New High School Sport?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by alands94, Oct 23, 2007.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    The IHSA (Illinois High School Association) is contemplating adding bass fishing as an interscholastic sport. Another possibility is to have an open high school bass tournament. How would you like to coach the fishing team? :big_smile: If it ever happens, I am definitely applying for the position. The only thing better would be coaching the school catfishing team.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    go for it! that sounds like a job of a lifetime! i have been saying for a long time that fishing/hunting should be considered a sport in our schools, giving all kids the opportunity to hunt and fish. not all kids have the opportunities to get involved in such things if there parents or friends aren't fishermen or hunters.. hope it goes through for you. thanks for the post...rollo

3. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm a ceritifed football, softball, and volleyball reffee/umpire. I would love to "ref" something like this!

Don't know if you would throw a flag or just blow a whistle on a penalty.

Jerry

4. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Aaron, I believe that there's 2-3 Chicago area high schools that have Euro-match fishing teams.

5. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    i'm sorry gentelman but i disagree.

fishing should be an elective. they have interscholastic golf, bowling, softball, etc. etc.

i think it should be taught as a requirement in middle school. kind of like home economics where you learn to cook and sew. if you do not want to part take in later adult life that's fine but at least you are exposed. and i for sure completely agree with getting the little ones exposed.

how are you going to get someone to tryout for the fishing team when they have never fished? probably not. remember we are adults and take caution to the wind sometimes but children.... even teen agers are very much wary and this is not baseball.

kids are so much smarter than we think they are.
    place a high shool program that evaluates the kids for effort and improvement.

one of the very resons i stopped bass fishing was because of the collegiate bass tournaments.

don't misunderstand this is totally kick butt competition into catching the large mouth and young anglers, what a combo!!!!!!!

unfortunately do not share the sentiment.

fishing is a way of life not a sport.

and to be quite frank largemouth are pretty weak. smallies .... oh boy.... much respect but torney large mouth anglers....... well ass along as it makes em happy that's cool. for me that's rubish
    but ten again my lower mouthpiece falls when i see a 10 pounder plus largemouth. mother of pearl they are the fish no?

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Aaron the best of luck to you on this endavor. I guess we will soon be seeing your running around in a Triton Boat. I want to get your signature the next time we meet. :big_smile:

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    What?!?!?! Oh I am so telling the principal about this one. I want to coach it. HAHA

8. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    sorry for the double post but i needed 10 posts to see the big booty big cats and stuff. and now i can see the big booty flatheads.

um!!! 3 woods big booty cats

regards, and much love, m.a.d.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Rather than fishin they need to start shovein some more of the 3R's down thier throats and a common sense course.

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    If it were only so easy big george. Believe me... it sounds solid in theory, but in practice there are major holes. Big ones that cannot be fixed are lack of parental involvement and parental education to their youth.

11. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    If this happens (and this is a BIG if), it may be set up as a club activity where no weights or numbers of fish are taken into consideration. If it is set up as a competitive event, it will probably be set up like other sports, where there are different levels. For example, I coach high school wrestling. At the freshman and JV levels, records don't matter at all. I just want all of my kids to get experience and have fun. At the varsity level, it is a different story. I have had a lot of kids come out as freshmen who have never wrestled before and are solid varsity wrestlers their senior year. I have also had kids come out their freshman year and never wrestle varsity all 4 years (although I ALWAYS make it a point to get them at least a couple matches their senior year plus tournaments). Although they may be terrible, they are still vital members of the team and learn a great deal, both on and off the mat.

Anglers could be rotated on a match by match basis, so that everyone gets the same amount of competition. Another possibility would be to have a team that competes in conference events and another team compete in non-conference events. Besides, I don't think a high school fishing coach would be fired for a losing season like a basketball or football coach might.

I agree that competition is not the #1 reason to fish. This would be a way to give the kids exposure to something thay can enjoy the rest of their lives (especially if it is structured like a fishing club). Sometimes, however, competition is good. It could simply be a bet between you and your buddy to see who catches the most/biggest fish, with the loser buying the winner lunch. Personally, I have learned a lot by pushing myself to try new things while involved in friendly little competitions.

However it is structured, it would be great to see something like this in the near future.

"how are you going to get someone to tryout for the fishing team when they have never fished? probably not. remember we are adults and take caution to the wind sometimes but children.... even teen agers are very much wary and this is not baseball.

kids are so much smarter than we think they are.
    place a high shool program that evaluates the kids for effort and improvement.

one of the very resons i stopped bass fishing was because of the collegiate bass tournaments.

don't misunderstand this is totally kick butt competition into catching the large mouth and young anglers, what a combo!!!!!!!

unfortunately do not share the sentiment.

fishing is a way of life not a sport.

and to be quite frank largemouth are pretty weak. smallies .... oh boy.... much respect but torney large mouth anglers....... well ass along as it makes em happy that's cool. for me that's rubish
    but ten again my lower mouthpiece falls when i see a 10 pounder plus largemouth. mother of pearl they are the fish no?[/QUOTE]

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I was debating how this would work, if it even does. My initial concern is where will all the money appear from. What taxes would be raised or where would the revenue be pulled to support another sport?

I can see this more as a club with the occassional small tournaments sponsored by the state perhaps. The winner gets some money awarded to the school for improvements by the state or something along those lines. But where would boats come from?

Sure, I guess they could always bank fish repeatedly and try to get into the coves to catch bass, but in reality, if there is a competition and money gets involved, the richer school districts who support the sport of fishing would only get richer.

Lot of things and variables to look into. I can see it as a club sort of thing and shoot.... I wonder how many kids are interested in fishing now that I think of it in the high school level. I am sure there are good numbers in truth, but the funding would always be an issue. The initial cost would be killer, especially if boats are needed. And if boats are needed, fuel and repairs, boating safety courses, licenses, etc. Could be a good thing for DNR to poke their noses into.

I am very interested to see the direction this goes or does it just flop after the initial announcement.

13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Good points, Brian. One of the proposals would be to have a sponsor (ie. friend of the program) bring a boat, which would be operated and maintained by the sponsor or coach. Students would provide their own gear (or have it donated, or the school will provide it through fundraising), and the school would provide transportation and gas money.

I really doubt there would be any money or other prizes on the line for the winning school.

It would work better as a club sport, but if it is an interscholastic competition, IHSA will set it up, train officials and provide post season funding, etc. It will be interesting to see what happens.

14. crazy cathunter

crazy cathunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    If they had Catfishing 101 when i was in high school Hell i would still be there! I think my boys would love it also! I would donate my time and money for something like that.

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sounds interesting to say the least Alands, seems to be awful tough to get going tho, with all the "money" problems already in place, but who knows, some places already have the youth shooting and archery, Camping 101, yea I can see it, fishing/hunting 101 rolled into home-ec, why not kill it and grill it, I'll put in for basic fillet tec, 101...:big_smile_2: Altho I think catfishing 101 would have to be offered as a night class huh? :wink:

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    That wouldn't be sop bad tho, I would think alot of the smaller rural districts would benefit in that situation..... But yea BW, kind of like the FFA program something along them lines with a major equipment sponsor, and they would just have to expand the mechanics shop classes to include Marine applications :wink:

17. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Well, I see a money maker for IHSA and DNR in the making in truth. Each competition charge a small fee for each contestant of the school sanctioned program. The end pot money of course goes to the officials and IHSA and the remainder to sportsman/school district.

DNR wouldn't mind it either seeing it puts more fishing licenses on the market and a younger generation who will be lifetime producers of licenses and the tournaments are catch and release.

So I see win win for all really. The problem would be the student's gear acquisition and boats/maintenance. But none of that really concerns the IHSA or DNR does it. :smile2:

18. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep!, By the way how did yalls trip tourn out down to Bald? Yall stick any pigs?

19. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    3 fish in 10 hours. Was a poor poor day of fishing. Took forever to just catch bait even.

20. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    How about pushing to have a collegiate associates degree for fishing? That would be something to see…