New here! Need Help

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by God Of Thunder, Sep 6, 2009.

1. God Of Thunder

God Of Thunder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am from the Kansas City side, me and a buddy are going to locate a spot on the bank to fish to MO river tomorrow. We've never done this, but have tried to catch catfish at various lakes in the area, and failed. I currently have a 8ft pole with 30lb line. I am unaware if I should upgrade this to a 100lb test or not......Also, I am unaware of how I should correctly rig the pole for my best chances.

We are planning on using cut bait, probably catch a bluegill or so for this purpose (poor guy), but we just have one mission, to catch a catfish finally. We obviously are hoping for a big one (we only practice catch and release) and we're just hoping for some tips to hopefully, at least get us one fish.

Please help! Thanks.

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    An 8 ft MH with 30# mono should be plenty if your reel will handle a load. I use a carolina rig with an 18 to 24 inch leader and no roll sinker (weight dependent on current). Just pay attention to your drag and you should be fine. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009

3. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome to the BOC Brandon!

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Brandon. In the Missouri the mimimum weight in the current is 8 oz. Fishing the bank you may not have full current so you can get by with less.

5. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the BOC. Your rig should be fine. If you find your hanging up a lot on the bottom then try suspending your bait.​

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Brandon.

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Brandon! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you! :cool2:

8. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    welcome to BOC Brandon. your pole and line will work fine. watch your drag and have a good time. give us a report on how you did!

9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Try off a wing dike if ya can it will get ya out deeper.