New Guy to Catfishing.

Discussion in 'LOCAL MINNESOTA TALK' started by Hex, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Hex

Hex New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hello all. I have been reading post for some time now and have recently purchased a 16 1/2' Allumicraft jon with an outboard jet. I will be working my way into catfishing and camping this year and I just wanted to say hello. I hope to maybe meet some of you on the water sometime. I will be fishing almost all rivers here in Minnesota. My true passion is walleye but I am looking forward to the new challenges that catfishing will have to offer.

2. Gambler2Jake

Gambler2Jake New Member

State:
    Kansas

3. Channel Cat

Channel Cat New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Welcome. I have a question. I've never fished in Minnesota but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Minnesota has a line east to west where you won't find any catfish. Is this on the level? If it is, north of where are there no cats?

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome hex. Now that ya started posting don't stop.

5. dew2

dew2 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    No,Its must be a tall tale.I have caught channels all the way to the Canadain border,Have you ever heard of the Flats in the Minnesota? how bout the Channels in the Red? especially the huge ones taken in Canada up towards Lake Winnipeg.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Adam Welcome to the USCA, from So. Illinois.

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member

State:
    minnesota
    Welcome to USCA, I'm hopin to get up to the Red river this summer, Fargo or Crookston area. and Hit the MN river near Mankato and New Ulm. Couple years ago a guy was fishing the Blue Earth river and catching walleyes by the limit everytime he went out. I think it was around Winnebago. Clear Lake near Jackson was good.

8. Hex

Hex New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thank you all for the warm welcome.

9. bigsiouxcatwhacker92

bigsiouxcatwhacker92 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Welcome to the World of Catfishing...If i were you i'd work my way down the minnesota for some nice catfish..im from iowa but go there quite often if you want a good place to get started you take that boat up the minnesota and fish some log jams..goodluck and maybe see ya out there.

10. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Welcome to the USCA Adam.
    Look forward to reading about your adventures.

11. Hex

Hex New Member

State:
    Minnesota

I will do that. I have a few places in mind and I will give it a shot. Maybe I can find a person with experience to share a few of their spots and techniques. I got the jet boat just need a cat person to share it with.

12. dustaroo

dustaroo New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    In my opinion, no better place on Earth to catch TROPHY channel cats than the Red river. I usually fish just north of Fargo and they are generally 15-25 pounds (that is the size I fish for, very large bait). They get bigger though... Pretty sure they get bigger the further north you go. ;)

I wouldn't bother with trying too hard on the Red until the water goes down to its normal level though. Fishing the flooded Red is dirty and frustrating. ha

13. Hex

Hex New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have heard the Red can be great as well. I think I will wait to get a few more cats under my belt before I run that far.

14. DARK30

DARK30 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'm in Belle Plaine on the Minnesota. I've been fishin walleyes but its time to get the bullhead traps out. The river is comming down real nice and June is Mudeye time! We could hook up if you want.

Had a big flathead grab my jig the other night .... it was a moose!

15. Hex

Hex New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Kevin I might take you up on it sometime. Thanks for the offer.