New hunter in need of advice

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by RCollier, Oct 9, 2007.

1. RCollier

RCollier New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This will be my first year to go huntin.The place I have has thick timber and 2 small ponds that I have seen tracks around.What time of day is best to watch the ponds early morning or late evening or all day? Any advice you guys could give me will be greatly appreciated.

2. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I just say pack a lunch and sit all day.I have seen more deer between dawn and 9am,and between 3pm-and dusk.But my father who has hunted longer than I has says he has never shot a deer before 11am and shot more when everyone was at camp for lunch then anytime else.He thinks I'm silly for getting up so early.He doesn't leave the camp till he hears the first shot he says"so he knows there are some outthere"lol.For me I hunt till 1 then go to camp and come back and sit till dusk.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I hunt spot and stalk here in New mexico ,we aint got timber but brush and wide open spaces and water holes galore I have killed more deer after 10 am than befofe ,Id stay all day and see what comes in on the first day ,then you should be able to get a time on when theyre using the water.

4. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    a deer may get a drink at anytime of the day,but i prefer to set up on a water hole in the evening they have usually been bed down a while and food or water may be the first place they head after getting off the bed.

5. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Try to get between bedding area and the water. Deer will seek out water anytime during the day and night. I would hunt the food source over the water. Just my two cents worth. Good luck and be safe

6. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi
    Do your recon
    learn the area
    watch the solar/lunar signs
    bedding areas {DAY}
    travel routes
    sleeping areas {NIGHT}
    feeding areas
    where do the does hang out
    where do the bucks hang out
    wind
    stand place ment
    time of day try (see where the sun rise's and set's on your water source

It suppose to be FUN:tounge_out:

GOOD LUCK

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I try an put myself between the bedding area & the food, an water, baring in mind when the shooting starts, all bets are off. Then there's the wind ya got to consider. But first I find where the ladies are bedding down, then plan from there.
    If the rut is on, tis in yer favor; the big boys just can't help themselves. Get stupid. If you are trophy hunting, find the does....he'll show up, even if briefly. If you are after meat, then the hunt is over just finding the fattest tasty looking doe.
    Your other option if the rut is on is look for the biggens scraps, ta ambush him as he'll pass em least once while yer out. I've also almost always been able to find one within a hundred yards of a bedding area. Like I said, find the beds. Sleep. Food. Water.
    Good hunting.

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I agree with setting up between feeding/water areas and bedding areas. Also look for dropped acorns close by the ponds, this would be a good area to set up.

9. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I would back off the ponds about 75 yards or so. I would not sit directly on the pond for the simple reason I have seen many deer circle a opening for either a pond or a field making sure it is safe. And I would pack and lunch and a good book and make a day of it

10. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I would try and stay as long as possible, my biggest deer was killed at 1130 am. On a side note..after hunting deer for 30 years..I have yet to see one take a drink from a pond..??

11. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Deer like humans wake up do their "thing" and want coffee I mean water lmao so 7 am then we run around have breakfeast and want more liquid 10-12 then we take a nap get up about 2-3 feed and are thirsty again. 4-6 pm. But alot depends on moisture content of feed of deer, availabilty of salt and etc. but deer drink more often than people think. But here is where the problem lays. I have seen deer drink water out of a mud hole. Yep they might be tracks around that pond but they may have been made at midnight. I'd find a food source. Good luck to you either way!!!

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have 2 ponds that I can see from my barn. I have seen all kinds of deer drink at all times of the day. Not a lot of water sources around for them. As was said do not set on top of the pond. Try to catch them coming in or going out.

13. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you are hunting "lonely", early muzzle or bow, whatever you have in your areas, and very late, pistol, bow or muzzle it is you and the deer, prerut or hard rut, and post rut.

The settled or non-estrous does and non-breeders. They will rarely change a pattern, late p.m. (dusk) outta bed, brush their teeth, water, migrate to feed, feed, maybe water if close, maybe take a midnight nappy, feed, feed, migrate back to beds via water route, bed now in daylight with full paunch. May bed all day and rarely move till evening, some get up and stretch and move around, talk to each other over the back fence. Don't move much in a large area. Bucks are out setting up their territories, scrapes and rubs. Place yourself on those routes they and the girls have or will follow.

The boys and the real women. They will follow the same pattern as above. The young bucks will be with the does. That is where the tavern is, they will follow the same patterns. The majority of breeding is done at night, and usually done with the rest of the bunch watching. Kinda like a peep show. This is where the best fights occur. Daylight hour bucks are the territory walkers, maybe a five square mile area. He walks till he crosses a urine mark or gets a smell that he likes. Kinda like you when you smell fried chicken and are hungry. This when he is most vulnerable, and not really a smart deer. Horns on the wall and if you can stand eating it, meat in the freezer

Once the Big Red One moves in, i.e. major gunblast season or seasons, hunters thicker than ticks in my dogs ear, then nothing is the same. There are no longer set rules, except at night and that is poachers time. Most deer are killed here, because they have no where to go they can be safe or follow their normal routine. A lot of bucks killed here just by luck or because there is so much man smell in the air they don't know which direction to go, no matter the wind. This is when the really big old smart bucks and whether you know it or not, some of the best and smartest does disappear, never to be seen again until after season. I don't know where they go and have never figured it out.

Sometimes it is just easier to go to the store and buy a package of steaks.

14. RCollier

RCollier New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks everyone for all the great advice.

15. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    One of the things I didn't see anyone mention is whether there are many other hunters around. Back when I hunted state land, I would be parked and dressed by 5 and in my stand by 6. That way everything was settled down around me I would be ready for all the deer that the late comers scared up:wink:. The only times I would get deer hunting state land was early and late. The middle of the day I sat, but never got much of anything. IMO, most of the people hunting state land are not likely to stay out all day. They come in early and come back late. And when they do, its like every bit of blaze orange in the county is doing a drive for you.

Also, I have always liked hunting near water. I would normally scout around for 1 or 2 spots where the tracks go right to the water, and then go back as far as I could from there and hole up in a tree. I never got much more than 40 or so yards because the trees were so thick.

Good luck

16. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Creeks, streams, small rivers. They really like running water if they have a choice. Ponds and tanks are OK if there is no running water. Running water is also where you are going to find the dead deer somebody screwed up on. They all head for water when they are dying or about dead.

17. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i wish i would have known about this when i first started hunting,i dont know how many dead deer i have found laying next to a creek,good thing to know when the trail gets cold.