New here, and to catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Kyle Hawkins, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Kyle Hawkins

Kyle Hawkins New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hello,

First of all I just wanted to say thank you, this is a great place to find tons of info that has already helped me. Well let me start by saying that I’ve always been a hunter and just recently (last summer) really started fishing hard. Once I learned that there is so much more that grandpa’s pond (small bass that are out competed by tons of bluegills) i made my last years attempt at cat fishing. The entire summer was a learning experience with nothing to prove, I didn’t catch a thing. This year i started off early and have already caught 2, the first was my first cat ever and was about a 4# channel. Right now I have a Zebco Hawg Seeker that is a spin cast, i have 30lb mono, lighted slip pole float, and I use 20lb leaders. This is currently my only real catfish pole so far, and the reason I use 20lb leaders on a 30lb line is because I got tired of snags and stuff, I don’t want to lose my float and sinker, but if I lose just a hook by the leader breaking then it is no problem.

So I am in the market for a cheap (I’m a currently unemployed high school senior) cat pole. I like the Zebco Hawg Seeker that I already have, and I think that I actually have a pretty nice setup for ponds and lakes. But I am thinking about the Hawg Seeker spinning combo. I have read some mixed reviews about this combo. I realize that I won’t be buying the best fishing rod and reel out there but I want something that will be ok at the river and make a nice bottom slip sinker combo. Also I like how it still has the bite alert and the large line capacity. So if anyone has had the Hawg Seeker spinning combo break or malfunction, what happened? Was it user error or is the pole not really that good. Also it is not likely that I will be reeling in a small car or anything, it will probably be under 15# id say. I’m not really sure yet i haven’t fished too long but I live in Ohio so I don’t know how big they get here.

So basically I just wanted to say thanks of letting me join the forums and I wanted to ask if the Spinning Hawg Seeker will be ok for my application.

Thanks,
    Kyle Hakwins

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people.

What part of Ohio are you from. I am originally from the Chillicothe area and fished the Scioto river!

Let me recommend a CHEAP, but High Quality set up. Shakespeare Tidewater baitcaster on a 7 foot Berkley Big Game rod. This whole package can be had for less than 60 bucks at everyone's favorite store. I have 8 of them and have had no issues.

Good luck catting!

3. Kyle Hawkins

Kyle Hawkins New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ill take a look into that, but im from West Middletown

4. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    Welcome to the B.O.C. :cool2::smile2:

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Kyle.

7. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC, from southwest Missouri.

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Howdy neighbor! Welcome to the BOC from Indiana.

9. msucatfish

msucatfish New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Being new myself, I can safely say that you've come to the right place. These people know catfish.

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the family of catfishermen/woman:wink: Reps for a great post.

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Look around on the site. It seems someone was asking about that same rig here recently. Try the search function. I can't recall where I read it but I'm fairly sure that rig has come up.
    Welcome and good luck with your new hobbie.

12. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Well I am mystified. I posted on here about having seen a post on that combo you were asking about and then went ahead and looked around myself. Came back to edit my post and put in this thread link for you and .. my post is not here. We'll see if this one goes in.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86508&highlight=seeker&page=7

The link I just pasted needs to be read all the way through to get all of the comments on the hawg seeker.

(Edit) lol now my post is back up there. Do a search on Hawg Seeker there are more posts by other members on the site.

13. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    You are going to find the nicest people in the world on this site.
    Welcome
    Jim

14. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This is a great site, it is like going to school on the internet, pretty neat. Welcome to the BOC bro.

15. Kyle Hawkins

Kyle Hawkins New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All I can say is WOW,

I have been a part of a few online forums, and I know what kind of people can be out there. But with a good ol’ boy sport like cat fishing mixed in with a great forum like this… And the results are excellent, you get great, knowledgeable people that don’t care to help or explain a problem with something. And extremely friendly, I have 3 pages of hellos and welcome to the club, within a few hours.

Thanks guys,
    Kyle Hawkins
    Now part of the BOC

16. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Welcome aboard.I think what you have will work fine,Line size is fine,for what your using it for id say your good to go.Now if you start fishing the rivers you may want to upgrade the rod and reel.My dad has a rod and reel just like yours and has caught tons of fish on it,some were pretty good size.So get out there and start hauling them in.:wink:

17. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Kyle welcome to the BOC a great site with great folk's.

18. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Welcome, we're glad to have ya here. I have learned alot and I am sure you will too.

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kyle Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome aboard brother:wink: