New guy with questions...

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by Steelheadmaster, May 17, 2009.

1. Steelheadmaster

Steelheadmaster New Member

State:
    Christiansburg, Va
    Hello, my name is Bobby, I just moved to the Christiansburg / Blacksburg VA area 2 months ago. I am originally from Elmira, NY. I used to fish for cats up there a little bit. Biggest I'd ever gotten was around 15lbs (Channel cat). But I do alot of fly fishing. Seeing there isn't much fly fishing to be done down here I up graded my gear to casting equiptment for bass and musky.

Its probably been around 5-6 years since I last caught a cat, I just used Chicken livers and doughballs for them. From what I've been reading the bigger fish seem to like cut bait... So I have no Idea how to catch suckers so I am in the process of building a monster minnow trap for suckers. The only place I have to fish for cats is the New river (Lower) not really sure how good the fishing is there??? I've went out a few times at night with chicken livers with no luck.... Is there a good population of cats in the lower New?? Also when fishing Cutbait, am I supposed to just throw it out and leave it, or crawl it slowly across the bottom???

Any help is much appreciated. If there are any members from my area that wants to get out and fish give me a shout.

Bobby

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome Bobby. I went to Summer School at VPI ,(Tech) in 1976 just so I could fish the New River. I only chased smallmouths and brim in those days but I hear the river has a bunch of flatheads in it. For them, you should use live bluegill that you can catch out the new on beetle spins or worms. Fish the live bluegills on a carolina rig. using a big 8/0 circle hook in any deep water near structure. Tree in the water. Creek mouth, rocks, under cut bank. Good luck. By the way, my brothers make the trek every year up to fish the Salmon River in NY two or three times each fall and winter. I am going with them in October this year.

3. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Your in a good area to fish. And dont put your fly rod away. Get you a small jon or canoe and get on the river and fly fish for smallmouth. But as for the New River, Theres a plenty of cats in the new. From Claytor lake dam and downstream i understand is the best for Flatheads. Use live baits. Sunfish, suckers or chubs. A minnow trap will work. Or your can seine them up in small creeks. As for sunfish get up on the banks of the new, and use a slip cork, split shot or two and a pinch or worm on a #8 hook. As for channel cats, they roam in the same areas. of corse chicken livers will work. But cut suckers and chubs, and large crawdads work well for larger fish, with the crawdads be prepared to catch a bunch of smallmouth as well..

I assume you'll be bank fishing, and theres plenty of access below claytor dam were little river dumps in is a great spot. Also theres a RV camp ground right beside the store that allows fishing and is a good spot. Also plenty of access down stream as well.

Dont rule out Claytor lake, you aint far from it. But without a boat it dont have much acces to fish, the state park, harrys point and a few areas up lake. But its holds huge number of channel cats and a good population of Flatheads.. But some good bank fishing can be had

good luck out there, and the New holds a great fishery. Its best known for its smallmouth and some big ones at that. Other than catfish, theres walleye, perch, and musky are well known in the river aswell.. Also stripers and hybrids run up the new river from bluestone in the spring..

OH yea, i dont live far from you. I'm just the other side of Roanoke here at Smith Mtn Lake. Some good fishing here to, just an hours drive..

4. Steelheadmaster

State:
    Christiansburg, Va

Before you go give me a shout, I am a regular on the Salmon River.... well used to be a few months ago. I know everything you may need to know about that fishery, awsome place but it is crowded. More people fishing than you'll ever see in your life!!! LOL You'll be there in prime king salmon season, and right when the steelhead and browns move in. I've got plenty of eggs if you need them!!! The ones you buy there stink, they don't have what it takes to get the job done!!

5. Steelheadmaster

State:
    Christiansburg, Va
    I had a feeling the mouth of the little river would be a good bet... I've got some pretty big smallies already from the river, a few monsters, afraid to say how big a few of them were due to getting booed off the site!! I got 8 muskies also smaller ones in the 28-33 inch range while jigging for smallies.

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC Bobby! Cant really help ya with fishing your area. however, if you plan on using cut bait, dont worry so much about trying to "crawl" the bait across the area you are fishing. The cats will pick on it and come to it most of the time. The bigger ones are a little more lazy...but they eventually come too. One thing with cut bait though, change it after a while. It will lose it oils and smells after a certain amount of time. how often should you change it? A lot of folk on here debate that one a little. I say change cut bait every 25-30 minutes. Also keep the unused bait somehwere it wont lose its freshness...I keep mine in a sealed bag in a cooler.

7. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Bobby.