New guy noodling question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by A.Williams, Jul 20, 2006.

1. A.Williams

A.Williams New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been reading over some of the post about jugs and noodleing, I fish from the bank and the bank only due to the fact i have no boat, what my two questions are would noodleing/juging be a good tactic for me? other question is what in the world keeps the cat or what ever bites the hook from takeing off with the rig.

2. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Noodling is done from a boat. When a fish hits the bait on a noodle (jug) the noodle acts like a large float and eventually wears the fish down and the noodle is seen the next morning and picked up by the jug fisherman. Noodles (jugs) are just baited and tossed out the side of the boat while cruising along the banks while baiting hooks. What you could do is set out reed canes. Typically reed canes are cut and dried for a season so the beavers dont cut 'em all down in a night and lines with hooks are attached. You just stab the reed cane in the bank angled over the water and bait up the hook. Depending on how much bank you want to walk is how many set hooks you can put out.

Just to explain....a noodle is what you get at Walmart for kids to play in the water with. The are made of foam and are about 5 or 6 foot long and about the size of your forearm in thickness. You cut it into pcs. approx, 1 foot long and attach a string and hook to the center of each noodle(jug).

Hope this helps bro!

3. A.Williams

A.Williams New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I see so it's kinda like the movie jaws where they were shootin the shark with spears that were attatched to those yellow barrells which were suppose to wear the shark out. I now understand guess i should of thought a little harder and i would of fiugred it out my self.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok, first a clarification.

Noodling is NOT the same as Juggin.

Noodling is when you get in the water and stick your hand in a hole as bait for the catfish you HOPE is hiding in that hole. When the fish bites, you grab it and pull it out. This is also known as grabbin and hand fishin.

Jugging, is using a float attatched to a line with at least 1 hook, and a weight of some kind. There can be free floating jugs with little weight, to anchored jugs using a cinder block. Floats can be made from just about anything. Empty bottles such as tide bottles, anti-freeze, clorox bottles, 2 liter pop bottles. They can be made from solid styrofoam blocks, or foam noodles that kids use as pool toys.

Now, Jugging is done from a boat. If you are shore bound, you might check into limb lines, and set lines. Both of these can be ran from shore.

5. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    TDawg, I thought about that as I made my post. I didnt post on that but shoulda. I was assuming he was asking about using the kid's noodles when jug fishing. Thanks for clarifying though.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yeah, seems like at times we need grammer or syntax police on the site. It gets me going also to hear about the flat no-roll sinkers. There are two sinkers of this type. A flat, tear dropped shaped sinker which actual name is a NO-SNAG sinker. It has a hole in one end that the line is fastened to by a knot, swivel or allowed to slide through. The other flat sinker, which is appx 5/15 to 3/8 inch thick and somewhat oval in shape, has a hole running lengthwise through the sinker, similar to an egg sinker. This is the NO-ROLL sinker. Don't know why it bothers me when I hear brothers naming them the opposite as to what they actually are named - guess it is just the syntax police in me. LOL.

7. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    In recent years since most "jugs" are being made from swimming noodles, it's being called noodling more and more. I call it that too. Kinda silly to it jugging when you use noodles. :big_smile:

As for noodling being grabbing fish underwater, that's a regional term, here in Bama it's called grappling.

No need for speech cops around here. We're too diverse for that. He'd be busy during crappie, sac-a-lait, white perch, speckled perch, specks, calico bass, papermouth, tinmouth, bachelor perch, freckle slab season:tounge_out:

8. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    You got it. Check out my signature line.