new guy searching

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by manfisher, Mar 5, 2008.

1. manfisher

manfisher New Member

State:
    Tennesssee
    Hey guys,
    I have always been a trout man, but got a boat and want to learn the big cat scene. I live about 6 miles from Ft. Loudon Dam. Is the lake or the river the best place to start? I have a few stiff rods and a abu5500 and a PEN and was going to fill them up with line. I have been planning on braided wtih a mono liter, any suggestions on poundage or is that setup even a good start. Lastly, I just want to concentrate on something big and have fun with my 5 year old. I eat Crappie and Walleye, so not planning on eating any cats. If you have any suggestions on hook sizes, bait or Im listening-- thanks for sharing.:eek:oooh:---clueless.

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC Bud! I cant really help ya with fishing your area since Im not familiar with it. Best of luck to ya though. Have fun!

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    welcome to the hood!:big_smile:

4. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Welcome to the BOC from the Hoosier State.I know theres a ton guys down you way that can answer you questions

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bud Welcome to the BOC. I would suggest you give Power Pro 65# test a look. :0a22::0a25::0a25:

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome, and power pro is good like mentioned above or I like cajun red line 40lb test should do ya.

7. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    welcome bud ,.... i mainly fish loudon lake,some good catfising in there to be had ......my set up is with 20lb mono big game with 9/0 to 10/0 gama circle hooks on a carolina rig when i anchore to fish....3 way rig & khale hooks when i drift fish....hope this helps ....i use cut skipjacks for bait

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Welcome aboard. Try Vicious fishing line. 20 or 30# Ultimate is great.

9. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Welcome to the BOC

10. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    If you want to excite the little one take him to the barge terminal about 1-1/2 miles below the dam. they unload corn for an ethenol plant there and the small cats are in a frenzie there to eat all they can. Most any bait will work and he will catch huge numbers. you can forget fishing you spend all your time taking his fish off.

11. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Welcome to the BOC bud. Don't know to much about eastern TN fishing, but I know there's several here that do. If Chickamauga Lake isn't too far for you, there's some killer fishing there.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Welcome to the BOC.Your Gonna love it here. ><[[[[ยบ>

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there.

14. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Welcome to the BOC!

15. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Bud! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you! :cool2:

16. manfisher

manfisher New Member

State:
    Tennesssee
    Hey Guys,
    thanks for the welcomes and advice on line and hooks, you know how to make a dude feel welcome, I will put your advice to work and hope to post pics some day.
    Buuuuuuuud

17. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC, were glad your here!!

18. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Bud.

19. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    Bud,

I live in Maryville and fish Ft. Loudoun regularly. The catting below the dam is decent, but for hogs, the lake is better. I use heavy tackle, usually fish deep and prefer fresh cut shad for bait. Pionts and steep drop offs in to the main channel are the most reliable spots. The fish move alot to follow the shad so you will have to move to find the fish. I usually drift fish likely areas and anchor only when I find a bunch of fish.

Holler at me if you want to go fishing sometime.

Keith