Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have always been a trout man, but got a boat and want to learn the big cat scene. I live about 6 miles from Ft. Loudon Dam. Is the lake or the river the best place to start? I have a few stiff rods and a abu5500 and a PEN and was going to fill them up with line. I have been planning on braided wtih a mono liter, any suggestions on poundage or is that setup even a good start. Lastly, I just want to concentrate on something big and have fun with my 5 year old. I eat Crappie and Walleye, so not planning on eating any cats. If you have any suggestions on hook sizes, bait or Im listening-- thanks for sharing.:eek:oooh:---clueless.

·
Registered
160 Posts
welcome bud ,.... i mainly fish loudon lake,some good catfising in there to be had ......my set up is with 20lb mono big game with 9/0 to 10/0 gama circle hooks on a carolina rig when i anchore to fish....3 way rig & khale hooks when i drift fish....hope this helps ....i use cut skipjacks for bait

·
Registered
967 Posts
If you want to excite the little one take him to the barge terminal about 1-1/2 miles below the dam. they unload corn for an ethenol plant there and the small cats are in a frenzie there to eat all they can. Most any bait will work and he will catch huge numbers. you can forget fishing you spend all your time taking his fish off.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bud,

I live in Maryville and fish Ft. Loudoun regularly. The catting below the dam is decent, but for hogs, the lake is better. I use heavy tackle, usually fish deep and prefer fresh cut shad for bait. Pionts and steep drop offs in to the main channel are the most reliable spots. The fish move alot to follow the shad so you will have to move to find the fish. I usually drift fish likely areas and anchor only when I find a bunch of fish.

Holler at me if you want to go fishing sometime.

Keith

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.