New guy with a question

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by McLovin, Dec 13, 2009.

1. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Greeting everyone. I'm John and I live near Springfield, Mo. I am looking at buying a catfishing boat, but I'm not sure what to look for. I've got a general idea as to what I want, but I'm looking for some input. I've only got between $3000 to $4000 to spend. Here's one that I just found today, what do you guys think?

sale-xnqqb-1508053657@craigslist.org.

Thanks, and I hope everyone is having a good holiday season.

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thats not a listing its an email address.... WELCOME TO THE BOC HOWEVER!!

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC John. What he said.

4. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
  5. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC.

as for the boat, it really depends on the water you will primarily be fishing. If you are fishing shallow rivers an streams....then a flatbottom jon would be better than a bigger Deep V and you may want to have a jet motor. However, if you are fishing a big river or lake, then a deep v, mod v, ti hull or the like make serve you best because you are on bigger, rougher water.

I found my 16.5 ft deep v in that price range for the Ohio river and have been fairly happy with it. Would have liked a bigger boat, but hey it gets the job done. Good luck with your purchase. :big_smile:

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC. Several factors figure in when choosing a boat. What body of water are you going to be primarily fishing? Rivers or lakes? How many people will you routinely accommodate on a fishing trip? If you have 4K to spend, you can find a GREAT boat for that price range. With this economy, boats are everywhere, dirt cheap. Don't buy the first thing you come across. Fish with friends with various boat styles and decide which one suits your needs the best. The engine is the heart of the boat, so make sure you test run any boat that you are considering. If a seller won't give you a test run, don't deal with them. There is a well outfitted boat right here in the BOC for sale section that is within your price range. Whatever you decide, DON'T get in a hurry. The hunt is half the fun!

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131511&page=3

Bill in SC

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  7. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    you got plenty of money to buy a old boat that needs work and make a damn good boat.

8. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    lots of great advice here!! welcome to the BOC brother!

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Take your time and choose your boat carefully. There are many good used boats on the market in your price range.:0a22::0a22::0a25:

10. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for all the help guys! I look forward to reading more posts and getting to know some of you guys.

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just set up a post asking us about where we fish and the boats we use.
    I perfer a 16 to 18 ft semi v boat with a 40 hp to 50 hp motor for fishen the mo river. Most of us get a boat and build to suit with modifications to the decks seats ect. I got my 17ft alum tracker semi v with a 40hp and trailer for $2800 and done some fixer up work on it ect. It is now a fine lil fishen and trotlinen rig. It works fine in rivers or lakes.

12. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    There is a thread about a 20ft jon boat for sale. I think it was $3,500.00 You mite wanna find that and check it out!!!!