New horseshoe shaped wing dams?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by eflow, Aug 29, 2007.

1. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Has anyone that fishes around St. Louis heard anything about the ACOE putting new horseshoe shaped wingdams in the middle of the Mississippi just off the main channel?

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I havent heard anything. Wonder what that would do to an already fast current. I t would probably make a few honey holes though.

3. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Do u think the fish would find something like a new wing dam quickly or do u think it would take some time to let things settle down?

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

I don't know but if I found out I don't think I could share the info with you competetive tournament guys.:smile2:

Just kidding!

Try going to the river engineering dept on the Corps page and click on "projects".:0a26:

5. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Disclaimer: I don't know Jack Squat!

My opinion is the fish will move right in as soon as the scour holes form, or the dikes ease the current downstream, etc... the baitfish should find it quickly as they cruise around and where there's baitfish, there's catfish.

6. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yea, I know about them.. They are designed to speed up the undercurrents keeping the channles clear.

7. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Well my best guess is like Darryl said. When the bait fish show up so will the hogs. As for a time line I cant answer that. May take a week or a month. But I will definately remember where they are.

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Construction of Chevrons

The Fort Chartres reach is located from River Miles 140 to 125 and is a location for reoccurring dredging needed to maintain the navigation channel. Recent construction has taken place to alleviate the need to dredge in this reach. Three dikes and two blunt-nosed chevrons were constructed to increase sediment transport. Dike 132.6R, the most upstream structure, was constructed off-bank, meaning the structure begins 100ft off of the bank to allow for flow near bank, keeping flow directed to the side channel located downstream of the structure. Dikes 132.3R and 132.1R are typical structures, void of any modifications. The two blunt-nosed chevrons were constructed at River Miles 130.05 and 129.9 near the right descending bank. These structures are intended to increase sediment transport in the main channel while allowing some flow on the lower end of the side channel, reducing the amount of deposition. Recent data shows that the scour holes that occur after the chevrons get over topped become ideal fish habitat. The construction was completed in July of 2006 by Luhr Bros Construction.
    [​IMG]

I know this isn't the new construction you were referring to but it might give a clearer picture of how a chevron dike affects the channel.

9. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well.. There goes two more of my money holes...

10. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Damn this internet!!!

11. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Guys thanks for all the info. I just got off the phone w/ someone that works for the company that is doing all the work on the river w/ the wing dams & chevrons, he said that the wing dike that extends south from the mouth of the Chain of Rocks Cannal will be extended 2000 ft. and 2 or 3 chevrons were to be made down river. Can't wait to give them a try.