New here

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by ravenloft420, Feb 18, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    haha hi guys Im so glad I found this site. any way I grew up in st louis and used to fish most of the ponds around florissant. I usually stayed away from the river because I would always get my line snagged, but the last two times I have fished in the river I have had luck. the thing is, I havnt been fishing in almost two years. I have moved 8 times in the last five years and in the process all my fishing equipment was lost. so basicaly I am starting over.

I want to start river fishing and would like to know the "odds and ends" of it if you will. I live in the florissant area and usually like to fish on the missouri side under the alton bridge or right by it whatever that place is called. any pointers or advice?? besides learning the names of places I mention?

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC, Andrew... I'm sure some of the Missouri brothers will be along shortly with all the info you need...:cool2:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm gets eaten.

3. Denny H

Denny H New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome Andrew, you going to enjoy the site. Lots of great info. here.
    Not familiar to fishing in that area, but I'm sure someone can help you out.
    Denny

4. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Welcome Andrew to BOC.

5. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    WELCOME!! This is one great site. I'm a newbie myself, and my brain hurts from what I have already learned here. ENJOY!

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome Andrew ,theres a wealth of info waitin for you you're gonna love it here

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi there Andrew,Welcome aboard the BOC. J.D.:big_smile_2:

8. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Welcome aboard. If you see anyone eating Twinkies and wearing a pink tutu you'll know there is some fish around there but also something strange too.

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Welcome to the BOC. Spend some time searching the various threads, and the library and then come back and post some pointed questions. Just about everyone on here will go out of there way to help you, just need to be specific.Glad to have you on board.

10. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC. Can't help you with the spots over your way, since I'm from the KC area. Someone will be along shortly that can help you out. This is a great site - you are going to enjoy the learning experience.

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the BOC andrew

12. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    wow that was a quick response!!! thank you everybody. me and the wife are gonna go have a few drinks and some food. after I get a few golden cold'ns in me Im sure I will have thought of some specific questions.

13. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Welcome Andrew, the beauty of the BOC is that it provides a platform to share and learn more of the recreation we all so dearly love. I know you’ll enjoy this site, there’s a wealth of information from an archive of past posts as well as present. Learn to move around here like your in a library and bring to the table anything of question that we could brainstorm on, there’s a lot of experience to glean from, that’s why were all here. I’m thankful the BOC has kept the environment here as a platform to learn and not be bombarded like the billboard bass circus mentality. Enjoy friend, it is like a big family and welcome again.

14. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Dont know much about your part of the country, but take a 3 way swivel , attach 1 line 12in. long, on the end tie on a single swiivel, with snap and a sinker to keep it on the bottom with the current your in, 6-8lb test, next line 10in. single swivel with snap ,your choice of hook ,20lb test . Hook on local bait fish or gob it up with nitecrawlers . Use at least 20lb test on your pole . This set up is called a Wolf river rig up north. Start fishing about a hour before sunset , stay 2-3- hours . You'll catch something , hopefully a catfish .

15. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Andrew welcome to the Boc there's endless amounts info on here
    also if you would like to meet several catfishermen from here on the boc we have state gatherings and the Illinois gathering is right close to you this year if you know where grafton is we will all be at peir marqette in June near Alton come join in the fun there will be lots of fishing good food and fun and lots to learn we treat everyone like family
    heres a link to the thread

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19791

check it out I hope you can make it

Trevor

16. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC. Get a few drinks in your wife and convince her that you need all new fishing gear... haha lol. good luck on the river. if anything else, its always nice just to be outdoors.

dru

17. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Andrew,welcome to the B.O.C.Alot of good info to be had from here.

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Put quite a few in her and you might even convince her you need a new boat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

19. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcomr to the BOC, Andrew yer gunna luv it here!!!

20. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome aboard bro! Are there any rock banks (revetments) where your talkin about fishin? Not very familiar with your area, but if there is a little current and rocks, try fishing a slip float rig. Rig it really shallow at first. Cast it upstream, and let it float down past you. Slide it up a little so it's fishing deeper, and do it again. Continue until you get bites or hit the bottom. If no fish, move down the bank 50yds and do it again.
    I'm still learning the timing on patterns, but I'm guessing they'll be moving shallow by early-mid march. There are many on here way more knowledgable than me. Maybe they'll help me out on this one.......Cuz?!! Hint Hint