New home made bait it works

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by hdfatboy29, Aug 10, 2007.

1. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i got this from a old river man last week and it works rivers or lakes . take one block goverment cheese and 2 lbs bad hamburger or deer burger let it sit covered outside (yes in this heat it works faster ) then mix in vannilla and garlic powder and some cerial to make it stiffer i used wheaties . i let it stand for 1 day after mixing and took it to raccoon lake last week caught 26 channel from 2 to 30lb and took it to montezuma on the wabash and caught 21 from 5lb to 42lb on this i also used the spring covered circle hooks to help it stay on i didnt use it in the very stron current i placed it just off the main current and i wish i had a camera with me to take pics i am getting my cheese for free from the local food banks after it,s experation date for nothin and krogers lets me have the hamburger try it if you like just remeber to make it super sticky to help hold it to the hook guys i hope this helps any of you

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian congrats on making a bait that can catch 30# and 42# channels. I need a large bucket of that I have only caught channels in the low 20#. All you have invested is the time to make it. Thats a good deal. Thanks for sharing.:big_smile:

3. dnighty

dnighty New Member

State:
    IN
    thanks for the info

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're having trouble getting it to stay on the hook, you might want to try using some loofa. That's a vegetable sponge normally used in the bath. I found a flat piece 8" x 8" in the cosmetics department of Wal Mart for 3 or 4 bucks. Cut it into 3/4" x 1" pieces, work the bait into it, and put it on a single hook.

5. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    that sounds like a good one..it finally started raing today, so i might go out pretty soon, in the next few days i might try that, ill post how it worked for me

6. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    well, i dindt have any luck...but the old stand by of liver didnt do too well either...maybe ill try again

7. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have used cat tail fuzz or shredded up cotton balls to stiffen up a soft bait and I have had good luck with both.
    :big_smile: