New here

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by LBCatter, Nov 4, 2007.

1. LBCatter

LBCatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hello all u virginia catters! im not new to catfishing but new to this site looking for some info on catching big cats mostly blues and flatheads i fish a small lake that has both. The problem i am having now is that five to 10 lb channels are trying to eat a whole 8 to 12 inch shad? I love the rush you get when your clicker just starts screaming, like it did last nite when i was bs'n with the boys my big rod made a noise so i walked over to it the next thing i knew the fish peeled off about fifty yards of line in a second i set the hook and fought the fish for bout 30 secs until it came off and got me stuck. There is a lot of cover in the lake and happens quite a bit that u get a good fish and he takes you into stuff. Biggest this year was about 35lb Blue.
    We are also getting a lot of dropped baits? any helpful hints to help me bring in big fish more often?

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC, Dave...
    There should be some Virginians along to bail you out shortly.:cool2:

3. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    Welcome to the BOC Dave. Sorry but i cant help you with your problem. Im not the most experienced fisherman myself. Which lake are you fishing?

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Dave, welcome to the BOC/SOC. Look forward to reading your posts. Be sure to check out the library, a lot of knowledge in there.

5. LBCatter

LBCatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The lake i fish is called Lake Brittle its a small man made lake about 77 acres. Lake has been around scince the 50's and thoose fish have got plenty of shad,bluegill, and numerous other fish to feed apon the lake is almost over populated with shad and big ones too. I know that its a possibility that there could be a 80 lb plus fish in their biggest blue this year close to 60 and a flathead arounnd 50.

6. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    That sounds like a great spot. What part of VA is that located in?

7. jcgotfish

jcgotfish New Member

State:
    virginia
    hey man lake brittle hu? i used to fish there like 30 yrs ago. i'm from woodbridge. never fished for cats there though. but i think i can help you with your problem. first of all don't let them run with the bait. i switched over to circle hooks about 4 yrs ago. you don't let it freespool . when they take it they are hooked. and make sure that you are using at least 30 lb test with a good reel. and get them in quick. i use gamagotsu circle octupus #7 or #8's . caralina rigged with about a 12- 15 inch leader. not any current to worry about so a 2 to 3 oz slip sinker is fine. hope this helps you out. let me know. good luck. by the way that used to be a good bass lake. take care mike.

8. jcgotfish

jcgotfish New Member

State:
    virginia
    a fish released today is a bigger fish to catch tomorrow

9. Kevin N

Kevin N Member

State:
    Georga
    Name:
    Kevin
    welcome to the group I am still fairly new to the group there is alot fo great people here as well as Info I am still finding new stuff it time to time most of all come on and have fun

Kevin
    [​IMG]

10. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Welcome to the Brotherhood, Dave!

11. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome to the BOC, Dave!

I grew up within walking distance of Lake Brittle, and still fish there quite often. It is certainly not an easy lake to fish due to the fishing pressure, but it is still close.

I wouldn't mind catching a 10# catfish at all from that lake. Good luck finding the bigger ones!

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Dave.

13. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Welcome to The BOC Dave. :wink:

14. LBCatter

LBCatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Today i tried again with cut crappie had one really good run but i didnt change to a larger hook and the hook set back into the bait(stupid me). Lake Brittle is located in facquier county, and yea bass fishing is still pretty good but i have turned my attention to the cats. The problem with not setting my clicker on is that most the time i am fishing from shore and its hard to get bank spikes into the ground well cuz its very rocky and I know many of people who have lost poles because they didnt loosen drag or set the clicker. When i go out in my boat next time il give it a try tho. I use a mix of circle hooks and J hooks i have about the same number of hook up ratios but i am a picture and realese fishermen so i tend to like circle hooks. Thanks for the info im going back at it again tomarrow afternoon il post pictures soon.

15. jcgotfish

jcgotfish New Member

State:
    virginia
    cool beans man wish you the best of luck.

16. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC Dave!!!

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dave Welcome to the BOC. Look forward to reading your post.:big_smile:

18. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Welcome aboard Dave.

19. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Dave, have you fished Lake Frederick or Lake Curtis?

20. LBCatter

LBCatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    fished fredrick once but am not used to fishing clear water so didnt do so well is a really nice lake with plenty of good fish heard curtis was real low last i heard probally up from rain we had but a lot of the lakes were almost dry around here.
    Do you fish either lake much?