New Illinois Catfisherman

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfishplaya, Feb 26, 2006.

1. catfishplaya

catfishplaya New Member

State:
    Illinois (southern Illinois)
    just lookiing for a litte advise on what kind of rod and real , that would hold the big ones LOL ....i dont like baitcasters, but my favorite to use with bass fishing is a spiining real, do they make a combo that will last through the tough fight of the mighty whiskers? or should i use a close face model? but anyways any advise would be great. and the model #'s would be awesome so i can look at them before i decide...And i just wanted to tell everyone iam new to this thread and thank you for letting me join the phone of the chat/talk

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Check around the board, there are several threads talking about poles, reels, and line. I personally like an open face reel and spinning rod of Med Hvy weight with 30lb line. I have a Mitchell bait runner with lights and a beeper and I like it a lot but don't use the lights or beeper much. Check around and welcome to the board.

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Welcome to the best site on the net!

4. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I also like to use baitcasters for catfishing, however I have a couple Diawa Emblems on TIGER Ugly Sticks. You can get a Tiger Ugly Stick for around 55.00 in a Spinning rod, sorry I'm not to familiar with what reel would be good, I do know I've seen some pretty good size PENN spinning reels at BASS PRO but not sure how much. I also agree if you check out the reviews on rods and the one on reels you might get a better response, and find that perfect outfit for yourself.

5. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC playa.

6. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    Well am on a tight budget so I bought some silstar baitrunners off e-bay for about $34.00 ( I think they were the XZB 80 )and went to the walmarts and got a berkley Big game rod med/hvy 8' spinning $19.95. I have caught fish over 30lbs without any problem. I know they will hold anything I can hook, if I do my part. You don't have to spend an arm & leg to catch the big ones. Good hooks & good line are a must.

7. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Bass Pro has the CatMaxx that has a companion reel that is not a baitcaster.

8. catfishplaya

catfishplaya New Member

State:
    Illinois (southern Illinois)
    thanks for the info guys...one more question, what is the typical water temp for the cats to be spawning ?

9. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Spawn usually starts when the water temp gets to 70. And continues from there. They claim flatheads like to spawn when it is a little warmer than that and blues spawn when it is a little cooler than that.

10. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Welcome to the BOC playa

11. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    For the best cat rod and reel, you need about 30 reels of all kinds and 40 rods of various lengths. When you reach that goal get a boat and start looking for a second one for back up. We haven't even touched upon electronics, terminal tackle, and other absolutly necessary stuff to catch cats. Get these items each winter when cabin fever starts to hit (this is the only cure)! And, the key point is "enjoy every rod and reel that you use for cats". The best stories are aobut the "getaways" anyways! Hannibal Mike

12. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    you will find that anything from a zebco 33 to heavy saltwater tackle is used. just remember when fishing around snags dont be afraid to go heavy on the line and use heavy gear.

13. HuntinFerChannels

HuntinFerChannels New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wally world has a great rod and reel combo for twenty bucks i stripped the line and put on stren 30lb. cuz theres nothin better on earth and have never had a problem mine are spinning but i believe it also comes in a closed face style

14. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC and good fishing

15. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Welcome to the boc, catfishplaya