the corner of the mouth.

10. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    hopefully the snagging didn't hurt that fish. dnr website doesn't have anything posted about any of this story. joe baze still holds the record on the site.

11. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    The guy who runs the bait shop close to there told me a month ago that they have been snagging flatheads like crazy out of there since ice out. he said the DNR has been watching it closely, and caught a few guys tring to take them, but they can't be there 24 / 7.

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey one you all that aint skeered ask the dnr officer ...most of them aroun have been real cool when I have talked to them and understand well bout us crazy catters...We got a 100 somewhere in this state I want to hook it(LOL)

13. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Hey Kenny, I was down their today and a guy was telling me all about it. Sunday night I talked to a guy who works for the Henery co. conservation dept. and he said that he had heard nothing of it. If I run in to Les Nieland I'll sure ask him about it.

I did see a guy on the South side today snag a flathead that would go between 25 and 30 pounds. All eyes were on him. He got a picture taken with the flattie and released it.

14. bigfoot914

bigfoot914 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    im glad it was released fish like that sould be allowed to live