New Here- Day 1 on the Miss- not so good.

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by east tide, Oct 23, 2008.

1. east tide

east tide New Member

State:
    MO
    Howdy, I posted over on the Missouri forum and it took me a little while to find this one, because I'm slow. Here is my first post, I got quite a few nice greetings but not a ton of help...

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95306

I need more help, please!

I'm not a bottom fisherman so the learning curve yesterday was pretty steep; I can bouce a 5 oz jig all night long on the rocky bottom of the Cape Cod Canal wiht 5 knots of current but this is a totally different story!

I went to Pauls and got some really good bait (herring, shad, and shad guts). I know a good spot to catch some bluegills in the future, but didn't have enough time. The fellow helping me recommended running a bank sinker at the end of the main line with a big ol' treble about 18" up. In my head I was thinking of running a sliding sinker above a swivel, about 2 ft of leader and a big ol' Gammy live bait hook.

After fishing and losing 5 rigs in short order yesterday I think I'm going to have to go back to my plan so that the line will break below the swivel every now and then and I can save the sinker...

I did find a decent hole close to shore but was amazed to find that in most spots my 5 oz was hitting the bottom on a 4 count or so, I'd guess about 10 ft deep?

Here are my questions.
    1) are you bank guys using trebles or singles?
    2) How much weight are you typically using? If I found a backeddy I could get it to sit with 5 oz, if I tried to fish the seam it wouldn't even come close...
    3) WHEN DOES THE FISHING START TO REALLY SLOW DOWN IN THE FALL, or has it already?

Thanks. I don't think I need to tell you I didn't catch anything yesterday.

Davey

2. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    You need to talk to a fella that goes by the name of Float Trip Willie. He won a tourney fishing from the bank a few weeks back.

3. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis

First off welcome aboard Davey glad you found the site.

Trebles

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Come on Willie, that's the best you can do? LOL
    If anybody knows bankfishing around here, it's you. Then again, you got the "drift" fishing down pat too.:wink:

5. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis

First off welcome aboard Davey glad you found the site.

Trebles or singles? I just started using a stinger rig. I use a 8/O circle hook with a #2 treble below it. Alot of the fish hit the circle and the treble just grabs on somewhere.
    Weights? I use 10-14ft surf rods when bank fishing so I go with 6 to 10oz depending on what the waters doing. Oh you will get hung up alot, but dont let it get ya down. Workin the seem I would try this. Cast right along side it, When you feel the current taking your rig reel it up a bit til you get it right inside the seem it should set up along there.
    Does the fishing slow down in the fall? Thats a tough one. It does seem that way sometimes but most of the biggest fish I caught came during the fall and winter months. Bank fishing has its advanages. When the water temp drops those kitties school up and feed like a pack of wolves. Its a slow bit but if the fish are there its alot of fun. Hey, Im no PRO by a long shot, but I love fishing and try to learn something every outing
    We should be having a club meeting sometime next week I think. I'll get more info on that for you. If you
    can make it you should come check out the club and meet the gang. These guys cut up alot but they got this catfishing thing down to the 'T' I learned alot from them and Im sure you will also.

Kutter it cut me off for some reason

6. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    A man of many words. He won't be needing a thesaurus anytime soon.

7. east tide

east tide New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the help, Willie.

Do you run the on a slider above the hook or below it?

I have a 10' rod that can easily throw 8 oz, and if I'm not going for distance I'm sure it can lob more in close if need be.

How deep are the holes you usually fish? I found the river maps, but no depth maps and don't know what I should be considering "deep."

Let me know on the meeting, I'd like to come.

Davey

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Metting should have been last month but did not occur.

9. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis

I go with the three way rig, with a 18inch leader

The holes we fish are anywhere from 5 to 30ft. Its tough being on the bank cause you will never really know. I got a old map from pauls bait and tackle that had the depth. But keep in mind when the river is up and down everything changes and the map means nothing. Where are you fishing? It looks like the missouri is on a slow rise whice can be a good bite

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=lsx&gage=sclm7&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

Heck the Miss. is on one too

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=lsx&gage=eadm7&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

10. east tide

east tide New Member

State:
    MO
    Willie, I plan on fishing the Miss more since I live right there...

Last night I fished up around the ADM-??? Grain plant on the RFT... Up around the huge barges with aspahlt on them about 1/2 mile up from the plant and then at the hole right in front of the plant which seemed like it might have some potential...

Then I went down to the most southern point along the landing, under the RR bridge at that last moored barge...

I probably wouldn't be talking about these spots in such detail had I caught some fish:wink:

I am going to go explore down around the JB bridge some and up around the Columbia Bottoms area for some night fishing spots. I don't feel real safe on the RFT alone at night and am a little nervous about leaving my car there. Should I be?

11. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Davey,
    There are quite a few fish caught in the areas you are fishing, but I generally fish from a boat with "gpolce" here on the BOC and have no experience fishing from shore.

The cobblestones downtown is not the safest place in the world to park. In fact, a few of the Gateway Cats guys had their cars broken into a few weeks ago down there.

Steve

12. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I think it's important to note that Pearl and I also witnessed a drive by shooting on those very cobbles. It was in the summer, though, and a lot more people down there.

13. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    I fish alot of those spots myself like today since its raining I might hide under the bridge and fish alot of my spots are to muddy to get to right know.......Mississippi mud.....LOL if you bank fish you know what im talkin about.

Side note sometimes it can get a little crazy down there, but when I fish late evening or night i take mini me with me:wink:

Its a shame you got to go there just to relax and fish but hey, better safe then sorry.........

14. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Davey,
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC from So.Alabama

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Welcome Davey.........