New homemade tourny livewell

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by RiverKing, Mar 2, 2008.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I made this livewell today, it is a 60 or 70 gallon truck toolbox..A delta Paker60 to be exact..Rigged a spraybar up in there, and will be using it to win tournies this year..LOL...It is nothing too fancy or spectacular, but I think it will definantly keep some good fish alive..
    The spray bar is made from half inch PVC pipe..It is 45 inches long, with 3 little holes drilled in it to maintain a constant spray. I used a 500 gph atwood bilge pump to circulate the water..I had plans of also putting 2 12 inch airstones in the livewell and using a power bubbles 12 volt double hosed aerator,but for some reason I am only getting bubbles from one side of the aerator, so think a piston in it is shot or something..Once I purchase a new areator, I will also be installing the airstones... Here are a few pics of what i have right now.

Attached Files:

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Looks good Matt. That should keep a cat or two alive during the tourneys.

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey Matt good luck with your new live well, catch some hawgs come on down and I will give you some (HAWG CATCHIN LESSONS) LOL :wink: ><}}}}*>

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    How much water will that hold? Are you planning on covering that black box with some kind of reflective material to keep it from getting too hot. I know the color black really attracts heat.

5. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Hey Matt. I made a livewell simular to that. But I didn't use a spray bar. Do you think that would be better than just letting the water spray from the hose?

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I never really thought about that Danny, only reason I made a spray bar is cause most of the livewells I have seen do have the spray bar, and so does th built in 30 gallon tank I have in my boat...But just letting the water spray in from the hose would probably work too I would assume.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    All the way full the tank would be 70 gallons I think, so i would say once i fill it, it will be about 55 gallons..the thing i like about it is that it is a rectangular shape..its 50 inches long, 22 inches tall, and 22 inches wide...And I didnt think much of a reflective material on it, i dont fish any daytime tournies when its realy hot outside..Most of the tournys i fish are at night, except early in the year, and late in the year...But I can always make changes to it if i need to:big_smile:

8. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Oh another thing Danny, if what you made keeps your fish in good shape, I wouldnt change it...If there healthy, and alive and swim off after the weigh in, then you did it right:big_smile:

9. carp46755

carp46755 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good looking livewell you got there Matt

10. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yeah ya live well looks pretty good matt good job..

11. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I have a packer 45 that I made into just the same way. Used it at Waverly MO. last year in the King Kat tourney and worked great. Had to clean my filter about every hour but that was it.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Looks like a great tank. Hopefully you will be able to fill it this year.

13. chris dornbusch

chris dornbusch New Member

State:
    iowa
    Looks good .Good luck.:006: