New in Town - Need Clinton Lake Advice

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by IL_TX_AG, Aug 29, 2007.

1. IL_TX_AG

IL_TX_AG New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Howdy
    I just recently moved into town and my father-in-law has been helping me fix up my old boat. Well, were ready to take her out on her maiden voyage and decided to head down from Bloomington this Labor Day and try out Lake Clinton for some big cats. I've got all the gear, but I really don't know my way around the lake to well. Could I ask for some generally good locations to try out? I don't want to steal anyone's honey hole, but I mean, I feel like I got to get this man a fish for all the help he has given me.

Thanks,
    IL_TX_AG

2. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Welcome to the BOC Matt, its good to have you join us.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I cant help with Lake clinton but I will welcome you to the B.O.C.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    No help here as I'm in Missouri. Welcome to the BOC Matt.

5. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    no help here either lo but welcome im sure you will get some soon

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Welcome aboard! You're gonna love it here.

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Never fished there myself.. sorry I am no help. Check Walmart or something for the Fishing Hot Spot maps. I tend to buy them for each lake I fish just so I can get a good view of the terrain withoput having to drive the whole bloody thing to find depths.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Welcome MATT, The Dam is usually a good area to start or has been in the past, stop in one of the local Bait shops and they will head ya in the right direction as for a more upto date report. We always had good luck around the dam and some flats behind the old pits, get ya a map at a shop and it will show ya them area's...... (we either used shad or shrimp)

9. IL_TX_AG

IL_TX_AG New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thank, Y'all for all the welcomes and good advice. Loks like the first thing I need to do is start building up a map library. If anyone is ever in mind to go down to Texas, let me know...I have just about every map you would want for fishin' down there. Just going to take some time to learn these neck of the woods. Thanks fishnfwl for the advice about the dam.

Have a great labor day...just three days away until some catfish meets his end on the end of my father-in-laws' line.
    Matt

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    yer welcome Matt, also, not sure how you will be going into the lake, N-S-E-W, but the west dam boat access is a good ramp but very steep grade, just so you know thought it may be a little ruff on an older set of legs, and if your going to go around to the east side to the main marina via route 10 stop in at Green Acres Camp and tackle shop Mr. DAN will fill ya in on whats doing what.

11. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
  12. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Matt, try the hot water return area. Get some shad for bait by the cable. Put your boat in at the Mascoutin Access Area Park/camp grounds and head up to where the hot water returns. You can always get some cats around this area.