New gun - Remington Model 742 Woodsmaster 30-06

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by CNTRYBOY, Nov 3, 2008.

1. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Well guys, I have a good wife! She let me slurge this weekend and get me a new BIG BOY TOY!!!

It is a Remington Model 742 Woodsmaster 30-06, with a Tasco 6x-24x40 scope(New). Bought the gun and scope at a pawn shop. Purchased the sling from Wally World! :wink:

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Nice, very nice! :wink:

I have never used Tasco scopes, how do you like it?

3. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I had a tasco scope on a 30/30 one time and it was excellent for the money. It go beat and banged a lot and never lost zero.

But mine wasn't as clear on the highest power as a leopold or something like that. But overall excellent.:wink:

4. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Paul - I will let ya know how well it does this season as well as post a pic of the gn as soon as i get the wife to send me a pic. A lot quicker to do it here at work than at home!!!

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I've owned several Tasco scopes over the years on several different guns. For the money they are real good scopes. Yes there are a lot better scopes out there if you got or can afford them.

6. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    The 742 woodsmaster is a very good rifle and I'm sure it will give you good
    service. The 742 is getting harder to find, the 7400 and the model 4 being
    more common. Good luck with your new rifle.

7. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Looking forward to the pictures. Going to look into Tasco for a few I have.

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Your going to like the 742. I have a 740 in a 30.06, and I absolutely love it. Can't remember what scope I have, but I do know I can hit a pop can at 300 yards with no sweat. Later Andy

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    congrats newt.i have a tasco on my 30 30 and it works great.good luck in the up coming season.

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats on your rifle. The tasco is a good scope. I shoot a redfield but have had some tasco's too.

11. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Here are the picks of my new rifle. At least new to me! Still have to get the scope sighted in.

Attached Files:

12. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Newt... Did you put that scope on yourself or was it already on the gun when you bought it?

13. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I killed my first deer with a 742 and still have it today. It was my grandfathers gun and he gave it to my years ago. He bought it the first year they came out with that model and I think he gave $108 for it. My son gets it next.

14. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Kevin......got your pm. I redid the scope on the rifle and moved it forward. Lot better fit....Thanks! Bore sighted it this evening and will test fire it tomorrow after work to see how well I did.

But, in order to move the scope forward, I had to remove the rear open sigths. The scope is too big to mount with it on, that is why it was so far back!

15. mrowe84

mrowe84 New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I've heard people talk bad about 742's before, but I've had nothing but great luck with mine. Shoots as good as most of my bolt guns. Gongrats on gettin a great new toy. Hope you enjoy it as much as i enjoy mine.

16. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Congrats on the new gun . I have an inherited 30-30 so don't know anything about your gun looks killer tho (pardon the pun ) :wink: I have a tasco on mine and it has been on that rifle for over 15 years !

17. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Bro in law has a 742 and has for years. Killed loads of deer with it. I've got the newer version... a 7400. Just like the 742 only different checkering on the stock and forearm.

18. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Got my pb today! See the Thread I made to view pics!!! The rifle and scope done its job and was right on target! Resulted with me a 9 point buck on opening Day!

19. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Saw the thread! Nice looking deer, it is sweet that you got with the new rifle