New Here - What are the catfish in Kansas hitting on?

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by drakewoodie, Mar 29, 2006.

1. drakewoodie

drakewoodie Member

State:
    Milford, Kansas
    Hey Guys,

I'm a new memeber and was wondering if any of you guys could give me some clue as to what the Catfish are hitting on. I've been living in kansas pretty much my whole life and fish Milford the most as its the closest lake to where i live i also fish the Smoky Hill River quite a bit. Looking to get out and do some fishing but so far i havent had any luck :(

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Welcome To the BOC!!!
    Catfishfever,(one of our members) Fishes milford lake and is full of good information on it.
    I would go out on a limb and say that cut shad is the bait of choice there.

3. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not sure in your area, but shad should do the trick. Welcome aboard, glad to have a new member join the family.

4. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I dont know for sure about your area but I use live bait for flatheads and usually fresh cut shad or some form of blood bait such as liver for channels and blues.

5. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Drakewoodie, you post on the Refuge? I used to post there a bit and a lot on the Flock, pretty sure I remember your handle.

On my past two outs I've caught fish in 3-5 of water around timber on shad and punchbait(SureShot)

6. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Welcome to the BOC!! You found the greatest website for any questions you have.

7. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    welcome bro...hope you stick around! :rock-big:

8. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    On Milford lake I`d go with fresh chicken livers or fresh cut shad for channels & for flats I would use live shad Or a big gob of crawlers. I have caught caught fish on all of these baits there. But it has been years sence I fished that lake. also wellcome to the BOC If all these fail try Junnies dip Baits for channels.

9. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    ive fished a couple of tournaments at milford and both times,teams who were drifting with homemade blood,seemed to catch more quality fish than others who were drifting with shad.but all in all you cant go wrong with shad.i usually just use chunks or fillets but some days they like a head or a tail maybe tipped with the guts.another bait that i have found effecive is crappie guts.the last few years i have been saving the guts from wintertime crappie.catfish go crazy over them.crappie eat so much shad during the winter that their guts keep that oily shad scent.i also save some of the rib sections and use them tipped with guts.also if you can catch some mooneyes out there,they make some good cutbait.milford is an awesome lake i just wish it didnt take me a full tank of gas to get there and back pulling the boat.:sad: good luck this year and welcome to the BOC!:)

10. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcom to the BOC. I am not familure with your area but wish you good fishing

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Welcome Eric. Not from Kansas but I would imagine they are hittin on the good lookin ones gettin ready for the spawn! LOL!

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    JW, you missed on that one;) actually we've been doing best on shad guts right now. We went out again tonight, only caught 6, 2 Channels and 4 Blues, our first Blues this year. We had some shad soaked in garlic, plain shad and guts, that's all they've been biting on the last couple of days is the shad guts. Which is about normal for this time of year. Later in the year, pretty much any kind of cut bait will work, goldeye, shad, or carp. Shad guts are always good though. Where abouts are you from Eric, in Kansas?

13. CharlestonIL

CharlestonIL New Member

State:
    Charleston, Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC!!!:0010:

14. drakewoodie

drakewoodie Member

State:
    Milford, Kansas
    I live in Chapman, and have for the last 16 years i'm 21 years old and do quite a bit of fishing at milford mostly around Curtis Creek and School Creek Area I work over in Junction City at the sausage plant

15. drakewoodie

drakewoodie Member

State:
    Milford, Kansas
    Yeah center i am from the Refuge. I'm still posting over there quite a bit when ever i get the chance. Thanks for the warm welcome you guys........