New guy on the block

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Ethan MacManus, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Ethan MacManus

Ethan MacManus New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Hello folks. I'm Ethan and I live in Western Pennsylvania by the 3 rivers. Fishing here is amazing in the rivers creeks ponds and lakes. I have caught catfish before but there is one thing I'm not so sure about. Well maybe a few things. How do you hold a catfish? I'm not sure what is sharp and what isnt. Is there a picture of someone holding one properly that I may see? And also I fish from boat and from shore all the time. Do catfish hang out in the very bottom or do they hide in murky shallow water by a fallen tree on shore. Are they like bass and do they like the shade? What is an easy way(bait and such) to go catch some good catfish. Worms, chicken liver, stink bait? How deep do I go in the river. Mainly the Ohio river and the smaller beaver river etc. I know divers who inspect the bridges say there are massive catfish sitting on the bottom. I want to reel in one of those :smile2:.

Sorry for the plethera of questions. I'm just excited to find a forum that can help me!!!

2. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Welcome to the BOC, Ethan. Im sure you will find just about any answer to any question you have here on this site. If you cant, then its probably not to be found anywhere. Look forward to reading your posts. Good luck in your catfishing quests.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Ethan. You'll get some answers soon.

4. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC:big_smile:

5. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to BOC. from Arkansas

6. x575599

x575599 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome to BOC. Would like to help but I am new to this game also. But you will get all the help you need shortley.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :0a25::0a25::0a23:Ethan Welcome to the BOC.

8. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Welcome :big_smile_2: your 1st post should get hit with enough replys to set you straight.Trust me soon you will know how hold catfish!!!:0a1::0a1::0a1:

9. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Welcome to the BOC Ethan. Catfish can be caught equaly well from the bank or a boat, If in a boat the depth finder will help you find holes and such. In rivers going after the larger cats cut bait is good to use for most, flatheads perfer live bait. If working from the bank look for areas of cover such as falled trees, rocks and bank caveins, these are usually a hole. Cats usually hold at the side facing the current.

The sharp parts are the fins just behind the head, happy fishing. Also, watch the mouth they can take the skin.

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.

11. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Welcome to the BOC!!!! Grab him so he cant get you!! I grab them behind the two fins on there sides!!!! If they are real big i grab them by the bottom lip with 4 fingers!! It hurts a lil!! LOL!!!!!!!

12. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Welcome to the boc

13. Ethan MacManus

Ethan MacManus New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    It's great to see the hospitality here! I have a pretty good farmers grip so holding them by the mouth would work pretty well. I'll try and snag a few tomorrow after work when the sun is about to go down. :0a12:

14. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Ethan, were glad your here!! Be sure to check out the BOC library youll find a huge amount of useful information.!!

15. milkman

milkman New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!!

17. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the BOC, Ethan

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC:cool2:.

19. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    i slide my hand up its belly to where the belly is agaisnt the plam of my hand and work my thumb and finger up to its sharp points so that the fingers are stright out to the side and the frist fins are above the fingers and the rest of the hand can hold onto its slimey body. if you get stung rub its slime belly on the part of your belly that got stung and the stinging will go away.
    me

20. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    welcome to the BOC, best catfishing community on the planet