New hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by catfisherman369, Oct 2, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Anyone use 7/0 or 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circles ?
    I had a few packs waiting on me from Gamakatsu today .
    I usually use eagle claw circles , but I believe that is going to change .:wink:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i just purchased two packs myself last weekend...the ones i got are 6/0 and 8/0... im going to try them first of next week....let me know what you think if you get to use yours before me...im new to circle hooks but i love GAMA's OCTO J's its hard to beat how sharp they are...

3. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Yes on the OC hooks, Gama is all I use. Once you see the difference in sharpness over Eagle Claw you'll never use the EC hooks again. Even their Lazer Sharp brand is stone dull compared to Gama. Owner and Matzuo makes a darn sharp hook too!

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Never have used octopus, but I just bought some circle sea ones from wally world few weeks ago that look worth tyin on.:wink:

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I got some 8/0 Gamakatsu circle hooks last summer. They are a pretty good hook, and even small cats can get em in their mouth. The best part is sheephead and other fish can't get em in their mouth. 8/0 is a good size. I had been using 5/0 until I could find the 8/0's and now I can use bigger baits.

6. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Those Gamas are sharp, I dont think you will be disapointed.

7. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have been using gamkatsu octopus hooks for a while now and i love them. this year im moving up to bigger sizes so im going to see how they hold up to bigger cats.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been using gama 8/0 octo circles for 6 years, that is the only hook I use.

In the past 2 years I have caught 3 flatheads over 50-lbs, and 4 over 40-lbs on those hooks.

They are very afordable, I pay 2.79 for a pack of 6, I think I have about 60 packs on hand, I go thru about 30 packs a year, do to snags, and I change my hooks after each trip because I always want a sharp hook on my line.

I dont see my self using any other hook.

In my opnion they are so much better than a eagle claw circle hook that you really cant compare them.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Went out for a short trip to try and catch some bait this evening, but i took a Cat rod with me and tried out the 8/0 Gama circles, i think i am switched over... i saw my line getting kinda tight so i slowly picked my rod up out of the holder, started reeling and he was hooked good... i would have landed him but being by myself he took a last ditch run by my feet and pulled enough drag out to get snagged up and broke my line off on some sharp logs. if i had brought my net with me i would have a picture of a 25+ pound cat to show you all. also had a hook up that cut my leader with its teeth but the impressive part was the hooks were so sharp that the bait clicker was enough to hook that one. probably a gar.. i give them a 10 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being high.

10. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    I agree with all of you but if you want to go all out and use the BEST hook go try some Owner SSW's they are way sharper then the gama's I used gama's all my life until last weekend when I got these and now I will not use a gama again! Take a gama and wal mart brand and notice how much sharper the gama's are compared to the dull wal mart brand now think of that but the Owner hooks compared to the Gama's. Make the Gama's look dull as heck try them out they are a little more in price but well worth it!!!