new guy... going to cannelton

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by kycatter, Jul 26, 2008.

1. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    whats up guys. me and my buddy are heading out to cannelton dam tonight in seek of some big cats. ive never been there before but heard great things. just looking for some guidance as far as what type of bait works well out there and where to fish from (i do not own a boat). Ive got some bluegill in the freezer... anything else i should try? chicken liver? dip bait?

this looks like a great community and im proud to now be a member :smile2:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nick Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Good luck tonight. Use what bait you have. Let us know how it went.

3. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I myself have never cought a big fish in the dark there. I do best about first 4 hours of day light and maybe last 2 hours of light. but thats just me. I got a 47 lbs'er 5 days ago at around 6:30pm.

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Nick! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you! :cool2:

Can't tell ya much about KY, only been there once (national catfish1.com gathering '06), and didn't fish then. Generally for catfish, live and fresh cut bait works well. Got a cast net?

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    welcome to the boc, this site is full of good info and great people

6. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Welcome to the site. I fish Cannelton alot from a boat. I have my best luck on large shinners and skipjack, both live. This year I have not caught any big fish but I have caught a lot of fish. My biggest in the past is a 52 pound blue. If you need to buy bait there is a great bait house near the ramp in Hawseville (Outback Bait House). Good luck.

7. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the info guys. well... we got there at about midnight and fished till 8am. didnt catch a thing. we were about 50 feet to the left of the big rocks next to the dam and we even tried fishing from the big rocks too. all we had for bait were 4 bluegill and they didnt last long because we kept getting snagged on the bottom. so then we used chicken liver and didnt have any luck with that either. ive heard cut bait is best so i guess we will have to go back during the day and try that.

will bluegill work well for bait out there or do i need to find some skipjack or shad? also wheres a hot spot to fish from the bank? im determined to catch something out there haha. all ive ever caught in the past elsewhere were channel cats about 8lbs and smaller. im ready for the biggens!

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Nick.

9. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks again for the info. Where exactly is the bait house in hawesville? I have a map to look at in reference if someone could just tell me where.

10. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Im going to cannelton here in about an hour or so with my son and my dad. looking for another cat and some skipps. I'll post later how it went.

11. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If you come intotown from Hwy 60, turn left at the first light. The bait house is on your left about 1000 ft. If you get to the gas station you have gone too far. Look for a sign in the shape of a fish. The store is a metal bld. in the back of the owners house. He carries both live and cut bait. The address 495 Main St. and the phone # is (270)927-6238. Just go to the door of the bld. and if no one is there try knocking on the door of the house. Good luck, I hope to be ther this weekend myself.

12. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Nick. Cut or live bluegill will work fine, shad and skipjack were hard to find lastweekend.

13. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Awsome. Thanks a lot man, you are very helpful. I plan on going back to cannelton in a couple weeks... hopefully with better luck.

14. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We left from down there before it got dark went with no bait. cought one skip around 10 inches long but enought to get the two cat poles out. in around 2 hours we ( my son) cought 2 blues and one flat on the cat poles and I cought the one skipp and 2 moon eyes and my dad left smellin a little skunky but ya didnt here that from me:roll_eyes: lol but anyways the cats my boy reeled in were 12 lbs blue,8 lbs blue and 6lbs flat.

15. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well... me and the girlfriend are heading out to cannelton again tomorrow... going to give her another shot. Plan on getting there at about 5:30pm and staying till about mignight. This time we are going to stop by the baitshop in hawesville to pick up some bait instead of just fishing with bluegill. Anybody have suggestions as far as where to fish from the bank out there? Off the big rocks or what? Im just really itching to catch a good size fish since all Ive caught in the past are channels. :tounge_out:

16. wildcatter

wildcatter New Member

State:
    Irvington, Ky
    Welcome to the B.O.C. have a great night fishin. Wish I could be there.

17. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    hey nick I will probably be out there. my son is wanting to go and school started back for him this morning so I'm looking at about 5 to 7 pm this evening. if your there come say hey we will be in a green ford sport-trac. but there I'll probably be in the rocks some where, there is a spot I like but have to see if anyone else is there first or not.

18. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have fished from boat and bank there. just got the boat but from the bank for about 15yrs. go past the rocks all the way around the sand to where the point of the sand is in the water. go to the edge of the point. stop at j.n. bait shop and get couple jars of shad guts. call him early to have him set them out so they will thaw. (270-927-6238) its a good walk to the point. u can see it from the big rocks its around the curve then right there. throw as far as you can toward the dam but u arent even close to the dam. put big gob of shad guts and or cut bait. shad guts is the best for more fish cut for bigger fish though my biggest 48 pounds came off guts. at night those fish will stray away fom the dam and come into that shallow water. i have caught thousands of cats from that point anywhere from the 1pound to 20pound range . and there are no snags. i use 2 inch glow stcks and i tape them to the end of my rod and i set about 6 poles out about 20 feet from each other. u can see the smallest strike from 100 yards away. havent fished off the bank there for 2 yrs since i got my boat but i have never ever went fishless up there off the sand. i hate the rocks to much snags and my tackle is to expensive for that. let me know how u do.

19. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    and when the water is flooding get with me cause i have spots up there that will amaze u when its almost over the dam wall i have seen monster fish come out of one small hole but only when the water is way way up. 2 yrs ago i pulled out about 100 pounds of cats in maybe 45 minutes. biggest being 19 pounds but alot of fish and missed alot also seen 80 pounder come from same hole. i went out here in owensboro wednsday before we got a storm and i had a fish break 40 pound power pro and another one break my friends 40 pound trilene. my fault because i had been messing with my drag and had it to tight still they broke it like it was nothing and this was new line. sure would have like to seen them

20. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the info! Ill definatly try fishing off that point sometime.