New hunter

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Balex123, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I like many fisherman am looking at getting into hunting. What would be a good first shotgun to buy for deer hunting?

2. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Remington 870 is a good one, my favorite. Mossberg 500 is also a popular choice. Both are fairly economical.

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Look into a muzzle loader. Funn to shoot and takes the 1 shot 1 kill game to a whole new level.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Curt and Troy both made good points. Thompson Center has some good guns with inter-changeable barrels. They are very good guns. If you don't know if you'll like being a deer hunter, I'd go for a multi purpose gun like the Mossberg 500. You can usually pick up a used one pretty cheap. That gives you something for small game, home defense, and big game hunting.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If I were going to get a shotgun only for deer hunting,no question,I'd buy an NEF slughunter with the hastings barrel. they have combo's with a scope mounted and boresighted. On the other hand a shotgun is a versitile arm,Rem ,or Mossberg make combo guns with both a smoothbore and rifled barrel,switch to the one ya need and your all set. I'm not sure if H&R offers one in their pardner pump ,but if so that would be a good one as well.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Good advice here, shotguns are versatile, used for large and small game and birds. Also good for home defense. The thing is being new to deer hunting ya may not like it so ya can still use the equipment even if ya don't like deer hunting. I reckon ya will like deer hunting once ya get started and don't get discouraged. It took me several years to get a deer, I'm more for walking around than sitting in a stand. I just had to learn to walk slower and keep looking. I do shoot deer from a stationary position tho. I just prefer still hunting to sitting, I don't get cold as easy. Hope ya like it and get a nice one.

7. biermann83

biermann83 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Those are all good choices of guns to get started with. I have always hunted with a benelli nova. It doesn't need different barrels just a improved cylinder choke tube. I use mine for anything from dove to goose to deer. It is a great gun and can be picked up for a reasonable price if you can find a used one